lets get back to basics... starting with the butcher

Comments

• GlynD
    GlynD Posts: 10,883 Forumite
    joyjoy5 wrote: »
    Can I trust the beef mince in the butchers to be lean/extra lean or should I ask him to mince steaks for me specially?

Ask for steak mince rather than minced beef. :)
  • joyjoy5 wrote: »
    Can I trust the beef mince in the butchers to be lean/extra lean or should I ask him to mince steaks for me specially?
    Depends how good your butcher is, if you ask & they say it is lean/extra lean then it should be but the only way to find out is to buy some.
    Steak mince would cost a bit extra but you will see exactly what goes into it.
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 February 2013 at 7:27PM
    I find with mince, even though I do like a lean mince, a bit of 'flecking' of fat through the mince is great if you are dry frying the mince, It also keeps it a bit moist...
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Just notice our thread is in the weekly email:eek::beer::beer::beer:

THANK YOU!!!!!

I was wondering if anyone with some good pointers could start a 'back to basics' thread on using a traditional fishmonger next...as I must admit this does scare me:cool: as we dont eat much fish
  • UnluckyT
    UnluckyT Posts: 486 Forumite
    a butcher near my mum does some good bits, and are usually pretty good about answering questions.
    do some good bits too. allsorts of trays of bits at £5 a tray or 3 for £5. you can get sausages,chicken, koftas etc.
    i try to get some bits when i can, it worth the money as most of it really nice, the sausages seem to have quite a high meat content, about 90% i think and theyre delish. well worht the money anytime
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Excellent thread, thanks cooltrikerchick!

Just wanted to offer one tip on bacon from the butcher based on my own experience.

Supermarket bacon is hugely pumped with water and is sold in quite thin rashers in set number packs, 8 rashers, 16 rashers, etc. It is highly likely that the butcher's bacon will be sliced more thickly (so less rashers per person are needed when served) and can give a bit of a shock if you ask for 8 rashers and find the cost is very high.

Many butchers (mine included) will cut thinner slices when asked for them. This is one way to deal with it. Alternatively, do as already advised and say how much you want to spend on bacon or on the total order of xyz.

There was a question earlier about chicken supreme. It's my understanding that the supreme is boned and skinned chicken breast. It's also the most expensive part of a chicken. If you want chicken portions (consisting of breast and wing all still on the bone with skin on) then ask for chicken wings. These are my favourite if I'm buying portions.

I second that you'll see a huge difference between shrinkage with butcher versus supermarket chicken which is also pumped with water, amongst other things.

Thanks again for a very useful thread.

All the best,
    Spiggle
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • I bought four pork strips at the butchers today. It's the first time I have been in a butchers for ages, I usually get my meat from Sainsburys. I cooked the pork strips in my normal way and they were horrible! Tough, hard going and tasteless. Back to Mr S methinks!
  • I bought four pork strips at the butchers today. It's the first time I have been in a butchers for ages, I usually get my meat from Sainsburys. I cooked the pork strips in my normal way and they were horrible! Tough, hard going and tasteless. Back to Mr S methinks!

which way did you cook them?
  • I've just joined this thread via the weekly email and found it to be very useful. I haven't been into a butchers since I was a small child and find the prospect daunting so was grateful for a step by step approach :)

I must say however that although I mostly experience camaraderie on this website I do find it disappointing when other users post flippant or in some way derogatory remarks.
  • which way did you cook them?

I cooked them slowly, then turned them up at the end to crisp them up (in the oven). I always cook them this way and they have always, always been delish, apart from today.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure