Cost of name changing on property title deeds

Hya. Please does anyone know the rough costs for changing the name on property title deeds from joint to single name?
Thanks x

Comments

• vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Think it’s free if no money changes hands and there is no mortgage involved, just get the form from the LR and fill it in
  • bazz
    bazz Posts: 116 Forumite
    Thanks x:T
  • Lemanie_2
    Lemanie_2 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Hey bazz,

It's not that simple, I'm afraid - especially if there is a mortgage over the house as your mortgage company will require the registered owners of the property to be tied into the mortgage.

Its called a Transfer of Equity and needs to be done via solicitors...My old firm used to do them for about £250 pluz VAT, but that was a while ago.

Lemanie
  • bazz
    Hya. I intend paying off our joint mortgage in full and changing the joint deeds to my name as agreed with my ex. Thanks x
  • pukkamum
    pukkamum Posts: 3,942 Forumite
    Yes my sister did it and it cost her £250.
    I don't get nearly enough credit for not being a violent psychopath.
  • bazz
    Can it be done through online solicitors? I did that to save money on our divorce.
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    Lemanie wrote: »
    Hey bazz,

It's not that simple, I'm afraid - especially if there is a mortgage over the house as your mortgage company will require the registered owners of the property to be tied into the mortgage.

Its called a Transfer of Equity and needs to be done via solicitors...My old firm used to do them for about £250 pluz VAT, but that was a while ago.

Lemanie

I’m sure a solicitor or similar will cheerfully relieve you of £250 to do the job but I did it a few years ago using (I think) form TR1, a few questions I had were answered over the phone by the LR. I filled the form in and sent if off with a tiny fee. Job done.

But, as I said previously, this doesn’t apply if money is changing hands or a mortgage is involved.

Think this was the form

http://www1.landregistry.gov.uk/assets/library/documents/TR1.pdf

OP, ring the land registry and ask is probably best
  • bazz
    Thanks. I`ll have a look at the land registry site. x
  • Does anyone pse know how we change the % we own on our house. we have separated on our small home which is mortgage free.as we are joint owners we are 50/50 owners but we want it to be myself 1/3 and my wife 2/3 so when it is sold at a later date i get 1/3 of sale price and not 50/50. anyone know of easy way to change this?? many thanks guys
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    How about changing your own name? I got married and need to change, I could add hubby but he doesn;t mind if not, there is no mortgage on it.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure