Travelling to a wedding

Comments

• susancs wrote: »
    The cheapest option would be megabus £5-£7 each way from Aberdeen bus station to London Victoria coach station in March . Then get pick up transport to near the venue or your accommodation and then taxi (uber with the discount for a first time user on the app if you haven't used them before) to the venue. If you go overnight you may well have a row of seats to sleep on (a friend of mine goes to and from London and Edinburgh by Megabus and says it is often half empty).
    https://uk.megabus.com/

Plenty of cheap Travelodges in Essex area if you want to arrive a day before the wedding and stay the night before and night of the wedding. it would involve you taking a days annual leave probably on the Friday to do that and travelling during the day rather than after work. You can also pay £10 to check in from noon in Travelodge hotels.

If you give an idea of where the venue is, can help look up public transport to near it from London.

I did that the last time I attended a wedding in London. £3 return on the Megabus from Glasgow to London. The heating was jammed on full blast so everyone on the bus ended up sweaty and minging. We all got put off the bus at some service station in Lancashire in the middle of the night until a replacement bus turned up....never again! As you say I would also need to use a day of annual leave to travel.

That's when I found out the hard way about 2pm check-ins. I'd left it to my boyfriend to sort out the accommodation because I was tired of always having to organise everything. We were staying in the same hotel as the rest of the guests but he had neglected to bring the hotel information with him or request an early check-in. Thankfully the hotel staff took pity on me and let us check-in at noon once we eventually got there (had to phone the bride to ask for directions).

The nearest travel lodge to the venue is 9 miles away. I found a very reasonable priced Airbnb in the same village as the venue which I've now booked but can cancel if something better comes along.

The venue is in a village near the Essex/Suffolk border. I don't want to say exactly where just in case I can be identified.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The venue is in a village near the Essex/Suffolk border. I don't want to say exactly where just in case I can be identified.

How silly. :rotfl:
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    What about getting the train to/from Edinburgh and then flying to/from Stansted, would that be a possibility.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Returning home you can get a Sunday flight from Stansted to Aberdeen, albeit via Amsterdam, 5 hours 5 minutes - 16:00 - landing at 21:50
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    What days are you travelling - outward Saturday and return Sunday or different days.
  • KeithP wrote: »
    How silly. :rotfl:

Maybe it is...
  • What about getting the train to/from Edinburgh and then flying to/from Stansted, would that be a possibility.

Yes, that was one of the options in my OP. The Easyjet flights are less expensive than the BA flights but by the time you take into account the train and tram fares there's not much in it. Stansted Airport is about a 45 minute drive from the wedding venue. No idea how much a taxi would be as it's been a long time since I've been in that part of the world.

Whereas if I go the London City airport route I would probably get the DLR to Stratford, then a train out to Braintree, and then a 20 minute taxi ride to the village.
  • What days are you travelling - outward Saturday and return Sunday or different days.

I'm travelling down on the Friday afternoon/evening, wedding is on Saturday, and then returning on the Sunday.
  • Returning home you can get a Sunday flight from Stansted to Aberdeen, albeit via Amsterdam, 5 hours 5 minutes - 16:00 - landing at 21:50

I would be as well waiting for the 19:00 flight from Stansted to Dundee and then driving back up the road which would get me home earlier than those KLM flights.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 4 January 2018 at 8:40AM

I live in a village near the Essex/Suffolk border,.
    It's a fairly long border, but if you let me know where the venue is (PM me if you prefer) and if it's in my neck of the woods I'd be happy to suggest/recommend options, based on local knowledge :)

I haven't voted in your poll because my answer will depend on where the venue is!
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business