PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Broken cooker ggrrrr

i am worried that I may have just food poisoned my family :mad: the cooker seems to have broken and won't heat up beyond 125 degrees. I had bought some duck spring rolls and some chicken pakora mini bites from Morrisons, both are already cooked. They have been in the oven for over an hour and my husband has just convinced me to put them with the tea. I cut one open and it was very hot to touch inside. Having eaten it all though, I am now looking on t'internet and seeing that chicken and duck should both be cooked to an internal temperature of 165 :( Even though they were in the oven for an hour, they cant have reached that temperature can they if the oven wouldn't heat up beyond 125 :(

I am really worried I am going to have made my OH and daughter (and myself) ill! Do you think it will? is there anything I can do??
Just keep swimming!

Comments

• andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If I was in any doubt that I had poisoned someone inadvertantly, then I wouldn't let them go to bed for a few hours after eating.
    Generally speaking, food poisoning makes itself evident within one hour, maybe with a high temperature, vomiting and maybe the "trots".
    If you are really worried then go to your local casualty department.
    I never trust the dials on ovens and have used an oven thermometer for the last twenty years.
  • booter
    booter Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 25 October 2014 at 10:39PM
    Don't worry! They were already cooked, so you weren't "cooking" them, just reheating :) If they'd been even slightly "iffy" you'd have noticed whilst eating, either from the smell or from the taste. I'll put it another way - how many times have you eaten from a finger buffet at a party? Chances are there were more bacteria in the food there :eek:

You'll be fine :)

As far as the oven goes, you may need a new thermostat :(
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You will be fine

Seriously that's over 70oC

In work we re heat to 75 but that's cos we are selling to the general public

At home it's more like cut it open and if the centre burns the lip it's well hot enough

Esp if you are eating straight away

Just think of all those buffet restaurants that are open. Their food is rarely as hot as 70, and can be sat there quite a while. If it was so dangerous and people were getting poisoned regularly they wouldn't be in business
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    booter wrote: »
    Don't worry! They were already cooked, so you weren't "cooking" them, just reheating :)If they'd been even slightly "iffy" you'd have noticed whilst eating, either from the smell or from the taste.

Please ignore this advice, because at the very least it is unwise:(
    There is a warning on most food that is to be reheated for very good reason. You must follow the warnings, and reheat the food thoroughly, because failure to do so could result in very dire consequences.
    Have you heard of Botulism?
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    andygb wrote: »
    Please ignore this advice, because at the very least it is unwise:(
    There is a warning on most food that is to be reheated for very good reason. You must follow the warnings, and reheat the food thoroughly, because failure to do so could result in very dire consequences.
    Have you heard of Botulism?

You would be very hard pressed to get botulism from re heated chicken and duck

It's primary source are soil and water

In this case any chance of botulism would have been killed with the first cook
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure