Help! First Utility issues

I have a situation with First Utility and dont know where to turn to now.
In November 2013, just after purchasing my house, I switched supplier from BG to NPower. During the switch, BG changed my electricity and gas meters - my gas meter went to a zero reading. I informed NPower of the new reading and left it at that.
In November 2014, I switched to First Utility. When I inputted my meter readings, their gas reading from NPower didnt match my reading. We subsequently discovered that NPower hadnt updated the reading back in December 2013 and had been estimating my bills and my final bill didnt match the actual consumption.
Months of to-ing and fro-ing ensued involving the Ombudsman and finally resulted in an apology and compensation from NPower due to their failings.

In that time I sent in 5 photographs of my gas meter to First Utility who promised to resolve the situation asap as they were having issues with NPower!
First Utility finally accepted my meter readings on 15th May 2017! During that time I continually paid my direct debit every month for both gas and electric based on my rate of the year 2014-2015. I was continually assured by First Utility that they would resolve my situation and would keep me on my original rate. I tried every year to change supplier but First Utility blocked each attempt as my account was still in review due to NPower issues.
I have phone call accounts and dates and email accounts etc... with First Utility.
Out of the blue on the 21st December 2017, I am informed by an email that my monthly payment is increasing to £287 per month as I have an outstanding bill of £4000 plus!! Once again I call First Utility who acknowledge that my account is in contention and that the bill is based on estimation.
By this time I have had enough. I give them a new reading and am told that I have been moved 3 times to a new tariff and that nothing can be done. Bearing in mind I have continued to pay my direct debit until 12th December 2017.
I immediately cancel my direct debit and am now in serious discussions with them which are going nowhere.
Once again using Martin Lewis cheap energy comparison and working out my consumption since Dec 2014 until now, I should be paying roughly £101 per month for duel fuel. First Utility are saying I have an outstanding bill of over £1700. I am a single mother with one son in a 2 bedroom house. I am constantly receiving phone calls and emails from First Utility demanding payment. Someone has been assigned my case, but she constantly apologizes to me for the phone calls and emails saying that they are dealing with my situation as they have admitted failings on their part.
I am unable to change supplier and dont know where to turn to now. I have been in touch with the Ombudsman but have to wait 8 weeks now to give First Utility time to resolve my situation - they have had 38 months to resolve it and havent yet done so.
Does anyone have any advice please?

Comments

• CashStrapped
    CashStrapped Posts: 1,294 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 February 2018 at 6:34PM
    You have to go the ombudsman. This should have been escalated much earlier to them after it was not resolved in the first instance.

But, there is nothing you can do about that now.

Just ensure that the information you give to the ombudsman is clear and concise. Include photos of the meter readings etc.

You could even include a calculation of the savings you would have made if you had been able to switch.

Hopefully it will be resolved to your satisfaction.

Remember, if nothing is resolved over the phone, you should always escalate a situation to a formal complaint, preferably by letter. This ensures that they have to follow the correct complaints procedure and timescales for resolution.

Informal chats on the telephone are not always recorded as a formal complaint, therefore they can string out their response, not intentionally maybe, but it means that a complaint has not technically been logged and the timescales until an ombudsman is involved is not triggered so to speak.

Then when you do want to go to the ombudsman (and you can't go direct) you have to go through the energy companies complains procedure.....at which point you are left thinking....!!!!!! have I been doing for the last xx months.....

Edit: always work out your consumption using your actual meter readings and KWH usage. Do not use direct debit figures as these are not directly related to how much energy you have actually used.
  • Thanks CashStrapped for your advice. Luckily I have copies of all emails and phone call dates.
    I have been asked by First Utility to give them time to resolve this situation (as if 3 plus years hasnt been long enough), but it seems that the person who originally dealt with my situation is no longer there so my situation got 'lost' according to them.
    They have admitted failings and incorrect account control on their part, but I think its time I go to the ombudsman.
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It reads as though you have not yet raised a formal complaint with First Utility.

WRITE to them and put the word COMPLAINT in big bold letters at the top of your letter.

In it, detail the events and what resolution you want and send it by recorded delivery.

Keep a note of the date you send it and 8 weeks later, escalate it to the Ombudsman and refuse to allow them to close the complaint until you have either gone through the Ombudsman or get the resolution required.
  • Yes, you are correct. I've been asked to wait to give them a chance to resolve it, but its not happening so yes, I will do as you suggest.
    Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport