Tepe Brushes

Hello!

I've recently been told to use Tepe interdental brushes and I'm getting the hang of them (easier than floss for me, the tops of my teeth are so close together I can't get the floss down to actually use it) but they seem to be really expensive. I can only get one brush to last two goes and they are £3.25 for 8 at Boots. I've tried another brand but even the narrowest size wasn't slim enough and they aren't as strong (yes that is probably a 'you get what you pay for' scenario) so I can't get them in.

Does anyone know of somewhere to buy them that is a bit cheaper, or of an equivalent brand that does just as good a job?

Thanks!

Comments

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    They will begin to last you longer once you get used to them.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • *~Zephyr~*
    *~Zephyr~* Posts: 612 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Lidl do their own brand of tepe-style brushes and they do really really tiny ones. I buy them because I have a couple of teeth that are really close together and I can't get the smallest tepe brush in there.

They are very cheap and they last me 3 or four uses each.
  • I have to use tepe brushes to keep on top of oral hygiene and find that Amazon is cheapest place for me. (Actually dont cost me anything, as I use vouchers I have earnt with online sites. );)
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 July 2017 at 10:02PM
    Boots always have the packages on three for two. But their own relable, called Expert, exactly the same.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Superdrug have 2 for £5 on Tepe stuff.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You can also get cheap ones in Poundland.

Superdrug have TePe brand EasyPick which are toothpicks with silicone 'bristles' They are really flexible and last for a few uses- you get 36 in a pack. Blue M/L and orange XS/S. Bought online- they weren't in our branch. They were on offer last week/ @ half price- just under £2.

I think the expensive variety come in at least 4 sizes
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Super drug own brand ones are cheap and pretty good
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I can't afford the Tepe brushes, they are way too expensive but I do still use interdental brushes, just not the most expensive type!

Not sure if you need to try a larger Boots, but I do know there is a brand called Dentek which sells the interdental brushes in packs of about 10 or 20 or so (can't remember the number in the pack!) they are good quality and they work well for me.

If you have any for home use (eg not when out of your home for lunch of visiting people) you can wash them (scrape the brush if it's really jammed up, use tap water to rinse, leave in mouth wash for a few seconds if you're especially worried about anything bad being on the brush). I'm normally prone to picking up infections (lowered immune system) but I've never had an infection by doing that to clean a brush. It wont make a brush last forever but will easily give you a few more uses.

Morrisons also used to stock a few of the 0.45 brushes for £1 a pack (a pack of 5?) but they don't exist in every store so you may need to hunt them down- I've not bought them for ages as the Dentek packs are easier for me to find as there are no Morrisons within 2 bus rides of me, but if you are near one maybe try and if not ask a manager if they would be willing to stock them, they are made by Morrisons.
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I must be doing it wrong - my Tepe brushes last just as long as a toothbrush would last. I certainly wouldn't be changing it every couple of uses.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,939 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I must be doing it wrong - my Tepe brushes last just as long as a toothbrush would last. I certainly wouldn't be changing it every couple of uses.

:rotfl:

I used to think I was being a bit scummy by not disposing after each use.

Mine last about a week before they lose bristles.

trailingspouse are using a size that is a tight fit?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure