We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Cheap Fencing for Allotment

My plot is about 9ft x 27ft and I saw rabbit droppings close by on Saturday. What do people suggest the cheapest/most reasonable way of fencing it off would be?

Alternatively I figure a snare or two and my allotment will start being very 'fruitful':eek:

Comments

• Bury your fence. Have gaps in it no larger than chicken wire.

Get a dog

Find a man with a ferret.
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    I may be wrong, but I think snares (if you mean the ones made of string and wire) are actually illegal now.
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • tripod2000
    tripod2000 Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    davemorton wrote: »
    I may be wrong, but I think snares (if you mean the ones made of string and wire) are actually illegal now.

Erm, yeah I wouldn't actually. I'm sure someone would get offended at me killing them, complain and I'd get kicked off the allotment.

Was thinking chicken wire but fenceposts etc are expensive!!! Anyone have any cheaper ways?
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Chicken wire but dismantle pallets or raid skips for the posts? Bury the chicken wire a foot down.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • tripod2000
    tripod2000 Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Found a pallet last night and have spied another one I'll ask for. Also noted last night that the neighbour has started putting a fence up and has put posts down for our shared border. May save 27' of fencing there.
  • bordercars
    bordercars Posts: 1,353 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    shame youre not bordered on 3 sides isnt it
    Div 1 Play Off Winners 2007
    CCC Play Off Winners 2010
  • gmgmgm
    gmgmgm Posts: 511 Forumite
    davemorton wrote: »

They're not illegal, but there are rules you have to follow. Something like checking every 24 hours- if you need to use them then obviously look the rules up.

I think you'd find a fence easier :-)
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    tripod2000 wrote: »
    Found a pallet last night and have spied another one I'll ask for. Also noted last night that the neighbour has started putting a fence up and has put posts down for our shared border. May save 27' of fencing there.

You can always ask for some more pallets on freecycle - they are always being given away down here.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport