Problem with Royal Mail Airsure

I sold an item on eBay to someone in the USA.

Posted the item on 2nd June 2011. Every time I checked the track and trace it just said that the item had been received and they were processing it abroad. I gave it the benefit of doubt, thought I'd leave it 6 working days (the number quoted for Airsure parcels to arrive to USA destination)

I called customer service today as my customer has still not received the parcel. The guy on the other end of the phone, totally laid-back said "it's at the national returns centre" - as if I'm supposed to know what that means?! I probed him for more info and learnt that the parcel has not even left the country and that he could not tell me why this had happened. Only that I need to fill out a P58 form and send it to them and they will have the parcel back to me in 2 weeks.

Apart from the fact that this guy was not even apologetic in anyway, it totally annoys me that had I not called them, I wouldn't have even known!

:mad::mad::mad:

So I get home from and source the P58 form and find that the form states I need to give a delivery due to USA 25 days before I can submit the form - this is ridiculous, considering I know that the parcel is just sat there!

Of course I've sent a long e-mail to RM customer services but if anyone has dealt with this kind of thing and has any suggestions/tips - I'm all ears!

Thanks

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    P58 is for lost, damaged or delayed mail. For ROW you need to allow 25 working days before you submit a claim.

There may be many reasons your item is 'lost', it may not be at the national returns centre, it may really be lost. Did you attach a customs label, did you attach a return address? These will all help to repatriate the item to you.
  • poor_child
    poor_child Posts: 34 Forumite
    The man on the phone at royal mail customer services told me that the parcel is at the national returns centre - what is ROW? Can I submit P58 form to attain my parcel from the national returns centre?

The assistant at the post office did all the paper work for this parcel, he submitted a CN23 form and I did label the packaging with a returns address
  • theonlywayisup
    Forumite
    edited 13 June 2011 at 9:44PM
    The national returns centre is Belfast and is where parcels go when it isn't obvious who the sender is (no return address). At Belfast, afaik, they open the parcel in an attempt to trace the sender (custardy will be able to give better detail). If no sender is found, after a period of time the item is sold at auction. The sender, if they have their receipt, can claim for loss.

ROW is rest of world. So you cannot claim for 25 working days.

Edit, I take it we are talking over £270 in value seeing as you had a cn23 on the parcel? Did you take additional insurance?
  • poor_child
    Thanks for your response.

The P58 form that I have been given is for international parcels. Basically, I need to get my hands on my parcel ASAP as the customer is not happy (understandably) - hence, given that the parcel hasn't even left the country and is sat at the national returns centre (as confirmed by assistant on the phone who then advised to send P58) - do I send P58?
  • theonlywayisup
    Forumite
    poor_child wrote: »
    Thanks for your response.

The P58 form that I have been given is for international parcels. Basically, I need to get my hands on my parcel ASAP as the customer is not happy (understandably) - hence, given that the parcel hasn't even left the country and is sat at the national returns centre (as confirmed by assistant on the phone who then advised to send P58) - do I send P58?
    I think the Customer services rep at RM is stringing you a line.

If the parcel is lost, it is lost. If it is in the network, then it may still be delivered. Airsure is not guaranteed to track once it has left the uk but can track on the USPS website if and when it has cleared customs in the UK and then the US.

If it was below £270 in value and you stuck a cn23 on it, the US will probably refuse it (in my experience). Under £270 is CN22 and over is CN23 and they are sticklers! (have you ever tried getting int the US on holiday with the wrong hotel on your form!).

If it is refused, it should be RTS (returned to sender) and should really only go to Belfast when they don't know who the sender is (but I will stand corrected if custardy says otherwise).

I can't really offer any more help. I post about 20 parcels a day to the US and Canada and know they are IMHO the worst for imports.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Forumite
    poor_child wrote: »
    The man on the phone at royal mail customer services told me that the parcel is at the national returns centre - what is ROW? Can I submit P58 form to attain my parcel from the national returns centre?

The assistant at the post office did all the paper work for this parcel, he submitted a CN23 form and I did label the packaging with a returns address

did you put a return address on the item? Im guessing not?
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    did you put a return address on the item? Im guessing not?

Guess again. The OP actually stated this in the post you copied and pasted into your reply.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,197
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Have you checked on the USPS site to see if there is any tracking there? If the RM site says it is processing abroad this does not tally with the RM man saying it is at the return centre. It could be anywhere.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Forumite
    Guess again. The OP actually stated this in the post you copied and pasted into your reply.

ahh George,still holding that hatred for me in
    a pleasure to behold
    well to the OP,the only reason it would be at the returns centre is if theres an issue with the packaging/address
    If you PM me the tracking number I'll see if I can get an intranet track done
  • poor_child
    Thank you all for comments and help.

Called RM today (with a much cooler approach!) and spoke to a nice man called Karl, He said that the reason his system gave him for the parcel not being delivered is "not an Airsure country" - which obviously is incorrect as Airsure does cover USA. So he was very sorry and didn't understand why.

Anyhow, RM have opened up the parcel at Belfast, noticed my receipt enclosed from Reiss and have now sent the parcel to Reiss. Nightmare!

They don't think a returns address was on the parcel. But it certainly was cos I recall buying a sharpie pen just to specifically insert returns addres!!! I don't post abroad that often but send tons of stuff around UK and always use returns address.

So I've called Reiss who were very helpful, said they will try their best to look out for it and deliver it back to me. Well I'd assume, that's all they could do given that the item (a dress) is way past it's standard 14 days return policy.

Long and short of it is: I'm truly annoyed with Royal Mail!

Compensation? :undecided
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport