Borrowing from a LISA

Options
I have a quick question about LISA savings accounts.

Everything I've read says there is a 25% penalty for withdrawing before the age of 60 for anything other than a first time house purchase.

I've also read there is an idea about making the LISA similar to the American 401k in that we'd be able to borrow up to 50% of the value with no penalty but perhaps with some interest, as long as it was paid back within 5 years.

Does anyone know if there are plans to make a decision about this? Or when that will be?

Thanks you clever people. :)
If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    According to https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/lifetime_isa_flexibility there was some early speculation last year that there would be 401K-style flexibility built in but this didn't make it into the scheme rules on introduction, which explicitly state (in clause 6.77a) that "Lifetime ISAs cannot be offered as flexible ISAs".

In the response to the FOI request, the Treasury refused to answer the question "Can the Treasury provide any information on its current plans and any broad timetable for when a policy decision on Lifetime ISA flexibility is due?" so unless there has been any subsequent update it would appear that nobody is letting on if there are any such plans!

If I was considering funding a LISA I think I'd assume that the rules will stay as they are rather than expecting to be able to shift money out and back again....
  • ani*fan
    ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for that.

You're right, I won't plan around being able to do this. Shame though, it would be way more appealing with some flexibility. Even a limited number of withdrawals over the accounts lifetime would work better.

Ah well.
    If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ani*fan wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

You're right, I won't plan around being able to do this. Shame though, it would be way more appealing with some flexibility. Even a limited number of withdrawals over the accounts lifetime would work better.

Ah well.

It was George Osborne's pet project. Come back Gideon! All is forgiven!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure