PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Just found this thread and joined - need some nagging and pushing to get the xmas knits all finished. I cannot multi task any more, my brain has died on me and I keep making really stupid beginner mistakes. Last night I managed to do the heel of a sock inside out!! because I was watching iPlayer at the same time as knitting :D
    So things are getting behind schedule and I'm under pressure here.. Have done 4 prs socks and 4 HitchHiker shawls but still got a few things to do. Bedsocks for a DIL in lovely soft merino and angora next, after I fix this heel.
  • Welcome Mardatha, our little thread is quite quiet just now, I'm hoping everyone is just too busy knitting to post :rotfl:

Today is my birthday and myself, twin brother, 2 little sisters ( not so little - both in their 50s) and our mum all went for a day trip on the Jacobite steam train from Fort William - the one that goes over the viaduct in the Harry Potter films. It was brilliant, the scenery was unbelievable especially on the return journey when the sun was shining.

Back home now and trying to finish the red mohair scarf although I think I'll be going to bed soon as I was up at 6am. On top of that I had several birthday drinks during the day :beer:

Happy knitting xx
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order :) )
  • mardatha
    That sounds lovely plumduff, I can mind once I was in the tearoom in Crianlarich as it went through and wow it looked amazing.Wonder if they offer knitting breaks on it! lol
  • I was thinking I should have taken my knitting and finished the scarf but might have missed some of the beautiful scenery. PRIORITIES !!!

There were many Chinese and American tourists on board the train and it makes you realise we have so many beautiful attractions here and just taken them for granted. This was a late birthday present for mum who was 85 in August and had always wanted to go over Glenfinnan a Viaduct.

We had a brilliant time even if my knitting was at home :rotfl:
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order :) )
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Don't know if anyone is interested but there is a pattern for a Gruffalo sweater in this weeks Wo Mans Weekly magazine. Lots of little people like the Gruffalo so I thought it might come in handy.
    :hello: :wave: please play nicely children !
  • Hi ladies, I've been asked to knit some socks for the local homeless charity. I can vaguely remember my nana knitting socks when I was younger but I have never made them myself. I've thought about trying before but usually end up making them hats and buying socks, but one of the ladies that organise the outreach says woolly socks are more beneficial for warmth at night. Can I just ask how easy these are to knit? Is it better to use a circular needle or a set of double ended needles? I have no problem with buying either as I will just get them from the charity shop. Also, if anyone can point me in the direction of a free pattern, either Pinterest or google, I did a search and most say they're easy, but I would like a recomendation from anyone that's actually tried them and can say they really are easy :rotfl:
    Many thanks
  • Hi Dusty, others will be along later I'm sure, but when knitting for the homeless I usually knit tube socks as they are suitable for lots of different sized feet. Lots of patterns for these on ravelry.
    I prefer 4 pins rather than circulars, but tubes can also be knit on 2 and seamed.
    hth WCS
  • spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Happy Birthday for yesterday!

I'm currently making some baby things for my nephew's wife - niece in law?

I'm working with Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino. Cash being the operative word! It's not cheap but lovely to work with.

Does anyone else knit with it? I've found loads of shades out of stock in places like loveknitting and woolwarehouse. There's a new John Lewis opened in town yesterday so might nip in tomorrow to see if they have any. Shame though as I like the voile bags the wool comes in from aforementioned suppliers!
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • mardatha
    Dustyblinds Here is a good absolute beginner sock page with full instructions and pics:
    http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm
    Also if you're on Facebook then look for Winwick Mum Sockalong group.
    I don't like knitting socks but it's the only thing I knit nowadays since my family inc GK are hooked on handknitted socks. I use DPNS but as WCS says there are also patterns out there for 2 needle socks. I personally hate circular needles but everybody is different. I've not tried tube socks WCS are they a decent fit?
    spirit I love really good wool, the difference in feel and look is well worth it!
  • Thank you WCS and Mardatha for the quick replies. I'll definitely look into the tube socks. I'm going to take a walk down to the charity shop now to see what needles they have in stock at the moment.
    Thanks again
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure