PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter IV

Comments

• b_girl
    b_girl Posts: 266 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Morning everyone :) It's quite nippy here again today (West Mids) but not too bad when doing housework and entertaining a 7 month old. Luckily it's dry and windy so got a big load of washing blowing away on the line.

This weekend I managed to do a few winter preps:
    - Put thermal sheets on DD cot and our bed
    - Bought and fitted tap cover from @ldi
    - Bought DH some thick socks
    - Found out slanket and actually wore it sat evening as was a bit chilly
    - Bought @ldi window insulation kit
    - Tested out gas fire in living room - all working fine
    - Bidding on snowsuit on eb@y for DD
    - Cut cardboard for radiator backers to size. Now just need to add foil onto them.

Hoping to tick off a few more things on my list today. Thinking of making a big vat of soup and freezing into portions.

Hoping I can get everything done in time, winter is fast approaching! :eek:

Trying to live a good life on little money :T
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    I put our winter duvet on the bed a few days ago. Can I confess to it being too early and that we struggle under the weight (and heat!) of the thing.

My duvet was a wilko's one from 2 years ago and for being a cheapo duvet I can recommend it most definitely. :)
  • I'll be putting out our winter duvet tonight. We've had two summer duvets on the last few nights as we've been so cold. I was hopeful that last weeks weather was a blip - but now I'm not so certain. So I'll bite the bullet and swap the duvets!
    14 projects in 2014: 3/14
  • The_Boss
    The_Boss Posts: 5,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Pooky wrote: »
    Nets won't help at all (unless you're planning on having them to thick and bunched up to see out of). A roller blind would be best (or Venetian blind) or add some thick thermal linings to the curtains to take up some of the "gap".

Awills - I'd worry that the packing blankets are going to be quite heavy? Or am I thinking of the wrong thing?

Whilst fleece will help with curtain linings, the ready made thermal ones aren't that expensive and just hook on to your rail/pole or into existing curtains. It's a lot less faff. If you can use a sewing machine then you can buy thermal lining by the meter too and it's just a case joining widths for wide curtains, a bottom hem and a bit of thin header tape on top.

Thanks for your input. The issue seems to be that there is a slight draught coming through (assume this should not be the case) and you can see the curtains moving at night (fortunately it's not a ghost!). I was hoping the net curtains would provide an extra barrier in preventing the draught from getting through as opposed to properly insulating the place I guess.

Will also look into the other advice given.
  • Weather here (Out skirts of Bristol) Has been a nightmare over the weekend. Heavy rain & very windy. Luckily not very cold therefore no need for heating as yet. So my plan of OCT/ NOV for a gas bottle is holding its own. (For the time being anyways)

I was wanting to ask you parents for some advice.

My (B) & SIL have not long had their first baby. This is also their first winter in their own home. I have printed them off the winter prep list - Sorry cant remember poster. However they have been trying to think of “BABY WINTER PREP” But have no idea where to start.

So, I would be grateful is any of you parents could take the time in letting me (US) what prep would be good for bubs. She will be approaching 5-6 months at Dec. But will be in her own room before then.

Many thanks.
    Future goals:
    Become debt free.
    Beat Depression.
    Be happy & healthy
  • Pooky wrote: »
    Awills - I'd worry that the packing blankets are going to be quite heavy? Or am I thinking of the wrong thing?

Whilst fleece will help with curtain linings, the ready made thermal ones aren't that expensive and just hook on to your rail/pole or into existing curtains. It's a lot less faff. If you can use a sewing machine then you can buy thermal lining by the meter too and it's just a case joining widths for wide curtains, a bottom hem and a bit of thin header tape on top.

The thermal linings have the added advantage of keeping heat out in the summer and preventing sun fading to your curtains.

not worried about them being heavy as got some poles up already, the lighter rails I would not consider using them with due to the weight. Thermal ones for my windows would be a lot more, but thanks for mentioning them, might save up and get some for my sons room as he has the smallest windows. I have a very long drop on the downstairs windows (bay and an extra) and also want to make up three door curtains so figure these will be ideal. Find out tomorrow when they arrive.
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Weather here (Out skirts of Bristol) Has been a nightmare over the weekend. Heavy rain & very windy. Luckily not very cold therefore no need for heating as yet. So my plan of OCT/ NOV for a gas bottle is holding its own. (For the time being anyways)

My (B) & SIL have not long had their first baby. This is also their first winter in their own home. I have printed them off the winter prep list - Sorry cant remember poster. However they have been trying to think of “BABY WINTER PREP” But have no idea where to start.

So, I would be grateful is any of you parents could take the time in letting me (US) what prep would be good for bubs. She will be approaching 5-6 months at Dec. But will be in her own room before then.

Many thanks.

They could be looking now for cheap snowsuits whilst people are getting rid of them (fleabay, etc) and baby sleeping bags. Please don't take offence, but we kept ours in our room until well over 12 months - I know everyone's different, but 1 room is cheaper to heat, if baby chucks the covers, is ill, or whatever, it's so much easier to sort out in one room, than toing and froing.

If the baby's on solids by then, mum could do batch cooking baby meals and freeze in small portions to reheat quickly. Thinking pureed fruit/veg, simple soups/casseroles (remember no salt or sugar!).

Like with adults, several thin layers are better than one thick one, and by that age baby will only need as many clothes as an adult, certainly inside, for the weather/temperature. More outside, obviously, as they're still in a pram.

Stock up on nappies, baby toiletries/medicines, any baby food they buy - trust me, it's no fun trudging through carp weather, snow, rain, ice, etc., cos you've run out of nappies or baby milk or, God forbid, loo rolls! Ask me how I know! :eek::rotfl:

HTH

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Weather here (Out skirts of Bristol) Has been a nightmare over the weekend. Heavy rain & very windy. Luckily not very cold therefore no need for heating as yet. So my plan of OCT/ NOV for a gas bottle is holding its own. (For the time being anyways)

Many thanks.

It's been a little while princess but DD was 1 when we first began living in the cold damp house.

It would depend on what the room temperature would be when sleeping I guess. For want of trying we couldn't get the children's room temp over 16 degrees back then so it meant that they slept on a fleece blanket on top of their sheet - warmer, and youngest had a sleeping bag (they are especially for babies) so she wouldn't kick off the blankets at night. Long sleeve vests under baby grows. Sometimes even scratch mittens for cold hands but my DD would never keep them on.

Just be aware that it's important for babies especially not to get too hot so if the heating is on and at a temp of around 18 degrees then alter the layers accordingly.

Have a read of this http://www.babies.co.uk/sleeping/a/blankets-and-bedding/

HTH :)
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,980 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I never did any extra winter prep for baby.. I already had snowsuits and footmuffs because they are part of the essentials.. Other than that you buy nappies/etc when you do your normal shopping so there isn't really anything else to get.

Though I do advocate buying footmuffs/snowsuits before they are needed because they are so much cheaper.. I got an almost new £70 footmuff for £5 in July.. come October they were going for £40+

Sleeping bags are a good idea.. though again these are essentials to me. Plus I keep them in my room for a good 12-18 months so nice and warm.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • calicocat wrote: »
    I've just moved to the coast in northumberland, and I think i'm in for a shock as to how cold it's going to be. With a bit of luck the snow won't be as bad as where I used to live due to the salty air.

My family are all from Northumberland so know it very well - and still there loads. If you're right on the coast you shouldn't get too much snow but it can still snow a fair bit inland a bit.
    So, I would be grateful is any of you parents could take the time in letting me (US) what prep would be good for bubs.
    Cheapskate wrote: »
    If the baby's on solids by then, mum could do batch cooking baby meals and freeze in small portions to reheat quickly. Thinking pureed fruit/veg, simple soups/casseroles (remember no salt or sugar!).

That's what I was going to suggest but also have some jars as well in case of a prolonged power cut.

I'd also stock up on everyday essentials such as nappies, baby wipes etc
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure