Handbrake, cost to tighten?

crockpot
crockpot Posts: 631 Forumite
Hi

Parked my car on a hill and when I came back it had moved! into a small wall no damage. The handbrake was on!

had noticed before it roll back at lights etc when I thought I had put it on.

56 plate Kia picanto, how much for local garage to tighten, female not wanting to be ripped off.

Thanks

Comments

• No more than an hour's labour.
  • NickWarren_2
    NickWarren_2 Posts: 213 Forumite
    I'd say about 20 - 30 quid at most.
    War does not decide who is right, It decides who is left.
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 14 May 2009 at 3:22PM
    Yeah I think I paid about £30 when I had it done. Now I do as much DIY as possible and know how easy it is on my particular car to take the drums off, clean them up, loosen the handbrake cable, adjust the shoes properly (the self-adjust mechanism never works), then put it all back together adjusting the bearings properly, and adjust the handbrake - I wouldn't pay again.

It always seems to get knackered when the MOT tester gets their hands on it anyway. When parking the car don't use the handbrake excessively, only use it as is enough to secure the car (2 to 3 clicks when properly adjusted), and keep it in first gear when parked. If you pull hard all the way up you just stretch the cable.

Unexpected things to be prepared for are the need for new shoes (they last much longer than front pads) and new wheel cylinders if there is any evidence of leaking or being seized. But neither of these will be particularly expensive.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    On my Peugeot 107, you can tighten the cable, which is under the car, so drive it on the ramps, and tighten it up, probably 15mins maximum.
    However, it didn't work when I did it, it just goes slack again.
    So remove the back drums, (eventually) clean up all the adjusters, check the shoes over, put it all back, new hub nuts and covers, as the old ones shouldn't be re-used on this car, re-adjust the handbrake, probably now one to two hours, plus the parts. I don't know the Kia, but it could be either scenario.
  • How things have changed, it seems a lifeteime ago when a boyfriend/brother/dad would roll his sleeves up and do minor jobs like this for a loved one.

Luckily in our house (and most of family/cronies') we're still in a timewarp and chaps don't mind getting their hands dirty....it's called being a man..;)

Anyway sexism aside...ir may be a simple adjust up which could be quarter of an hour, or it may need the brake shoes (can't imagine there being rear discs on a Picanto, but i'm not absolutely sure) cleaning up or replacing, which could mean possible new parts and an hour or so's labour.
    Somebody should really pull the rear drums off for a look see, Picanto handbrakes are normally pretty good.

Get on the blower to a proper bloke (as above) who knows how to fix things..;)
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite

Get on the blower to a proper bloke (as above) who knows how to fix things..;)

give out your number then g&s. :p
    ...work permit granted!
  • Apples2
    Apples2 Posts: 6,442 Forumite
    I have no idea about Ka's but the Mk3 Mondeo's had handbrake problems the same as that described by the OP.

The Mondeo hadbrake applied pressure directly to the rear disks the same as the normal footbrake.

When the handbrake was applied it held the car okay on a hill. Once the brake disk cools down it contracts, so the braking force holding the car is reduced, this led to the car rolling away.

I believe they fixed it but the temporary solution was to push the footbrake down whilst pulling the handbrake on (because your foot can apply much more pressure to the brake disk).

It made a lot of sence and something I continued to do whilst parking on a hill (until I get shot of the money pit)
  • give out your number then g&s. :p

Me?...it you that's got the golden bits, show em off lad..:eek:
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    Me?...it you that's got the golden bits, show em off lad..:eek:

what my "proper bloke bits"?
    ...work permit granted!
  • asbokid
    asbokid Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    Find a Haynes manual for your motor and DIY! Have a scour of ebay and amazon marketplace where the books often go for less than a fiver.

You can tell an authentic one - it will have oil and grease marks over the very pages you want to read!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure