Great What/What Not to Buy at Lidl, Aldi and Netto Hunt

Comments

• newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    stamford wrote:
    So paying a fiver to Sainsburys or suchlike guarantees the pig has an easy contented life :rotfl:
    No, but buying British reared pork does guarantee a better welfare standard. I think that's the point.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Supermarket: LIDL

What to buy:

Mini Jelly Beans, 250g bag for 47p. I think they are on a par with Jelly Belly ones. There are cola, pina colada, apple, strawberry, banana, blueberry and tangerine flavours in a bag.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • stamford
    stamford Posts: 5,175 Forumite
    newleaf wrote:
    No, but buying British reared pork does guarantee a better welfare standard. I think that's the point.

There might be a scam running with the Dutch/Danes/Poles like the Scottish /Irish beef one where I understand cows reared in Eire but end up slaughtered in Scotland to qualify as Scottish Beef
  • sexymouse
    sexymouse Posts: 6,054 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    DON'T buy Lidl's sensitive skin facewipes. I have sensitive skin, and reading that they were allergy tested and suitable for sensitive skin, I gave them a go (at 79p for 25 wipes, I thought this was great). Anyway, I used them last night, and my whole face went red and blotchy, and felt like it was burning! I immediately washed my face with non-perfumed soap, and smothered it in aloe vera gel. After 10 minutes, it still hadn't gone down, so I had to take an antihistamine. My face is back to normal now, but I will not be sacrificing price for quality in terms of my skin in the future! :(
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Angel Baby Poppy born 8/11/15, Rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
    £997.87/£2020
  • davsidipp
    davsidipp Posts: 11,514 Forumite
    sexymouse try wilkinsons wipes 89p for 25 sensitive facial wipes sometimes they do bogof.i have tried loads of wipes simple to expensive brands but wilko come out tops and dont sting your face.
    Before you point fingers,make sure your hands are clean !;)
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Is the ALDI ceramic hair straightener any good? £9.99.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Happy_shopper
    Happy_shopper Posts: 6,661 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks for the jelly bean recommendation. Sounds a lot quicker way of getting nice, cheap jelly beans than sending off for them on the Jelly Belly website (re. recent discussion on Freebies board). Not as cheap, I know (can't get much cheaper than free), but imagine how long it'd take to amass 250g of freebie beans! :D
  • Smashing
    Smashing Posts: 1,799 Forumite
    Adding some more...

Lidl
    Buy -
    Peppered ham
    3-pack trifles
    Their imitation coco-pops (whatever they're calling them)
    150g fromage frais + fruit layer style-yogurt
    Bourbon biscuits
    Fruit shorties
    24 multipack savoury crisps
    ice cream sauce (although the chocolate one is somewhat of an aquired taste)

Don't buy -
    Pork pies - poor quality, lack of actual meat
    Chilled chicken pie - like chewing insoles
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for this - inspired me to try food from our local aldi for the first time. I agree with the comments on continental cheeses, serrano ham, peppers in a jar. Can I add the westmorland ham, 99p for two small portions, one made a nice pizza, the other a pasta sauce.
    I also tried the fresh chicken to roast, which came out cheaper and tastier than Morrisons equivalent. Not as nice as the freedom foods one in Morrisons that I buy when it is on offer.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • sexymouse wrote:
    DON'T buy Lidl's sensitive skin facewipes. I have sensitive skin, and reading that they were allergy tested and suitable for sensitive skin, I gave them a go (at 79p for 25 wipes, I thought this was great). Anyway, I used them last night, and my whole face went red and blotchy, and felt like it was burning! I immediately washed my face with non-perfumed soap, and smothered it in aloe vera gel. After 10 minutes, it still hadn't gone down, so I had to take an antihistamine. My face is back to normal now, but I will not be sacrificing price for quality in terms of my skin in the future! :(

I noticed that ALDI has also changed theirs and the wipe is a different texture and they don't smell all that nice. The package is different so it should be easy to spot the difference.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure