Are LG TVs a good make?!

Comments

• aliEnRIK
    aliEnRIK Posts: 17,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    my experience says yes full hd should be the one to aim for if you can afford it.

Erm

Im my experience, its virtually impossible to tell between 720P and 1080P on a 32" screen! 37" and above it comes into play, but then my 42" Pioneer trounces everything else ive seen and its only 780 (ish) pixels. Its down to quality, not number of pixels.
    :idea:
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    my view is based on our tv only being 720p and seeing xbox 360 and upscaled dvds on it. a relative used to have a 720p tv and i saw sky hd on that. they now have a full hd tv. so on our 720p tv the picture doesnt impress. on our relatives 720p tv we couldnt see any improvement between regular sky and sky hd. now they have a full hd tv the picture is amazing.
  • aliEnRIK
    aliEnRIK Posts: 17,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    my view is based on our tv only being 720p and seeing xbox 360 and upscaled dvds on it. a relative used to have a 720p tv and i saw sky hd on that. they now have a full hd tv. so on our 720p tv the picture doesnt impress. on our relatives 720p tv we couldnt see any improvement between regular sky and sky hd. now they have a full hd tv the picture is amazing.

Thats fair enough, but again its down to the quality of the tv. Invariably some WILL look better in 1080 than 720 and vice versa. Sky actually does both, 720 and 1080 depending on the broadcast so depending on the tv one programme might look slightly worse than another.
    :idea:
  • Oakey22
    Oakey22 Posts: 203 Forumite

Well it must be the quality of the TV as Sky HD is only broadcast at 720p not 1080p which is full HD, so nothing to do with the TV not having Full HD. Its just a marketing gimic really, there is not a lot of difference at 42" not till you start getting a lot bigger TV's.

We have a Panasonic 42" Plasma, and this is not full HD and the quality is amazing, before you say well it is envy of having a Full HD TV, it is not i got rid of a 40" samsung Full HD LCD and the quality was shocking, on freeview you could see how bad it really is, the faces on people seemed to be moving all the time even when they were still. We have SKY HD and you can tell the difference by a long way between HD and normal sky. I could not believe the difference between plasma and lcd when you get a tv that size, goto a show room and ask them to put the same channel on, being as tv's are used for watching bbc1, itv the most ask them to put them on and compare, i bet the plasma looks 10x better. The only exception would be a 32" screen where you cant get a plasma for anyway, lol.
  • donnajunkie
    well i suppose my relatives current tv is a better brand than before. the brand of our current 720p tv is lg and our relatives old 720p tv was sharp. they now have a 1080p sony. sky may broadcast some things in 720p and some in 1080p but surely the premier league football is always in full hd.
  • donnajunkie
    oakey,
    how come when we got sky+ in last year and talked to the engineer about it he said sky hd isnt worth having unless you have a full hd tv because in 720p the difference is hardly noticable.
  • donnajunkie
    oakey,
    i was looking at a 40 inch samsung lcd at the weekend and a blu ray was playing on it. the picture was stunning.
  • Oakey22
    donna, trust me you can tell the difference, if you dont believe me come round and take a look at the HD channels and the normal one's. The HD are so crisp and vibrant while the normal sky channels you can see the quality is just not razor sharp.
  • Oakey22
    oakey,
    i was looking at a 40 inch samsung lcd at the weekend and a blu ray was playing on it. the picture was stunning.

Yes HD content on the samsung is great, but did you actually see it on tv like freeview?
  • donnajunkie
    Oakey22 wrote: »
    Yes HD content on the samsung is great, but did you actually see it on tv like freeview?

so you mean a samsung may not be so good if the picture is not in hd. most of the tvs just had analogue tv channels on them which seemed silly to me if they want to blow people away.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure