My 'friend' cancelled my holiday

Wanderingpomm
Wanderingpomm Posts: 524 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 7 September 2017 at 4:28PM in Praise, vent & warnings
A friend of mine is getting married soon and 3 of us decided to take her away on a mini hen holiday.
We had agreed to do a ferry trip to St Malo Jersey but one of the girls found a holiday in Faro. It was £1100 and she said she would cover the bride if the other 2 of us chipped in £200 each because That was the price limit we had agreed.
After it was booked she asked for more money but I've just moved house and simply didn't have it.

Fast forward to 2 days ago and there was a bit of an argument about the costs of parking. I had offered to drive and was shocked at £80 for 4 days parking. The girl who booked the holiday told me just to be grateful she had paid all the extra and £80 for parking was reasonable.

The next morning at 4am I pick up the bride and am surprised the other 2 have taken a taxi. I drive to the airport to be told my ticket has been cancellled and I am no longer welcome. My question is how do I get the money back?

It cost £200 plus £80 for parking plus £78 for an Airbnb cancellation fee as I had let my flat for the weekend. If she won't refund can I take her to small claims?

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Sounds like you annoyed your friend by constantly complaining and so your friend decided she no longer wanted to subsidize you.

Have you asked for the money? She won't give you the £78 airbnb fee and probably not the parking fee but she should refund you the £200
  • I didn't constantly complain, I just said that I thought £80 for airport parking was a lot. And she has said she'll give me the £200 back, the question is what can I do if she doesn't
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    £1100 divided between 4 is £275, so you had already been subsidised by £75 and assuming 3 would pay for the parking still approx. £75-£27=£48 or just £5 down if you had to pay, but you would have had the flat rental money, too.

The friend may have thought you didn't appreciate the gesture of her paying for the bride as well as some of the cost for the other two of you.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Had you actually looked into the cost of the original Holliday you wanted? £200 each for travel and accommodation in peak holiday season was always going to be a pretty unrealistic budget.

Was it airport parking at £80, just because you say you didn't know about it being cancelled until you were at the airport, surely you could have found a cheaper place?

Although I'm curious to know how the bride reacted when she found out that the other "friend" had cancelled your place, especially when you went to the trouble of picking her up and taking her to the airport at 4am.
  • There were only 2 car parks with space in them, 1 15 mins away at £65 and this one at £80 close to the airport.

The trip didn't have to be this weekend, we had a couple of other options in September but the girl booking decided on this one. The alternative option of going to jersey was a ferry st £50/person plus accomadation so would have come in at less than the budget.

And I'm not sure what the bride said. I left quite quickly as didn't want to make a scene in the airport and spoil for the others.
  • Ivrytwr3
    Ivrytwr3 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    You let your flat, packed for a holiday, picked someone up, drove to an airport, paid £80 parking fee, told you were not welcome and then you:
    I left quite quickly as didn't want to make a scene in the airport and spoil for the others.

There is much more to the story than what you have told us.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I take it the 'friend' is now an ex-friend?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 August 2017 at 9:14PM
    You should have met to thrash out the rules and had lots of conversations about it.

What you mean is, before you offered to drive, you didn't bother to check what the additional costs would be?
    As you were driving I suggest you hoped the others would share the cost with you, but for whatever reason they didn't .
    Sometimes it is easier to share a taxi
    Actually they sound horrible people. You probably had a lucky escape.
  • Ivrytwr3 wrote: »
    You let your flat, packed for a holiday, picked someone up, drove to an airport, paid £80 parking fee, told you were not welcome and then you:

There is much more to the story than what you have told us.

Yes, the organiser drinks too much and there were some abusive messages at 2:31 about how I was obnoxious and that all the brides friends hated me. They were a joy when I picked them up at the airport. Shame I can't post screen dumps.
    I can't imagine anyone would have kicked off at the airport, it would have achieved nothing apart from upsetting the bride who is one of my oldest friends.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I can't imagine anyone would have kicked off at the airport, it would have achieved nothing apart from upsetting the bride who is one of my oldest friends.

And she let you be dumped from the holiday?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure