Yet another IPA query

I was made BR in May and got an IPA which didnt start until September. I have expenditure for my pets which is not counted as essential by the OR, but since my BR I have been still covering their costs by saving money in other areas.

Last month my car needed significant repairs which I simply couldnt afford, so my dad gave me some money to cover the repairs. I am aware that under the terms of my BR I should declare this to the OR, but I have a query - legally my dad owns my pets, so can the money he has given me be offset against their expenditure which I have been covering myself?

Comments

• sniggings
    sniggings Posts: 5,281
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    your dad can give you gifts of money, you do not have to inform your OR.
  • Really? Seriously? OMG you have made my YEAR let alone made my day :j:j:j:j

I was convinced that the money would be counted as a windfall, or an increase to my income and expenditure that I had to report, or something like that!

A HUGE thank you, how I wish I had asked before instead of worrying myself sick about it :o
  • sniggings
    Forumite
    yes really :)

Just to check, when you say pet expenses were not accepted, do you mean all pet expenses or only some, as pet expenses are a reasonable expense, granted maybe ribbons for the dogs fringe would be pushing it ;)
  • The OR would allow costs for basic dog food - I am not prepared to feed the brand they suggested as it contains known carcinogens and has been proven to be medically harmful to dogs :o

ETA - I do realise that basic costs are all that are essential of course :)
  • PippaGirl_2
    PippaGirl_2 Posts: 2,218 Forumite
    Also f you have unsual expenses such as repairs to a car you can request a suspension on your IPA for a month or two, then your IPA restarts and the suspended months get added on at the end instead.
    "Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." Dalai Lama
  • sniggings
    Forumite
    PippaGirl wrote: »
    Also f you have unsual expenses such as repairs to a car you can request a suspension on your IPA for a month or two, then your IPA restarts and the suspended months get added on at the end instead.

any £0 or lowered payments on an IPA count towards the 3 years, they do not get added on at the end, if the IPA was set for 3 years.

If the IPA is set for less than 3 years, which is not the norm, then they can be added on but still can not go over 3 years.
  • PippaGirl_2
    PippaGirl_2 Posts: 2,218 Forumite
    sniggings wrote: »
    any £0 or lowered payments on an IPA count towards the 3 years, they do not get added on at the end, if the IPA was set for 3 years.

If the IPA is set for less than 3 years, which is not the norm, then they can be added on but still can not go over 3 years.

I've been led to believe by many threads on here that if you have some financial need some as car repairs, washing machine breaking and needing a new one etc. that the IPA is put in suspension for a month or two or whatever and these months are then added on at the end so there are still 36 payments. I hadn't read anything to suggest when there is a financial need like this that the IPA is lowered or made £0 for any months instead. That's the first I have heard of this?
    "Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." Dalai Lama
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You are indeed correct Pippa.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • sniggings
    Forumite
    PippaGirl wrote: »
    I've been led to believe by many threads on here that if you have some financial need some as car repairs, washing machine breaking and needing a new one etc. that the IPA is put in suspension for a month or two or whatever and these months are then added on at the end so there are still 36 payments. I hadn't read anything to suggest when there is a financial need like this that the IPA is lowered or made £0 for any months instead. That's the first I have heard of this?

the rule is an IPA can not be longer than 3 years, not the number of payments have to be 36.

from the insolvency service

An IPA comes into force when it has been signed by both the bankrupt and official receiver or trustee URL="http://www.insolvencydirect.bis.gov.uk/freedomofinformation/technical/TechnicalManual/Ch25-36/Chapter31/part7/part1/part1notes.htm#7"]note 7[/URL (see paragraph 31.7.9). Variation of the agreement can be made after discharge (see Part 7) by written agreement between the relevant parties, or by the court on the application of the official receiver, the trustee or the bankrupt URL="http://www.insolvencydirect.bis.gov.uk/freedomofinformation/technical/TechnicalManual/Ch25-36/Chapter31/part7/part1/part1notes.htm#10"]note 10[/URL. The period of the agreement can be extended or reduced on variation, but cannot be extended beyond a period of three years, beginning with the date on which the agreement comes into force URL="http://www.insolvencydirect.bis.gov.uk/freedomofinformation/technical/TechnicalManual/Ch25-36/Chapter31/part7/part1/part1notes.htm#5"]note 5[/URL.
  • sniggings
    Forumite
    You are indeed correct Pippa.

sorry but no she isn't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income