The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Top Child Trust Funds Article Discussion Area

Comments

• Meeten
    Meeten Posts: 236
    First Post
    Forumite
    hi guys, i'm hoping someone could help me.

I already have a stakeholder CTF for my elder child with halifax too. But i joined them without looking into it at all and now I have recently received my new baby's CTF. I'm not too sure which company/banks to go with.

FYI, I want to invest in either shares or stakeholder in the hope that we'll make some returns when she's older.

I would also like to add that FandC seem to be very popular, but their website+application form seem very difficult and also I don't have a clue which trust to invest the voucher in.

Can someone recommend a good/popular CTF company? Maybe a company which:-

1. allows me to buy my choice of shares
    2. has online access to the shares, just like brokers (tdwaterhouse etc..), so that i can watch them without having to phone the company each time.

Thanks very much

I too would be v interested in this.
    I think that the best I have seen for a savings account is 3% with YBS.
    I would prefer to go to take a more risky strategy, and if it all goes Pete Tong in 12 months, I'll make the £250 into £500, so the little' un has a MUCH better int rate :T. Hopefully, my deft :rotfl: share picks will help in upping the total ..... ;)
    One day I want to be the pigeon...... and not the statue!
  • pumbaa
    pumbaa Posts: 64
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    wardster wrote: »
    In the last budget it was mentioned that all disabled children would receive an extra payment into their child trust fund. Despite scouring the budget report and the internet I haven't found anymore mentions of this or when it will happen.

Is anyone else aware of this and do they have any details ?

many thanks

Having just scoured this thread in the hope of an answer, sad to say it wasn't forthcoming.

I raise it again as my DW and I have just formally adopted our DS (17 months old) who has Down's Syndrome, and now have full access to his Cash only CTF. It currently only has £250 in it, but I've been verbally informed that disabled children were entitled to an additional £250 at birth. I can't find a definitive source though.

So I too am interested in finding an answer to this question, or at least who to contact for more information. Thanks in advance.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,277
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    pumbaa wrote: »
    I've been verbally informed that disabled children were entitled to an additional £250 at birth. I can't find a definitive source though.

So I too am interested in finding an answer to this question, or at least who to contact for more information. Thanks in advance.

Yes it was announced in the budget but does not seem to have happened yet. As you know more recently it was announced CTFs were to be cut back. There is a Q&A on what it means here. To quote the important bit as to what it means for you:
    Where a child is disabled
    From April 2010, children entitled to Disability Living Allowance (DLA) receive annual payments of either £100 or £200 dependent on the care component of their DLA award. Under the proposals no payments will be made into Child Trust Funds for DLA entitlement of any kind in the tax year 2011/12 onwards.

So I take that to mean you should get 1 year's payment before it is scrapped.
  • beth3735
    beth3735 Posts: 499
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Can anyone help please, I am wondering if you had a current account with Natwest plus held a CTF for your child with Natwest could you view the CTF using online banking for the current account?

Thank you x
  • pKaTz
    pKaTz Posts: 253
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi,
    I want to purchase ILSC in my 2yr old sons name and I know I can do this. But If after 5 Years I want to reinvest them (or cashing them in eventually), would there be any problem in doing this as my name will not be on the Certificate.
    I am thinking of in the long run, possibly saving to hold money in the ILSC instead of CTF for him.
    If for example I saved in a Halifax reg saver - then when that matured purchased ILSC then these would hopefully be a better savings vehicle than the current interest on CTF's.
    What do u think?
    Unless I try and transfer to the best rate I can atm.
  • tali
    tali Posts: 709 Forumite
    Can anyone guide me to performance tables to show how non stakeholder CTFs have performed.I have only found one piece of info - and that was old -there seems to be nothing new
  • JustJewels
    JustJewels Posts: 111 Forumite
    tali,

Interesting question - the latest info I found dates from around Oct 2009 to Dec 2009, so it's not totally up to date...but have a look at

http://www.myeggnest.com/info/compare.aspx#share1

regards

JJ
  • Llubrevlis
    Llubrevlis Posts: 272 Forumite
    I have just moved my kids CTF to self trade and bought a good silver ETF in this dip.

The way it works there is usually a bit left over its about 9 quid.

Would I be able to put this somewhere like cash savings account that should do well in 18 years?

Which is the best cash savings account right now for CTF? There was some about 6% if I remember right.
  • Hello, i wanted to invest my sons child trust fund into a share account that was invested in emerging markets like china.

Does anyone know where i could find one?
  • wriggly
    wriggly Posts: 362 Forumite
    edited 16 July 2010 at 9:02AM
    pumbaa wrote: »
    I raise it again as my DW and I have just formally adopted our DS (17 months old) who has Down's Syndrome, and now have full access to his Cash only CTF. It currently only has £250 in it, but I've been verbally informed that disabled children were entitled to an additional £250 at birth. I can't find a definitive source though.

If your child received Disabled Living Allowance at any time during the 2009/10 or 2010/11 tax years, then they should receive £100 for each eligible year into their CTF (or £200/year if they are on the Higher Level Care Allowance). The payments have been scrapped for following years.

The payments for 2009/10 were made in April. However, not all eligible children appeared to receive it in April. A further payment will occur in October for 2010/11 payments and remaining 2009/10 payments.

So, in summary: if your child has a CTF and receives DLA at any time between 6 April 2009 and 5 April 2011, they should get £100 - £400 extra into their CTF. Your CTF provider should send a letter to inform you when this occurs.

If you don't receive a letter by November, you should probably first check with your CTF provider.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback