The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

£600 work bonus - What do I do ?

If I work lots of extra hours (I'm salaried so no extra pay) I could reach a target which would give me a one off £600 bonus :)

This is a one off, possibly never repeated offer.

But I get WTC (based on this years lower salary of £15400 pa - last year £16500, married, 2 children ) as well as £3 per week council tax benefit and £28 per week housing benefit

OK, so take home would be up £408 up after tax and NI

WTC this year (and next year) would be down £246 (41% of gross)

I would lose the full (approx £120) housing benefit for the month

I would lose the full (approx £13) council tax benefit

I would need to reapply for Housing benefit and council tax benefit in February as it would automatically be stopped (is this correct????)

So Net pay for approx 60 hours work needed would be 408-246-120-13 = £29

Am I missing something ????

Would CTB / HB be based on an average when reapplying or just on February's wage ? ( as an average including the January bonus would wipe out more than the £29 net )

So, any ideas how this could work for me as I am not keen to put in so much effort for 50p an hour, but I do not want to let my employer down

Thank you in advance for any ideas

Comments

• FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It sounds like either you don't work the extra hours and feel good that it doesn't matter because you can get the difference claiming benefits, or you work the hours and feel good that doing so means you are supporting your family with less reliance on benefits and hopefully might mean a promotion in the near future that will mean you will then be trully better off?

I don't think there are other alternatives.
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    You need to think long term.
  • bestpud wrote: »
    You need to think long term.

e.g. pay £480 net into a personal pension.

Then the OP will still benefit from this money, after retirement.
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Your net pay for the 60hrs won't be £29 it will be £408, the difference is that you will have earned the higher amount without relying totally on benefits.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • EL-ENG wrote: »
    WTC this year (and next year) would be down £246 (41% of gross)

So Net pay for approx 60 hours work needed would be 408-246-120-13 = £29

If WTC are down this year and next year then you need to take off two lots of £246, so the net pay should be -£217! Marvellous! It won't be quite that bad if you get a pay rise or a bonus next year though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure