PCP car repairs - where can they be done? £700 for 2 tyres and 2 shock absorbers?

Options
Hi,

I have a VW golf on PCP, which went in for a service in April this year (FOC service due to the PCP plan). They highlighted that the front shock absorbers both needed replacing, as well as two new tyres at the rear. They (the dealership) quoted ~£700 for the work, which seemed excessive to me, less than a year since I purchased the car.

My questions are:
On a PCP do I need to get repairs done at the dealership? (Have googled this but everything talks about servicing - which I've already had carried out at the dealership). I've also looked through my PCP paperwork, but see no mention of this.
(2) Is this price reasonable, or is it hugely inflated due to it being the dealership?

I'd be most appreciative for any help anyone can offer with this as my car knowledge is fairly poor.

Many thanks in advance,

James

Comments

• facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Of course you don't need to get repairs done at the dealer: how will they know you had it repaired anyway?

Provided nothing is sub-standard there won't be any problem when you hand it back.

Be careful with tyres: if you return it with ditchfinders fitted they will try and charge you something, as the car is worth more with premium brand tyres than ditchfinders.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You should be looking around £450 or so for decent mid-range tyres and decent front shocks.

How old is the vehicle and what is the mileage? If it was bought new and is only a year old you want to be getting the shocks replaced on warranty as they should do at least 50,000 miles and many typically do 100,000.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Shock absorbers and tyres less than a year since purchase? :eek:

How many miles have you done, and what sort of roads have you been driving on?

Tyres may be acceptable to change due to mileage. Shocks I'd say were faulty at the outset if they need changing so soon.

Or have you not told us the full story?
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Shock absorbers and tyres less than a year since purchase? :eek:

How many miles have you done, and what sort of roads have you been driving on?

Tyres may be acceptable to change due to mileage. Shocks I'd say were faulty at the outset if they need changing so soon.

Or have you not told us the full story?
    To be fair, the OP hasn't said whether it was a new car purchase or not.
  • DoaM
    Options
    You can buy quite old second hand cars on PCP? What's the point?

(Or am I confusing PCP with PCH? Will OP ever own the vehicle under PCP?)
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    The last letter is P-for-Purchase or H-for-Hire.

Simply...
    PCP - you're financing the entire purchase price. You pay the deposit, you pay the monthlies, at the end you hand the car back or pay the balloon and drive away in your fully-owned car.
    PCH - you're renting. You pay the deposit, you pay the monthlies, at the end you hand the car back.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    You can buy quite old second hand cars on PCP? What's the point?

At the end of the day PCP is just another form of Hire Purchase which you can get for new and used cars alike. PCH is purely leasing and you never have an option to buy.
  • DoaM
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    The last letter is P-for-Purchase or H-for-Hire.

There's me thinking the P stood for Plan. :)

Thanks for the correction.

I'd still wonder about the age and mileage of the vehicle for the faults noted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure