Hallway reskim ceiling and walls 2 by 1m
Cloakroom ceiling skim only 2 by 1m
Bedroom 1 reskim ceiling and walls 5.5 by 3m
Bedroom 2 reskim ceiling and walls 4 by 4m

Was quoted £1530 for the work...I'm 15 miles west of Cardiff

Think this is a crazy price personally!

Thoughts

Comments

• Pricing does to an extent depend on previous surface finish also if rooms are empty that’s everything access etc

Also number of obstacles e.g. sockets lights down lights, window bays doors etc many plasterers have a two hit a day mentality means one wall ceiling job done if there on the lower day rate £100 – 150 per day especially if the just sub?

Standard pricing £100 - 175 man on there own per day £200 250 man and boy

even if you go

Bedroom 1 reskim ceiling and walls 5.5 by 3m , 1 day 2 days if there not that quick.
    Bedroom 2 reskim ceiling and walls 4 by 4m , 1 day 2 days if there not that quick.

Hallway reskim ceiling and walls 2 by 1m
    Cloakroom ceiling skim only 2 by 1m ,1 day to do both.

I'd expect between 800 and 1350 top
  • I have had two quotes of £750 for the work, then this one turns up at double the price, just cant see how i can be quoted £700 for the big room.

All the rooms are clear - sockets and rads will be off the wall.
  • There’s a multitude of reason there busy, have higher running cost, they don’t want to do it, they don’t like you, think you look gullible etc etc trying to figure it out why is like guessing how long is a piece of string ?why you even concerned you can see it’s high :)
  • Just ignore it if you don't want to pay it :)
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • Has now since come down to £1300, I spoke to a few of my colleagues in university who have worked in the trade before and they laughed when I told them about the quote.
  • Does that include the materials?

I have had plastering work done of late and ive ordered all of what was needed and had it delivered and then just got a price for him to do the job.

I ordered 12 of 8 x 4 - 12.5mm plasterboard and 20 of 2x1 battons and 3 bags of multi finish to have a false ceiling fitted in a 18 foot by 12 foot room and plastered. It come up to £135 at B&Q including delivery. The 2 lads fitted the battons, plasterboard and skimmed it all for £160.00 took them about 4 hours to do and the finish was brilliant.
  • My advice on this would be to use word of mouth. Post on Facebook (if you have it) to your friends and ask if they know a plasterer. One person will know. Generally you will get decent mates rates. As soon as you go to a company or a trader out of the blue you will be paying standard prices.
  • jc808
    jc808 Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    doubt a plasterer contacted through a friend on facebook would do mates rates
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure