Is three weeks to long?

Carmen
Carmen Posts: 1,732 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Three ladies I know want to visit London in February.
They want to stay for three weeks, but I feel that would be too long just for taking in the sights.
Just a quick look at the entrance fees for some of the attractions will cost a small fortune (why the voluntary £2.50 at tower of London?) or am I out of touch?
Can anybody please help with the following?
They will be on a tight budget so staying on the outskirts (near tube station) and sharing one room should keep the price down, yes?
Reasonably priced eateries?
Cheapest way to get around if sights are not within walking distance.
Are there daily coach day trips out to other places?
They will be arriving from Stansted so I'm not sure which side of the of the city would be better to stay.
Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
Many thanks
Carmen

Comments

• Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    "London Pass" are having another sale on with a 6 day pass available for £109.65 or a 10 day for £127.20. You can also add Oyster cards.
    https://www.londonpass.com/london-pass-prices.php
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,277 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Three weeks is nothing like long enough to see all the sights of London, but might well be too long to spend sharing a cramped and depressing room. I suggest that they make flexible arrangements so that they can go home when they feel they have had enough -- or run out of money!
  • Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Carmen wrote: »
    Three ladies I know want to visit London in February.
    They want to stay for three weeks, but I feel that would be too long just for taking in the sights.
    Just a quick look at the entrance fees for some of the attractions will cost a small fortune (why the voluntary £2.50 at tower of London?) or am I out of touch?
    Can anybody please help with the following?
    They will be on a tight budget so staying on the outskirts (near tube station) and sharing one room should keep the price down, yes?
    Reasonably priced eateries?
    Cheapest way to get around if sights are not within walking distance.
    Are there daily coach day trips out to other places?
    They will be arriving from Stansted so I'm not sure which side of the of the city would be better to stay.
    Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Carmen

There are plenty of these around, with varying prices but the cheapest way to visit both Windsor and Hampton Court is by train or Greenline bus.

There's plenty of things to do both in and around London and much of it is free but they might be best to think of renting somewhere with cooking facilities to keep the costs down and to give themselves a bit more space.
  • Carmen
    Thank you kindly for your suggestions.
    Two new revalations since yesterday, the three weeks was actually three days :rotfl::rotfl: Lost in translation! More importantly they were told they could fly with just their identity cards:eek: Did I mention they are french. I await their decision on passports.
    Carmen
  • Carmen wrote: »
    Thank you kindly for your suggestions.
    Two new revalations since yesterday, the three weeks was actually three days :rotfl::rotfl: Lost in translation! More importantly they were told they could fly with just their identity cards:eek: Did I mention they are french. I await their decision on passports.
    Carmen

I might be wrong but I'm 99% certain they can fly on a French EU ID card, in fact the easyJet website confirms. Might not need those passports after all!
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Carmen wrote: »
    More importantly they were told they could fly with just their identity cards:eek: Did I mention they are french. I await their decision on passports.
    Carmen

They are quite right! Hopefully they haven't wasted money applying for passports they don't need.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control/before-you-leave-for-the-uk
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Carmen
    Thank you both, you are absolutely right, I should have confirmed this sooner.
    Any tweeked help with my original post please?
    Carmen
  • Carmen
    Can anybody please tell me the best place to see the changing of the guard and hopefully be able to take photo's along side the guards.
    The walking tour might be too much?
    Reviews say the Buckingham Palace is not good, which leaves St James Palace or Wellington Barracks?
    Many thanks
  • I think three weeks is too short
    London is awesome
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    British Museum - FREE (donations) Awesome.
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure