Naked wines - watch your bank account

Comments

• Der! you asked how they got my bank details I simply replied they didnt. Thanks for the abuse - I think Ill give up on this site if its full of dullards like you who ask questions then dont understand the answers they get and get abusive.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Der! you asked how they got my bank details I simply replied they didnt. Thanks for the abuse - I think Ill give up on this site if its full of dullards like you who ask questions then dont understand the answers they get and get abusive.

You're a Newbie, we're supposed to be kind, it's difficult when the Newbie gets clever and doesn't like what other posters are saying.

There are numerous posts on the forum about Naked Wines and other wine clubs. The aren't doing anything illegal, you just didn't look into it before you took advantage of their offer of cheap wine. It's always advisable to do a bit of research before handing over your card details to a company.
  • We will see.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes I am hard of sight. So do they have right to take my money?

Yes

padding to 10 characters
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We will see.

I assume you've now cancelled with them and asked for a refund ?
  • Beetlemama
    Beetlemama Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ...so, on to happier times - if anyone wants a £40 off minimum spend £59.99 NW code, I have one, came with an Amazon order, but I am not going to spend £19.99 on 12 bottles of wine, I have no class, lol, these days my idea of a nice bottle of wine is Lambrini lol :)

PM me if you want it. First come first served.
    "There is no substitute for time."

Competition wins:
    2013. Three bottles of oxygen! And a family ticket to intech science centre. 2011. The Lake District Cheese Co Cow and bunny pop up play tent, cheese voucher, beach ball and cuddly toy cow and bunny and a £20 ToysRus voucher!
  • I've been a 'member' of Naked Wines since 2008. I got the voucher, took advantage and remember that it was very clear about the monthly payment. I'm still a member now and can't fault the wine or service at all.

It's also very easy to log in and change the amount you pay each month - or cancel it if you want.
  • Got a voucher from the Caravan Club for £40. The voucher says:

“Valid against ANY case of wine priced at £59.99 or more”. Full terms and conditions including our voucher fair use policy... etc. web blah....

It does NOT say
    “Valid against ANY case of wine priced at £59.99* or more *SUBJECT TO full terms on website etc…

Naked wines say I can't use it to buy special offer mystery cases priced at £79.99. I thought Any meant "without exception"? Am I being a grumpy old bloke?
  • Johny_James
    Johny_James Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 9 November 2011 at 2:33AM
    Hello There,

I too purchased wine from Naked recently and I too was very annoyed when I found that £20 was going to be coming out of my account.

I think the marketing for this product is unclear.

I have received 4 paper vouchers and one evoucher from amazon and not one of them refers to a £20 monthly commitment. The paper vouchers do refer to Terms and Conditions and I have read those terms and conditions and I do not see evidence in the terms and conditions that a purchase of wine will result in £20 coming from my account. (I note that prettypennies believes to have seen this feature stated on the voucher)

The terms do talk about Naked Angels but the terms in my view do not say that I will automatically be signed up to become a naked angel when making a purchase with a voucher.

The procedure to buy wine does not in my view make it clear that there is any commitment to become a naked Angel until after the process is complete and your already signed up and I do not not recall selecting an option to become a naked angel, to spend £20 per month or to sign up to a cash back.

I think "the-e-dealer" is venting frustration because he too claims the process to buy is unclear about the £20 monthly commitment (in fact he disputes choosing a 33% option, which is at best loosely connected to the monthly charge from the context of the purchasing process). Whilst consumers should read TandCs, in this case that is not the primary point.

In my view the TandCs, purchasing process and marketing materials (vouchers and website) simply do not imply that purchasing wine will result in joining the naked angel scheme and becoming liable to a £20 monthly charge. (I note that purplepardalis has another view to me). This is a conversation about weather or not the purchasing process and the marketing material are appropriately clear in their direction to allow for an informed decision and in my view they are not.

Further I am concerned that my credit card data is held within the site with the full details. I understand that it is common practice to hold part of credit card data, however usually the 3 diget code is not stored. I think the organisation should do more here to inform customers about the level of data they are storing.

Organisations should take these ideas seriously and with less prompting. Usually the solution is simple. Like writing batteries not included or asking clearly what consumers want.

I have to say that I was a little upset when I read some of the comments belittling those who have complained about the £20 monthly fee. Whilst there are a lot customers who are very happy with naked wines (and I can see why its a good deal if you want to spend £20 a month on wine), a quick search on google does reveal that there are a lot of people frustrated and upset by the £20 monthly fee, it is not something that can be made fun of or someone crying wolf its fair comment, and I think this is something that it would be easy to solve through better communication.

I wonder if asking a consumer if they want "33% cash back" is a transparent way of saying would you like to "invest £20 monthly commitment"

Thanks

John
  • Hello There,

I just noticed another problem with their site. It is not a big one.

This phrase is written on a popup when you click on claim voucher

"We only use your email address to store your voucher. We won't spam you, ever, promise. Scout's honour!"

However all the options in "My Email Preferences" are ticked by default, so this is not true. I know we can un-tick those things but they should really remove that comment as its not true.

Thanks

Johny
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport