Ex partner says he needs to know my income?

Hi, so my ex partner, who left me and my 3 children at the beginning of January has told me I need to provide him with my monthly income from January 17 to December 17 so he can claim universal tax credits. Is this right? Why would he need that information if we are no longer together?

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,841
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    JeanBaby wrote: »
    Hi, so my ex partner, who left me and my 3 children at the beginning of January has told me I need to provide him with my monthly income from January 17 to December 17 so he can claim universal tax credits. Is this right? Why would he need that information if we are no longer together?
    He wouldn't need your income to claim UC, if you're no longer together.
  • MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    No, he would not need that information at all it he is claiming as a single person.
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • Paparika
    Paparika Posts: 2,476
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    would he trying to claim money for the children?
    making out you are the absent parent?

would he need that information then?
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Is it universal credits or tax credits?

Did you have a joint tax credit claim when together?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,366
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Requesting income for 2017 would suggest that the ex is trying to claim tax credits although that could be as part of a UC claim. In the OPs situation I wouldn't be inclined to provide that information as she is not longer his partner and has no part in the claim.
  • Yes we did have a previous tax credit claim together. He cancelled that when he left. I don!!!8217;t understand why he needs this information. It!!!8217;s starting to worry me slightly. Could I just tell him no and that if they need it to contact me directly?
  • So I have just rung universal credits and they said that he dosnt need that information. Now I!!!8217;m really worrying about what he wants it for.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,366
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    You can certainly tell him that if the information is required for one of the benefits he is trying to claim, you will need something in writing from them, and you will send it direct to them. I'd be just as suspicious as you are that he is trying to claim something he isn't entitled to.
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    Just tell him sorry no. You're not together any more, if he moans just tell him to get the department concerned to contact you directly. If this happens you can have a conversation with them about why it's needed!
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,841
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    JeanBaby wrote: »
    So I have just rung universal credits and they said that he dosnt need that information. Now I!!!8217;m really worrying about what he wants it for.
    You're not together anymore. Want you earn is none of his business and you don't have to tell him anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure