Not at fault but "at fault"! The BARE-FACED CHEEK of insurers

I was driving down the motorway and an an object flew up at my car and did £1,400 of damage. I have a dashcam in my car and can see how the object, possibly a piece of wood, was lifted up off the tarmac by the car in front before it hurtled towards my car. The insurers have a copy of this video.

My insurers say that I am 'at fault' for this yet in reality I am well and truly the victim here and not 'at fault' in any way according to the normal meaning of the phrase. This means that I am having to pay an extra 33% on my premium.

I know this term 'at fault' is a technical term but how can the insurers get away with this. Is there anything I can do?

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Dont make claims.. Errr thats about it really. Harsh but nothing else to offer.

You made a claim with no hope of another person/insurer paying for the claim. Life sucks but thats about it.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• You're confusing blame and 'fault'.

Whilst you weren't to blame, as your insurer paid out without recovery; it's a fault claim.

Same as storm damage, if there is no-one to recover against it goes against you.
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I imagine it's because the car in front, wasn't the party that let loose this unknown object which then hit you. So your insurance company can't go after them, just because it flew up after they drove over it.

For the insurance company to be able to claim, it would've had to of been the van/truck in front with an unsecure load - which then hit you. The insurance company could then try argue this was due to an unsecure load and claim from this third party.

In the insurance world this is a 'fault claim' unfortunately. Which basically means your insurance company have no one to go after and recover their losses paying for your car to be repaired.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    it is classed at fault until the insurers can claim all costs from a third party? now that you have declared it, you will need to declare it for all future insurance quotes for the next 5 years at least.

Of course in your eyes it is a non fault claim, but a line has to be drawn from an insurance point of view. !!!! happens, move on

Perhaps would have been cheaper to repair it yourself and just declare the accident.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    @lostinheaven - did you ring the police after to report a robbery?

I would if I was being asked to pay £1600 for a new tyre & alloy - are you having a laugh?!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I'm not arguing with the definitions and their meanings, but I do wonder why insurance companies don't change their wording in order to improve their public estimation.
    The general public has a pretty poor regard to the honesty of insurance companies, and this misuse of the ordinary usage of the word "fault" is one that particularly rankles.
    Why don't insurance companies care what the public thinks of them? All other organisations go to great pains to try to simply their technical language and to allay public mistrust.
  • dactel
    dactel Posts: 10 Forumite
    Thanks everyone for the feedback here. Although I am willing to 'move-on' can't help but think I (along with thousands of others) are the victim of a scam.

I am looking at renewal with another company. One of the questions asks about this claim, "Was the driver at fault"? A 'Yes' or a 'No' makes a £130 difference to my premium. I am entitled to the normal everday interpretation of the word 'fault' surely. Would appreciate comments on this.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    If you lie on an insurance application in order to reduce the premium you leave yourself open to having the policy voided.

Bad news to have a cancellation like this on your record!

Especially if they cancel at the time of a claim ( which would be rejected). Were a successful claim be made against you they would deal with it then turn their sights on you to reimburse them
  • dactel
    dactel Posts: 10 Forumite
    Quentin wrote: »
    If you lie on an insurance application in order to reduce the premium you leave yourself open to having the policy voided.

But it's NOT A LIE
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    dactel wrote: »
    But it's NOT A LIE

It will be if you refer to this as a no fault claim!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure