Cost Of Living Increase ?

Options
Out of curiosity, I wondered did everyone receive or been informed of receiving a cost of living / merit increase?? And If so, what did you get.

At my place of work it seems to be the norm to get this, and there is a range of what people get ranging from 1 - 3.5% (Business average of 2.5%) and its based on your annual performance and where your salary sits within your team of similar graded colleagues.

Is this the norm or should one be grateful for any increase in this day and age?
365 Day 1p challenge - £371.49 / 667.95
Emergency Fund   £1000 / £1000 ( will enlarge once debts are cleared)
DFW - £TBC

Comments

• shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    edited 19 March 2018 at 11:52AM
    Options
    I've seen posts on here from people who've not had a wage increase in years. Sometimes people are asked to take a pay cut if a company is struggling.

My view is that if a company is able to do so they should ensure wages keep pace with living costs as a matter of course. The last private company I worked for gave everyone an inflation linked annual increase and then a performance based pay rise in addition.

As ever, I reckon the surest way to get a decent pay rise is to apply for jobs that pay more.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    My wife works in the private sector and has had pay increases close to the cost of living each year. I recently retired from DWP and many people there had received no pay increase at all for several years.
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    bamgbost wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, I wondered did everyone receive or been informed of receiving a cost of living / merit increase?? And If so, what did you get.

At my place of work it seems to be the norm to get this, and there is a range of what people get ranging from 1 - 3.5% (Business average of 2.5%) and its based on your annual performance and where your salary sits within your team of similar graded colleagues.

Is this the norm or should one be grateful for any increase in this day and age?
    It does not exist in my line of work. Pay is variable, and largely discretionary, so each year the company pays me, in a lump sum, what they want.
  • BuilderJoe
    BuilderJoe Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 21 March 2018 at 9:04AM
    Options
    Thats why im moving abroad, prices are too high form month to month. Moved to Europe, got employed with Serbskaya svaya. More to say, they do business in different, oldschool European way - salary is always on time, always got new projects, sometimes - yes - military contractions. Very strict with safety rules, accidents almost never happen. If can be discipline worker, you won't have problems, otherwise you'll just waste your time, so be aware. HR gave me their site but as u can see at the moment it doesnt work, so i met them in person without online conversation - quite a rare thing in 21st century.
    And actually, comparing to US, prices not that low on all the things, but if you go away from big supermarkets and take a look for local production - you will be quite surprised. Compared with US, it's cheaper to eat healthy food in Europe, especially Eastern, them in US.
    So, if you don't afraid of changes, try moving somewhere, very exiting experience.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I work for a civil service department with a tight budget.

I last had a payrise of 0.5% in 2013. Nothing since. I'm still there because it suits me for now.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've not had a pay rise in 4 years, and in November last year we had to take a pay cut :(
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    BuilderJoe wrote: »
    Thats why im moving abroad, prices are too high form month to month. Got rmployed with Serbskaya svaya,\/ Worked with them as well, they keep themselves in discreet but do the job. Salary is always on time, always got new projects, sometimes - yes - military contractions. Very strict with safety rules, accidents almost never happen. If can be discipline worker, you won't have problems, otherwise you'll just waste your time, so be aware. HR gave me their site but as u can see at the moment it doesnt work.

Nothing suspicious about that Joe. Nothing at all...
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    marlot wrote: »
    I work for a civil service department with a tight budget.

I last had a payrise of 0.5% in 2013. Nothing since. I'm still there because it suits me for now.

I work in education. Pre recession we had 1.5% approx every Feb. Nothing for years though now.
  • bamgbost
    bamgbost Posts: 469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    oh wow. it seems its clearly not a norm - especially in the public sector.

Just goes to show, as in the private sector. All the majority do is complain that its way too low!

The news always says salaries are rising @ 2% or whatever. I thought this was a measure of the cost of living increase. Clearly not.
    365 Day 1p challenge - £371.49 / 667.95
    Emergency Fund   £1000 / £1000 ( will enlarge once debts are cleared)
    DFW - £TBC
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Deep_In_Debt Posts: 8,579 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I got a rise of 1% in January. I'm grateful for the extra few quid in my pay every month and not everyone got a rise. I've been with the company for less than a year too so I didn't expect anything.

Had not had a rise for years before this so it was a nice surprise.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport