Real-life MMD: Term-time truancy for a cheap hol

Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 4 December 2012 at 3:06PM in MoneySaving polls
Money Moral Dilemma: Term-time truancy for a cheap hol

My parents want to take our six-year-old son on holiday during term-time, because it's loads cheaper than during the school holidays. It's a bit of a 'now or never' opportunity for him to go away with his grandparents, but the school will fine me if I take him out of school for a holiday. Should I make up an excuse so he can go?

Click reply to have your say

Note: While this MMD wasn't sent in by one of our users, please remember that these are real-life Money Moral Dilemmas and while we want you to have your say, please remember to be nice when you respond.

Previous MMDs:

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• JayWalker
    JayWalker Posts: 110
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    There are some things more important than saving money.

Don't risk his education for the sake of a cheaper holiday. Arrange to split the costs of a cheaper holiday for ALL of you in during the school hols.
  • poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    Yes, I would let him go, he is six, he will catch up, and time spent with GP's can't be guaranteed for ever.
  • lolly_896
    lolly_896 Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    JayWalker wrote: »
    There are some things more important than saving money.

Don't risk his education for the sake of a cheaper holiday. Arrange to split the costs of a cheaper holiday for ALL of you in during the school hols.

There are also somethings that are of equal importance, spending time with family. IMO

I wouldn't make excuses, i would take him regardless
    DFW Nerd #awaiting number - Proud to be dealing with my debts!

Dont cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Sealed Pot Challenge #781
  • mandragora_2
    mandragora_2 Posts: 2,611
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    How is this even a new or interesting question? This issue has been debated to death on here many, many times before. By the end of page three schools will be the only purveyors of anything worthwhile and educational, or fascist authoritarians who have no idea of the realities of family life because all teachers live in an ivory tower, and the parents/grandparents will be encouraged to go on the holiday and think of the penalty notice as an extra little sum to pay, or encouraged to lie, or berated for not putting their child's education first, and no good will ever come of it. By page 6 the issue will represent will be the symbol of all that's wrong in our society. By page nine we might get to 'a boy died once' if we're unlucky. Somewhere along the line we'll have 'Why don't you go camping? It's great fun and never did me any harm' vs 'Why shouldn't we have a family holiday, it's the only way we'll ever get one and our circumstances are very special/tragic/unique'

I'm disappointed this is the most interesting MMD you can come up with - give me 5 minutes and I'll see if I can knock up something fresher. Oh, I know: 'I think my neighbour's a dole cheat, should I tell the authorities or keep schtum because if they have their benefits cut, the children will be even worse off, and I'd never live with myself/they might find out it was me who told'
    Reason for edit? Can spell, can't type!
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    mandragora wrote: »
    How is this even a new or interesting question? This issue has been debated to death on here many, many times before.

I would agree. There have been numerous threads debating this very issue, and the posts do tend to deteriorate as the thread progresses. I'm surprised at MSE posting this, have they run out of ideas?

For the record, I say take him. But then I am in the "I was taken out of school every year for a family holiday, it gave me a broader education and greater understanding of foreign countries/languages, and it never did me any harm" camp :cool:
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • First of all, parents are entitled to take their children out of school for two weeks with the school's permission. At the age of six, your child will not suffer by losing two weeks in school. There is absolutely no way his 'education' will suffer because schools in the UK do not educate children they school them. And the school has no authority to fine you for anything.
    'Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.' George Carlin
  • I would say go, a week is not going to make much difference. The school should allow 2 weeks per year for holidays/funerals etc., and will usually allow it as long as you don't choose a SATs/exam week. I wouldn't make a habit of it though. A week away from school won't do the child much harm educationally and is no worse than the several days each term that the school will get them to watch DVDs (worse just before Christmas), or the extra-long playtimes during good weather etc,etc. Or is it just my Children's school?
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    A six year old will learn far more going on holiday than he/she would learn in an equivalent time in school.
    Take him and enjoy.
  • Do I think you should let your son go? Absolutely. Should you make up an excuse? Absolutely not. You will be asking to him lie. He will want to talk about the holiday and if you make up an excuse there is every chance that the school teacher might ask him about it (in a nice way, 'oh you were poorly? Are you feeling better?' that sort of thing). Do you want to teach your child from a young age that its ok to lie if it gets you out of trouble?
  • Take him .. education - pah! They never worry when they have their "teacher training days"

If you feel guilty, let him go and pay the fine - will still be cheaper than waiting until the extortionate prices charged in school holidays!
    Be who you are, say what you feel
    Cos those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind

:dance: :dance: :dance:

You are what you are ~ live with it!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business