Putting home into family trust to avoid nursing home fees

Options

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    andyrules wrote: »
    A fair point, especially as the younger generation will receive no help with deposits from inheritance if the parental home is sold, and also as more and more people are removing their assets from harm's way long before the time they may need care.

Gosh - someone was lucky.

I don't know anyone who has had an inheritance to fund house purchase.

We helped our kids get on their feet, with part of a deposit and with older cars. However, if either of us needs care, then I do not expect others to pay for it through taxes, so that the kids have a financial windfall.

They are professionals. They can work for it, as we did. If there is something, left, all well and good.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • andyrules
    andyrules Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »

Gosh - someone was lucky.

I don't know anyone who has had an inheritance to fund house purchase.

We helped our kids get on their feet, with part of a deposit and with older cars. However, if either of us needs care, then I do not expect others to pay for it through taxes, so that the kids have a financial windfall.

They are professionals. They can work for it, as we did. If there is something, left, all well and good.

I'm talking generally, I think Mrs Money raises a valid point. Many younger people are renting long term and from what I hear around me money savvy people are protecting their assets one way or another. Eventually, those with property to be placed under a charge will dwindle. There needs to be a better and fairer system put in place sooner rather than later.

And without thinking too hard, I know of at least one person who bought his house from his inheritance.
  • lissadenton
    Options
    let this be a warning to anyone setting up a trust for their home.

a friend and his wife did this. When she died her relative inherited her half.
    Now the friend wants to sell up and move with his new girlfriend.

He wants to live off the proceeds of his house-but he now has to give the relative his half.

We are not talking about an expensive house -so the money is going to have to eked out.

He is furious.

Be very careful what you do.
  • Veryannoyed_3
    Options
    Thanks very much Lisa, this is exactly the pitfall I am pleased to hear about. I am getting a good solicitor with experience of trusts to advise me.
  • lissadenton
    Options
    His problem now is-the trust was too good-he cannot rescind it-even though he would love too. He has fallen on hard times, lost job and hoped to live off his asset-now he's only got a small amount of money to live on as he may never work again.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The trust Lisa mentions was badly drawn up. It'susual to leave the surviving spouse with access to the estate for all needs.

I'm not talking about world cruises, but what everyone would consider reasonable.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • lissadenton
    Options
    it was too well drawn up. He wanted to protect his relatives inheritance-and never made a get out clause.
    He also never expected his wife to die so young.
  • savvyme_4
    Options
    I'm afraid I'm not prepared to lose my only asset, my home, to pay nursing home fees so I'm considering putting it into a family trust with my children as the beneficiaries.

Does anyone have experience of this and the pitfalls?

We're already likely to lose my mother's home for this reason (her fees are £46,000 a year) and if there is a legal way of making sure our children inherit all we have worked so hard for over the years then we will take it.

The PCT / social services have been entirely ruthless in the way they have dealt with the family over my mother's case and although we did achieve full funding for her for a while it was quickly removed.

I'm going to be equally ruthless in preventing them from getting their hands on my hard earned cash.

I totally agree with everything you have said on here. I am experiencing the same with my elderly parents at £475 per week for care home fees... disgraceful :mad:
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    savvyme wrote: »
    I totally agree with everything you have said on here. I am experiencing the same with my elderly parents at £475 per week for care home fees... disgraceful :mad:

When you say you're experiencing it, do you mean you're personally paying your parents' care home fees?
  • mumps
    mumps Posts: 6,285 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    savvyme wrote: »

I am a manager in care, the cost seems disgraceful to you but I promise you it is not cheap to run a good home. First of all cost of suitable premises, then registration costs, equipment including industrial washing machines (don't come cheap.) Heating costs tend to be very high. Insurance is another big expense. Staff, not just wages but CRB's training sick pay holidays etc. Food, maybe catering for special diets. Carpets, furniture etc, we find these need replacing frequently. Maintenance costs, pat testing equipment etc. Water rates, telephones, vehicle costs.

I am sure alot of the above can be done "on the cheap" but we don't offer a "cheap" service. I can honestly say if I needed care I would be happy to go into one of the houses we run, I can't say that about all homes. We bought a home off a company offering "cheap" care. We felt like crying when we viewed the place, living in a second rate place that was stinking is not how I want to end my days and it is certainly not something I would have wanted for my parents.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family