Norwegian fjords cruise

Wife and I fancy trying a cruise, probably the Norwegian Fjords to see the work of Slartibartfast. I've not been been a cruise since I was a kid and my wife never has, though we've done loads of long ferry crossings.

We've been put off cruising so far by all the pretentiousness you hear about, we're not interested in dining on the captain's table etc, and petty rules and procedures - such as being told what you have to wear to dinner (no way am I wearing a suit or tie), having bags searched for booze, having to pay tips up front before even setting foot on the ship etc.

Can anyone recommend a cruise company that treats you like an adult and doesn't tell you what you have to wear, tip, bring aboard (within reason) etc?

We've been looking at Hurtigruten which seems to fit the bill - has anyone been with them?

TIA

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 September 2017 at 8:34PM
    I've been with Hrutigruten. I don't like cruises but parent wanted to go so we picked something as least cruiselike as possible. No entertainment was a definite bonus. Small boats so they get in closer than the massive ones, plus extra short stops so you can at least get off and stretch your legs for a bit to stave off the stircraziness.
    I went in winter, and enjoyed the trips that we did as well. Overall, I think I'd recommend them if you don't want the full on cruise experience.
    I bought a bottle of brandy at the airport, took it and my hip flask and did diy drinks in the bar to avoid the ridiculous drinks prices. No one seemed to mind - this was about 7 years ago now. No dressing up involved. :)
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    My sister went on the MS Midnatsol with Hurtigruten a few weeks back. She certainly enjoyed it but I haven't had a chance to grill her about it yet.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Just watch out for Norwegian blue parrots!
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    elsien wrote: »
    I've been with Hrutigruten. I don't like cruises but parent wanted to go so we picked something as least cruiselike as possible. No entertainment was a definite bonus. Small boats so they get in closer than the massive ones, plus extra short stops so you can at least get off and stretch your legs for a bit to stave off the stircraziness.
    I went in winter, and enjoyed the trips that we did as well. Overall, I think I'd recommend them if you don't want the full on cruise experience.
    I bought a bottle of brandy at the airport, took it and my hip flask and did diy drinks in the bar to avoid the ridiculous drinks prices. No one seemed to mind - this was about 7 years ago now. No dressing up involved. :)
    Thanks - that sounds exactly what we're after. Couple of questions if you don't mind - it says "full board" - does that include drinks with meals or do you have to pay extra for drinks?

Also some of the excursions don't have prices, eg hikes, are they free? Though some hikes do have prices and look ridiculously expensive - £50-100 for a going on a walk? I might be missing something...
  • zagfles
    z1a wrote: »
    Just watch out for Norwegian blue parrots!
    It's OK, they're dead ;)
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    If I remember rightly, tea/coffee and some soft drinks were provided with meals. Anything alcoholic and between meals was extra, although when I went it was breakfast/evening meal included and lunch was extra. I just took extra stuff from the breakfast buffet to have for lunch, and took my own kettle/tea bags. I'm not normally that tight but Norway generally was ridiculously expensive. Two steaks and two small beers in a hotel hit the £60 mark, even that long ago.
    Don't know about the hikes, but Hrutigruten customer service are very helpful if you have any queries beforehand. We knew the trips were silly money compared to here, but it was parent's 70th, she wanted to see the Northern lights so we decided to go for it regardless of price as if we didn't see the lights we still wanted the trip to be worthwhile. Although tipping her off the snowmobile into a snowdrift wasn't part of the plan. :D
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • zagfles
    elsien wrote: »
    If I remember rightly, tea/coffee and some soft drinks were provided with meals. Anything alcoholic and between meals was extra, although when I went it was breakfast/evening meal included and lunch was extra. I just took extra stuff from the breakfast buffet to have for lunch, and took my own kettle/tea bags. I'm not normally that tight but Norway generally was ridiculously expensive. Two steaks and two small beers in a hotel hit the £60 mark, even that long ago.
    Don't know about the hikes, but Hrutigruten customer service are very helpful if you have any queries beforehand. We knew the trips were silly money compared to here, but it was parent's 70th, she wanted to see the Northern lights so we decided to go for it regardless of price as if we didn't see the lights we still wanted the trip to be worthwhile. Although tipping her off the snowmobile into a snowdrift wasn't part of the plan. :D
    Thanks - will check with them.

I can understand stuff like snowmobile trips being expensive, but £50-100 each for a guided hike :eek: I think we'll get a good guidebook and find our own way! Or maybe follow the group at a discreet distance ;)
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,505 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    The one thing Norway definately isn't is an MSE travel destination.

As soon as you need to buy any essentials such as food and drink with no self catering facilities you can be in to £100-200 a day each and that's for basic food. Even self catering food is expensive and you can only buy most alcohol from Government off licences. Beer is more widely available, but expensive.

On one trip we had a buffet included for lunch, we noticed it was advertised at hotel reception for £50 each, drinks extra at £10 for a beer, glass of wine £20. Made the £90 we paid for a day trip look very good value.

Whilst you have a view on cruising things have changed a lot.

Never seen a Captains table for evening dinner. I have eaten with the Captain. He was in the buffet one lunchtime and came and sat with us.
    Dress codes are being relaxed and removed completely on some lines
    No need to pay tips up front.
    Bags are checked for security purposes when going back on ship.

A week on a cruise ship, rather than a Hurtigruten modern ferry will start at about £700 and this is by far one of the most cost effective ways of visiting Norway.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    zagfles wrote: »
    Wife and I fancy trying a cruise, probably the Norwegian Fjords to see the work of Slartibartfast.

I'm no help but :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: :T :T :T
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • zagfles
    daveyjp wrote: »
    The one thing Norway definately isn't is an MSE travel destination.

As soon as you need to buy any essentials such as food and drink with no self catering facilities you can be in to £100-200 a day each and that's for basic food. Even self catering food is expensive and you can only buy most alcohol from Government off licences. Beer is more widely available, but expensive.

On one trip we had a buffet included for lunch, we noticed it was advertised at hotel reception for £50 each, drinks extra at £10 for a beer, glass of wine £20. Made the £90 we paid for a day trip look very good value.

Whilst you have a view on cruising things have changed a lot.

Never seen a Captains table for evening dinner. I have eaten with the Captain. He was in the buffet one lunchtime and came and sat with us.
    Dress codes are being relaxed and removed completely on some lines
    No need to pay tips up front.
    Bags are checked for security purposes when going back on ship.

A week on a cruise ship, rather than a Hurtigruten modern ferry will start at about £700 and this is by far one of the most cost effective ways of visiting Norway.
    Thanks - yes, I know Norway is ridiculously expensive! One of the reasons we thought a full board cruise might be a good option, that plus it's a good way to see the fjords. Even though it's not our usual type of holiday.

Would you recommend any other cruise companies to look at? I know some still do all the pretentious stuff because I know quite a few people who go on cruises - one couple were on about how they get a butler (seriously!) and another is always posting pictures of them in dicky bows/tux/cocktail dresses etc, and someone else I spoke to said he packs 3 suits! I really want to avoid any of that!

Hurtigruten do look reasonable value for the basic cruise, the excursions look very expensive but we'll probably look into doing our own thing in port, although as it's Norway it might not be much cheaper! Other than hiking - even in Norway walking is free!

I don't mind bag searches for security - as long as they don't get fussy if you bring drinks etc on. From what I've read about Hurtigruten they don't care.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure