Food for Rescue Dog

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 5 March 2018 at 8:26PM in Pets & pet care
Hello

We have a 3 year old very lively German Shorthaired Pointer who is 20kg -currently she is on Nature's Menu Superfood Raw frozen food in the evening and Acana Prairie Poultry for breakfast on its own.

We would like to get another rescue but could do with making some savings with food if possible in order for this to happen.

She doesnt seem that impressed with the dry food in the morning but still eats it, shikee is quite greedy and will delve in the bin if the mood strikes

Many thanks

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    GSPGirl wrote: »
    Hello

We have a 3 year old very lively German Shorthaired Pointer who is 20kg -currently she is on Nature's Menu Superfood Raw frozen food in the evening and Acana Prairie Poultry for breakfast on its own.

We would like to get another rescue but could do with making some savings with food if possible in order for this to happen.

She doesnt seem that impressed with the dry food in the morning but still eats it, shikee is quite greedy and will delve in the bin if the mood strikes

Many thanks
    If you look on websites, several manufacturers give free or cheap samples to try.

In general 5kg sacks of dried food workout cheaper than smaller bags. However, you get what you pay for as some of the 'big' names (only big because they are available in every supermarket) consist of a lot of filler with little nutritional value.
  • doglover86
    doglover86 Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    I know what you mean about feeding Acana and wanting to make some savings, it's great food but it really is pricey.

My compromise on top quality food is this stuff: https://www.petconnection.ie/pet-connection-super-premium-hypoallergenic-dog-food-adult-salmon-and-potato-12kg-c2x24226258 - it's gluten free, it's decent enough meat content, it's good on sensitive tummies and mine have done really well on it, and the bag price is a lot less than you'd pay for Acana. I've fed very picky eaters on this stuff and suggested it to friends with similarly exceptionally picky dogs and it's always gone down a lot better than other foods. There's a few different flavours, I think Chicken is the cheapest but mine love the Salmon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure