PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• reb
    reb Posts: 315 Forumite
    Sylvan wrote: »

Half the time the supermarkets "run out" of things that are on offer within the first day or so and don't get more in for the rest of the offer period. (For instance the Branston Baked Beans at Mr T. The day after the offer started they were "Out of stock at the warehouse" - at several different warehouses...) I'm sure they use this as a ploy to entice people in, without actually having to sell the goods cheaply.

A few years ago there was a rule that if there was an offer in Mr T that they had run out of you can go to customer services and ask them for a note which means you can get the offer when they come in to stock even if the offer has gone off. You don't have to go immediately, just next time you shop. Maybe someone can say if this is still current. I don't want to go to check because I may spend money!! :eek:
    I don't get to come on here too often.
    Too buzy money saving!
    :D
  • taka
    taka Posts: 3,483
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    reb wrote: »
    A few years ago there was a rule that if there was an offer in Mr T that they had run out of you can go to customer services and ask them for a note which means you can get the offer when they come in to stock even if the offer has gone off. You don't have to go immediately, just next time you shop. Maybe someone can say if this is still current. I don't want to go to check because I may spend money!! :eek:
    I think it is called a Raincheck voucher or similar...
    Mortgage free as of 12/08/20!
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
  • gailey wrote: »
    Queen of string would that onion soup recipie work on hob or normal oven?

Nykmedia you mentioned chocolate for cooking? what? desserts?
    Reason I ask is im intrigued by willy wonkeys chocolate factory on c4 with recipies on c4 website where he uses chocolate in savoury dishes in fact practically everything he cooks but his is posh stuff he makes himself i somehow get impression grated dairy milk in my casserole not quite same effect?

I know that authentic Mexican Chilli-con-Carne contains chocolate.... :confused:
    Lightbulb moment: -£9,954.31 Current Debt: £0

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
  • webitha
    webitha Posts: 4,799 Forumite
    i spent 48pence to get some lard as i had run out of bread, so i have spent all day making 2 loaves and loads of rolls
    If we can put a man on the moon...how come we cant put them all there?

• OrkneyStar wrote: »
    Where is it 26p a bag ?

My local Morrisons is selling the Value brand at 26p a bag. :D
    Lightbulb moment: -£9,954.31 Current Debt: £0

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
  • Zend
    Zend Posts: 166 Forumite
    One of my freezers broke down on New Years Eve, full of homegrown produce. Managed to get most of the food into my other freezer, with a lot of pushing and shoving. Plan to try and live off what is in the freezer this month. Luckily, DH has worked on refrigeration units for his job so £13 for a new thermostate and no call out/repair bill :j .
    January spend = £100
    Spent =
    saving =
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,936
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    gailey wrote: »
    Nykmedia you mentioned chocolate for cooking? what? desserts?
    Reason I ask is im intrigued by willy wonkeys chocolate factory on c4 with recipies on c4 website where he uses chocolate in savoury dishes in fact practically everything he cooks but his is posh stuff he makes himself i somehow get impression grated dairy milk in my casserole not quite same effect?

Sorry, I missed this earlier as I'm so slow at keeping up with the threads. It's nothing glam or fancy, I'm afraid. It's used mainly for grating into hot chocolate, making up the snowman soup gifts (that I learned about on MSE), grating over trifles, using to make marshmallow top-hats and crumbling into homemade desserts, ice cream, cakes & biscuits. As long as I buy dark chocolate I know it's safe from being scoffed, otherwise I'd munch my way through it! :D

On the sauce front, I would normally make my own but, at £1.50 for 10 sachets of sauce, I couldn't possibly make Korma or Tikka Masala for that price. I promise I only stock up on what I use, I can't just nip to the shop if I run out of anything and I don't live within a delivery area of any supermarkets. Appr0ved F00ds has been a fantastic find, for me, on MSE :T
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • jinky67
    jinky67 Posts: 47,812 Forumite
    Well today i spent the grand total of £3.00:grin:
    :heartpulsOnce a Flylady, always a Flylady:heartpuls
  • gailey_2
    gailey_2 Posts: 2,329
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We like to take advantage of bogoffs only if its stuff we like recently we been in lidls so no bogoffs or buying more basic ranges.
    bogoff on tins and frozen always useful as will keep.

Right today ran out of coffee far to sold to walk me and toddler round retail park so got bus £1.90.

1st stop lidls and got 2 baking potatoes for lunch1 apple which daughter wantedsmall jar of coffee1 tin of spag hoops ,rob squash and huge jar of golden syrup for homemade biscuits came to £4.60

then sainsburys for cheese1 tin of baked beans £1.63.

Last night spent £6.03 in co-op as was shutting down so few bargains and got baiscs like bread and milk had over £6 of ebay money so paid with that.
    It shuts friday not sure if should go back see what bargains there are.
    wasent much left be sad to see it go as hate somerfeild.

Was impressed with lidls today as really quiet and cheap but not as good for coffee as aldis.

Cant wait for 15th but still ages away might try and sell few things so can go shopping before then.
    going to do hubby sausage casserole tonight and i will have supernoodles as stuffed from 2huge jackets with cheese at lunch.
    will bake biscuits later too.
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • orchid-96 wrote: »
    Hi all, am trying to keep up with this thread as reading your posts helps to keep me on the straight and narrow....

I wonder if any of you can help, I have got a tesco order coming tomorrow (am only doing it as I got a free £10 off voucher as they messed up a bit on my christmas order) so with delivery its like £6 towards the bill, (no min spend) so am getting stuff there that I can't get anywhere else (like their value dishwasher tablets etc.) anyway I have noticed they have an offer for 3 meat items for £10 which seems good value, has anyone else picked these up? I feel a bit bad as I was going to get some chicken and I usually like to buy the 'happy' chicken where possible, but am soooo skint and in need of cheap meals for my family....anyway just wanted to know if anyone else has got this deal and if it is a good one...

Thanks
    They have had the 3 meats for a tenner on for a while now-certainly instore-its not the "new" offer they claim it is. Anyhow yes Ive had the offer and its decent enough. If you think on 3.33 per item its a good deal but not saving a fortune. Id go for it and see what you think yourself. Whilst I also like happy chickens its not an always thing-just a choice one. Ive got reduced chicken legs in the oven tonight and they were not happy Im sorry to say. Somerfield also do a value chicken for £2.49 which I also tried once. No problems with it but Im trying to buy a lot more happy chickens.

Decided that next shop will be in Lidl and Morrissons as I think Im missing out on Mr M deals!
    I will be near one on 12th and 13th so that is when I will stock up.

Stayed in today and have actually got tea sorted. Chicken legs in oven-trifle underway-I will do an apple crumble tonight and the veggies are cooked. I was going to boil pots but DD23 wants roasts so I will cheat with frozen ones. If Mr M has the cheap flour there I shall stock up-even though Im not in need of any. It will get used another day so a couple of bags of each wont break the bank. I also want to find some lentils at a decent price-meanwhile using up other stuff. SAs I didnt go out my keys are still at work and they can wait until tomorrow when I have to pop in anyhow. Not working until Friday and Im gonna get them then annyhow. Funny-as soon as I hung up my fleece I had a feeling Id forget it and come home in my work jacket. Next time-it will be crammed in my locker!

Re the value items and offers which are never available I too believe its a ploy to get us in the shop in the beginning. I think they get one pallett so they can prove they are selling it and then when you get inside as its gone you buy something more expensive. This is why I never chase around like a blue ***** fly trying to get the supermarkets latest offers-because other wise I would also become one of the statistics of theirs who "spent on the more expensive one" which is exactly what they are striving for. If Im in the area I shop there-and if not I do without/shop elsewhere.

Although Im a stockpiler I dont have any large quantities of any one item-just lots of items and lots of variety and I think that is the case with many stockpilers. Offer or not we all get sick of an item if we have too much of it and I dont think its due to stockpilers that these shops have run out I believe its due to only ordering a small amount of something to tempt us-on purpose!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure