Lifetime ISAs guide

Comments

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 September 2017 at 11:42PM
    When transfering any type of ISA from a previous tax year (even if you are changing the type of ISA) any growth (interest, dividends, etc) that has occured within the ISA wrapper is not treated as a new contribution to the ISA.

Contribution limits apply for adding new money from your bank etc into an ISA wrapper. ISA transfers and growth are not contributions.

Basically this year you can put £4k in from you bank etc. This can go directly into the LISA or by transfering a HTB you have contributed to this year and then toping up the LISA to no more than £4k.

Alex
  • Alexland wrote: »
    When transfering any type of ISA from a previous tax year (even if you are changing the type of ISA) any growth (interest, dividends, etc) that has occured within the ISA wrapper is not treated as a new contribution to the ISA.

Contribution limits apply for adding new money from your bank etc into an ISA wrapper. ISA transfers and growth are not contributions.

Basically this year you can put £4k in from you bank etc. This can go directly into the LISA or by transfering a HTB you have contributed to this year and then toping up the LISA to no more than £4k.

Alex

Perfect! Thanks for your help!
  • Alexland
    edited 26 September 2017 at 1:19PM
    No problem - the 'when to deposit the money' question is a good one for Cash LISAs - but as we have a pair of S&S LISAs (saving for 60 and already making contributions to multiple pensions each month) then the return on the LISA contribution is roughly the same as having it invested elsewhere (except the total Nutmeg fees are 0.27% higher than our Vanguard ISA with a VLS fund) so we will continue to fill them near the start of the year to get the growth (or loss if we are unlucky) on the bonus as early as possible.

Nutmeg recently added a reassuring green tick next to the account valuation saying we will get the maximum £1000 bonus next year which is a nice touch as you could fool yourself to think it's already in there!

Also as Nutmeg is our only ETF based investment you can get a preview of how the days trading has affected the value of our OEIC units (with similar asset allocations) in pension and ISA wrappers before the result is known the next morning.
  • Lolly88
    Lolly88 Posts: 322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry, I know the government are paying a bonus and not interest. I was getting my wires a bit crossed with the way the H2B ISA bonus is calculated. Sorry for the bad advice saver82290.
    Homeowner
    :j
  • Can I still get the LISA government bonus if I look at buying a house/flat on a help to buy scheme or is it one or the other??
  • Alexland
    edited 2 October 2017 at 9:02PM
    You can transfer your HTB ISA into a LISA (subject to age limit) to enable you to make a bigger contribution and so get a bigger bonus this year.

Using a LISA doesn't stop you from using other government initiatives to prop up house builders and the overall property market. Those schemes are mostly for the benefit of others anyway!!
  • pilotamx
    pilotamx Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi all,

can a LISA with 4k be converted to an Help-to-buy this year and get a 25% bonus on top? I opened a LISA with Nutmeg online few months ago but I am not happy with it and I am considering to move into an help-to-buy but I am not sure if I can do it. Apparently, if I just close LISA and open an help-to-buy I cannot start with the maximum yearly contribution to get full bonus in April 2018.

Thanks
    S
  • Alexland
    Why are you unhappy with Nutmeg? Surely you cannot be so unhappy you would want a smaller bonus? We are with Nutmeg and they have been great.
  • ciaomagre
    ciaomagre Posts: 19 Forumite
    Hi all - I just want to double check I've understood this properly. I've just opened a Skipton cash Lifetime ISA with £1 balance. I'm just about to deposit a lump sum of £3,999, bringing my total balance at the max yearly allowance of £4,000.

1) By end of April 2018, that means an extra government bonus of £1,000 is going to be paid into my balance all at once, bringing it up to £5,000. Is that correct?

2) As soon as new tax year stars in May 2018, I may then make another lump sum of £4,000. Throughout the tax year 2018/2019 I will receive monthly bonuses (around £80ish a month), and by April 2019 I will have received total monthly bonus' that add up to exactly £1,000. Is that correct?

3) So sticking to that, by April 2019 my balance will be £10,000, which will be composed of 2 x £4,000 of my own cash, plus 2 x government bonuses of £1,000. Have I understood all of this correctly?

Given that I'm not looking to buy in the short term but plan to in the next 3 - 5 years, I would be totally mad not to take advantage of the lifetime ISA wouldn't I? I think the above sounds like a no brainer but I'm a bit tentative about fully doing it because of all the negative comment about them...
  • Alexland
    1) Yes although it might be May 18 depending how long the Skipton and HMRC admin takes.

2&3) New tax year starts on 6th April 18 but otherwise yes deposit another £4k and after a bit of admin time you should get another £1k so the total is now £10k plus interest. The bonus would only be spread if your deposits were spread.

Most of the negative coments are about the confusion they cause with pensions and the low interest rate. If you used a 5pc regular saver for 5 years it would give you a similar 25pc+ return.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback