IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Ticket from CMS UK Ltd

Marina_Baker
Marina_Baker Posts: 7 Forumite
edited 19 March 2010 at 12:24PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
I received a parking ticket for £80 whilst parking at Robin Park Retail Park last Friday for 55 minutes. Ticket says "For parking outside trading times". It was my first visit to Robin Park and the shops were closing on my arrival but I was unaware of these parking regulations and took my son for a Burger King meal. There is a sign saying no parking outside retail hours but I never saw it. I have appealed but CMS say I still need to pay the fine. If I pay within 14 days I only need to pay £50! A solicitor friend says to ignore the fine and any forthcoming correspondence from CMS. However, Trading Standards have told me to pay it. Can anyone advise. What is the worst possible scenario if I don't pay this fine please?

Comments

• trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Your solicitor friend is correct (apart from calling it a "fine), just ignore. As for Trading Standards , on this matter they haven't got a clue. From now on do not contact the company again and ignore any correspondence from them. The worst thing that will happen to you will be that your recycling bin will fill up faster than usual from all the stupid letters you might receive from the parking company.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • fb1969
    fb1969 Posts: 560
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 19 March 2010 at 12:35PM
    This thread should answer your questions http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1690419

Your solicitor friend knows what they are talking about, and is correct. Sadly Trading Standards, with the exception of Lancashire www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/lancashire/con1item.cgi?file=ADV0004.txt, don't know what they are talking about.
  • trisontana
    Forumite
    I have just looked at this company's web site . They certainly like the word "solutions", the whole website is peppered with that overused word.

On the "appeals" page they have this:-

Lodging an appeal is not a delay of payment. If the initial fine is not paid within 14 days the fee will rise.

Of course it's not a fine, and they are breaking the law by calling it so.
  • RobertoMoir
    RobertoMoir Posts: 3,458
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    When it comes to parking issues like this, trading standards don't know their backside from their elbow. You may as well take advice from a drunken tramp as them.

Your solicitor friend is quite correct.
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything
  • DaveF327
    DaveF327 Posts: 1,160
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hang on.. if you took your son for a Burger King meal, then wouldn't Burger King be open and trading? If so, then you have indeed parked during Burker King's "trading times" so shouldn't be in any breach of contract. I'd check the signage again to clarify exactly whose trading times they refer to, but like others have said, don't pay. The clarification above just gives you that extra ammunition in the unlikely event they take it further.
  • Coblcris
    Coblcris Posts: 1,862 Forumite
    As the outlet was open and the poster bought goods there it was de facto within trading hours.
  • trisontana
    Forumite
    edited 19 March 2010 at 5:29PM
    Earlier today I emailed CMS asking them to tell me which particular statute law is being broken (hence their use of the word "fine") when somebody parks on private land.

Although I received this by return :- "We have received your email and will deal with it promptly", as yet they haven't replied. I wonder why?
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I've ask a couple of ppc's this question and have yet to receive a reply. Maybe they are still looking for it?
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • trisontana wrote: »
    Earlier today I emailed CMS asking them to tell me which particular statute law is being broken (hence their use of the word "fine") when somebody parks on private land.

Although I received this by return :- "We have received your email and will deal with it promptly", as yet they haven't replied. I wonder why?
    I would give them 48 hours to reply and if they fail to do so, give them a fine of £200 with an early settlement discount. Threaten them with bailiffs and CCJs for non payment.
    Still waiting for Parking Eye to send the court summons! Make my day!
  • robredz
    robredz Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    Report them to trading standards and the police for impersonating a statutory authority. No seriously they are committing criminal offences by trying to pass off a dubiously contractual relationship as a fine, as no private company or individual can "fine" another, merely send an invoice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure