MSE Poll: Energy smart meters: What's your view?

Comments

• Carrie2410
    Carrie2410 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 7 March 2018 at 7:01PM
    I have absolutely no need for a smart meter, nor do I want one. I simply read my own electricity and gas meters on the 1st of every month, input the readings into the two utility company websites, they immediately issue an up to date amount payable, and I pay it via online banking. Sorted. If they wish to send out a meter reader every so often to check on my readings, then that is fine and keeps somebody in a job. In this way I can see if my use has gone up or down, but it is fairly obvious that in a cold spell my gas bill will go up, and that if I plug in an electric fire, my electricity bill will go up too. I really see no need for a smart meter. Also I am concerned about the health issues surrounding these meters, and am actively trying to cut down on technology. Since switching off my wifi router at night, I find I sleep much better and have not woken up with a headache at all. I also leave my mobile phone out of the bedroom. No more unnecessary technology please. I will not have a smart meter.
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I like the idea of smart meters in principle but, as usual in the UK, the execution is very much "I put my pants on my head today" stupid.
    • You've got version 1 and version 2 of the standard for the meters
    • You're going to have a mixture of these for at least a decade
    • There'll be a mix of the ones that use a mobile signal and the ones that can connect to each other locally
    • There's the case of what about the in home display thing - from what I've heard, when it fails (and it will) that's it, you have to pay for a new one
    • The DCC that's meant to manage the data from the meters going to the suppliers is still not 100% about the version 1 meters being compatible with their systems and if they can be remotely upgraded to version 2
    • When the gas meter's battery goes, there's no consensus on whether it'll close immediately or stay open (although the meter's supposed to "phone home" and say "please send the man in a van out to me with a new battery asap", although you want to bet they'd wait until a whole street's meters need new batteries)
    • Taking your own readings isn't easy with some meters (Liberty Secure ones are cheap for the suppliers to buy and you can see it from the design and how tricky it is to operate the control panels and read the displays)
    Once they get all of these sorted out, I'll be happy to have them installed.
  • telemarks
    telemarks Posts: 255 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 8 March 2018 at 2:45PM
    I'm going to be mercenary on this and wait, a long time if needed, to make sure:
    1. I get SMETS 2 meters, that have already been tested by others over many different energy switches.
    2. I read the reviews of the Smart meters and their remote controls, and switch energy suppliers if needed, to ensure the SMERTS2 fitted is well reviewed and has display that gives me the control I want.
    3. The installer gives an guarantee that the meter will work in a detached house, not near others, in an area that does not have any mobile signal

Unlit I'm happy on these three, I won't allow smart meters into my house. I'm sure fitting will be tricky in my confined space with limited access, so I'm not going though it twice.
    If any supplier starts to insist I fit a smart meter that doesn't pass my three criteria then I'll be switching supplier faster than they can say "smart meter"! :)
  • stevemul
    stevemul Posts: 19 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Without wanting to stick up for the free-market too much, if usage went down then the energy company's costs would go down, so the total amount they bill could come down and their profit would remain the same.

Since when were prices based on cost? We've come a long way since those days!
  • donny_jim
    donny_jim Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I had one fitted by British gas, but since I moved companies it's now useless. But there is still the possibility that hackers could interfere with it. Also I'm surprised you are recommending the B.gas deal as you MUST have a meter fitted as part of the deal. How is it SMART if it cannot be transferred to your new provider. Each new smart meter costs, we are paying for this folly.
  • donny_jim
    stevemul wrote: »
    Since when were prices based on cost? We've come a long way since those days!
    These meters cost, that cost is paid by us, then if you move you need a new meter fitted, more cost, not saving.
  • donny_jim
    telemarks wrote: »
    I'm going to be mercenary on this and wait, a long time if needed, to make sure:
    1. I get SMETS 2 meters, that have already been tested by others over many different energy switches.
    2. I read the reviews of the Smart meters and their remote controls, and switch energy suppliers if needed, to ensure the SMERTS2 fitted is well reviewed and has display that gives me the control I want.
    3. The installer gives an guarantee that the meter will work in a detached house, not near others, in an area that does not have any mobile signal

Unlit I'm happy on these three, I won't allow smart meters into my house. I'm sure fitting will be tricky in my confined space with limited access, so I'm not going though it twice.
    If any supplier starts to insist I fit a smart meter that doesn't pass my two criteria then I'll be switching supplier faster than they can say "smart meter"! :rotfl:
    I like your comment but that moving emoji is annoying.
  • donny_jim
    It's another folly like the so called FREE light bulbs we got. We are now encouraged to use LED bulbs, I wonder how many of those free bulbs have never been used.
  • donny_jim
    It would be a terrible shame if you had to go out, all day, due to unforeseen circumstances on the day of the appointment.

They can't force you to have one, just say no no no.
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I can't select an option, as there are none that really fit.
    I have a smart meter that is not smart because I moved to a different company... I then moved back to the original company and it still can't be made "smart" again.
    I can't say that I ever used it before even when it was smart as I never had the remote bit plugged in.
    I only switched so that it would send meter readings, which it now no longer does.
    brutus6 wrote: »
    It's that it is harder to read than a normal meter.

I just plug my handheld thing in and it displays the meter readings after a few secs. No need to read the meter.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport