Transferring positive balance to bank account

Options
Hi all,
I recently got a 0% 0 fee balance transfer credit card. I transferred the maximum permissible amount (95% of the credit limit) from that credit card onto my MBNA card which I normally don't use, so the MBNA card is now in a positive balance. I will be calling up MBNA & requesting them to transfer the entire positive balance to my bank account. Will I need to give them a reason as to how come I ended up with a 5 figure positive balance or will it all be done without any questions asked & without any charges/penalties.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• dm19
    dm19 Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I did this with capital one, and said I transfered to the wrong card by mistake, but the impression I got was that they weren't fussed. Can't say for MBNA as such.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    Because of the large amount involved, it is very likely they will insist on paying back to the originating account. Even if the call centre process it, compliance will pick it up and ask questions to establish if you are money laundering. If they don't believe your reasons, they'll potentially put a CIFAS marker on youe credit file, so blocking practically any future borrowing.

It's a really stupid idea.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've done it many times with MBNA over the years, but had an uncomfortable experience* earlier this year. Even though I'd kept all loading transactions/refund requests under £10K I was still grilled about them, primarily due to the sheer number of similar mistakes I was making week after week! Breathed a sigh of relief when I'd finally managed to get the £30K+ out!

Please do feed back on your experience, especially if it's a bad one.

* Detailed on this board at the time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport