HSBC - Nasty thing they just sent me. (secure key)

Comments

• JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,829
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    5 minutes to log in, are you joking?

Here, I'll do it now and time it. Get ready!

16.01 seconds.

What precisely are you doing for the other 4m44s?
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • Bloomberg
    Bloomberg Posts: 665 Forumite
    henlans wrote: »
    This new secure key!!!

Check it out

Now takes 5 minutes to login to it.. longer if you lose the bloody thing.

anyone else hate it?

I think that secure key is great, the chances of your account security being compromised are now much lower - lottery odds. A few years ago HSBC on line banking security was weak. All you needed was your IB number date of birth and three random digits from your pass number.

People who moan about the secure key need to realise just how stressful and inconvenient having your account hacked really is.
    Money is a wise mans religion
  • ploddo
    ploddo Posts: 42
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have set up the secure key on my account and now I want point out that it is very frustrating to use. When it finally turns on, if I then pick it up to enter the numbers required, it turns itself off, just like a cheap solar calculator that you win in a christmas cracker. Today it took me 8 minutes to turn it on and log in just to see if there was a reply to my previous complaint about it not working properly. It is certainly not giving me greater peace of mind, more likely it will give me a heart attack it is so annoying. It is not just my key either, we have three and they are all the same. It is also impossible to differentiate between the 'keys' and find out which one belongs to which account. HSBC inform me that they will not take the 'key' off my account and if I don't want to use it I won't be able to have Internet banking. So how do I pay bills without cheques now? Some years ago we had an HSBC business account which came with a key which was smaller but much more robust and didn't cause any problems - why didn't they issue these? I can see that I will have to change my account to another bank, Nationwide maybe, and end my 38 year association with HSBC.:mad:
  • Very unnecessary step by HSBC this and the cynic in me suggests this will have been the result of some exercise within a department of the bank to justify their existance. There was absolutely nothing insecure about the old system plus it was a lot more portable and reliable. It could even be argued this system is less secure as potentially it could be made to display the magic number to gain access to your account. After all the only other bit of information you have to provide prior to the six digit number is the answer to a question about you which could be guessed or may be known by a 3rd party whereas the 2nd and last digit of your security number as per the old system are unlikely to be known or guessed by anyone other than you and can be carried around in your head rather than with a set of keys !

Very disappointing and yet another feature of Britain being taken over by control freakery I'm afraid.
  • It works fine, it takes less than a minute to log in ... stop moaning about something so insignificant.
    It's not personal, It's strictly business.
  • Gromitt
    Gromitt Posts: 5,063 Forumite
    gresley09 wrote: »
    Very unnecessary step by HSBC <snip!>

If you have unauthorised software running on your PC (could be installed without your knowledge by just visiting a rogue website or opening an email), then this could record you logging into your bank and after you have done it a few times, it could send this information to someone else who could then impersonate you. Or they could monitor your network access (perhaps you use Wifi or FTTC-type connection).

With the secure key you are basically using a one-time password, so the above attacks are rendered ineffective as they need the physical device which only you yourself own.

So, much more secure!
  • I bet you would be having a different whinge on here if someone was able to easily hack into your bank account and empty it!

You'd quickly blame the bank and accuse them of poor security.

If you don't like it, move banks.
    Happy with my advice? The please use the 'thanks' button vvvvvvvvvvvvv
  • henlans wrote: »
    This new secure key!!!

Check it out

Now takes 5 minutes to login to it.. longer if you lose the bloody thing.

anyone else hate it?

Nope, I find it takes about 30 seconds to log in, and I have it tucked in my purse so it's always with me. OH has his attached to his keys.

Really can't see what people are complaining about, it's far better than Nationwide's card reader.
    Before you ask, yes, I work for a bank, but no, I didn't get a bonus!
  • ploddo wrote: »
    Today it took me 8 minutes to turn it on and log in just to see if there was a reply to my previous complaint about it not working properly.

8 minutes? Wow. It takes me about 30 seconds. What on earth are you trying to do with it?!
    ploddo wrote: »
    So how do I pay bills without cheques now?

You can still use cheques! They haven't been scrapped. Also you can use telephone banking, cash at a branch or most bills you can ring up and pay by credit card/debit card.

If you don't like it, switch banks!
    Before you ask, yes, I work for a bank, but no, I didn't get a bonus!
  • James
    James Posts: 2,059
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Covered on Money Box Live (Saturday 12 Nov) available on BBC iPlayer

Click here.

HSBC Secure Key article starts at 10mins 36secs into the broadcast.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure