PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How long did you/will you spend in your first home?

Comments

• Chanes
    Chanes Posts: 882
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    6 years and lost 30k on it when we sold it in 1998.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 13 October 2016 at 3:53PM
    The first home we bought, we lived in for nearly forty years, apart from eight years 2004-2011 living in Spain. We sold it last year and never regretted it, because we love our bungalow so much :)
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,217
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Chanes wrote: »
    6 years and lost 30k on it when we sold it in 1998.

Coincidentally I think it was 1998 when we sold our first one and as it happens we made £30k. Yin and Yang.
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • lady1964
    lady1964 Posts: 955
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    First house was small 3 bed detached (3 of us), lived in it initially for just over 2 years, moved overseas so rented it out, moved back after just over 3.5 years with 2 kids. DH's new job was about 60/70 miles away & house was too small so we sold & bought a 4 bed terraced closer to his job. Sold that after 4 years (& a 3rd child being born) & moved to a 5 bed semi 10 minutes walk away. We're still in that house 19 years later & 5 Beds has become 4 with an en-suite and back to 3 of us living in it.

I'd love to downsize but where I'd move to locally (for jobs) is more expensive & we don't want to start having a mortgage again & we've got 10/15 years before we can retire & move away to a less expensive area.
  • old_hat wrote: »
    How do you quote the previous post? lol

To quote a previous post you click on the orange speech bubble in the middle of the icons, to the right of where it says "quick reply"

It seems unfair that you were given a mortgage on a property that you now can't sell. There must be something you can do, I'd say your best bet is a cash buyer.
  • Bossypants wrote: »
    In a nutshell, it's extremely noisy in a 'people-noise' way. You can hear conversations, people moving around, etc, and it never stops. It basically sounds like I'm living with 3 or 4 other people who are probably perfectly nice, but I don't know them and they are constantly around, and as a major introvert, that really sets my nerves on edge.

I've done all I can to minimise the noise, but I've come to accept that it's just a fact of the building (it was empty back when I bought my flat, so I didn't notice anything amiss back then). I've lived in enough different places (including flats) over the years to know that I'm never going to settle in this place, so I've just decided to bite the bullet and go.

I hope you find peace in your next place. I had a noisy neighbour once and also moved out partly because of them. I only had a short term rental on the place so I didn't mind.
  • ellie27
    ellie27 Posts: 1,097
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We bought our first house, aged 30, and had 2 children there. We stayed for 8 years, 3 bed semi.

Now the kids are of school age we moved to a better catchment simply for schools and we have bought what will be our forever house. A 5 bed detached bungalow, big garden.
  • old_hat
    old_hat Posts: 87
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    To quote a previous post you click on the orange speech bubble in the middle of the icons, to the right of where it says "quick reply"

It seems unfair that you were given a mortgage on a property that you now can't sell. There must be something you can do, I'd say your best bet is a cash buyer.

Thanks for this!

We feel trapped - people want the flat - have had offers over.

We have dropped the price to attract cash buyers but investors have gone quiet.

Is there any legal recourse we could go down for being sold a mortgage they are not prepared to sell to any other customer?
  • Since adulthood, I've never stayed anywhere more than 3 years maximum.

So that's about 30 years of constant moving. A few owned, most rented.

I only regret leaving 3 of those places and I still feel the loss of those places today and think of them as my only real homes.
    Ironically, all 3 were rentals.

The homes I've owned meant very little to me even though one especially was pretty fabulous. I just didn't connect with any of them.

That's interesting. What was is about those homes you liked? For me it's the other way around; I've rented twice and didn't feel anything for either but the first time I bought I felt much better about it.
  • old_hat wrote: »
    Thanks for this!

We feel trapped - people want the flat - have had offers over.

We have dropped the price to attract cash buyers but investors have gone quiet.

Is there any legal recourse we could go down for being sold a mortgage they are not prepared to sell to any other customer?

I don't know about whether you'd have any recourse but it'd be worth looking into. Things have changed a lot since you bought with the recession, new rules for mortgages etc. If you're earning that much though you could just sell for whatever you can, cut your losses and not buy above a commercial property again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure