And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage

Comments

• Wow. That is all brilliant.
    Well done PP. I especially like the fact you say you don't feel like you've gone without in order to achieve such a massive overpayment. Going to re read your diary to find out how you manage to do your grocery shopping for less than £150 though.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Another lovely, sunny day. I could get used to this:)

Today I have been mainly lazy:o

Ive read, watched a film, had a very long bubble bath and talked on the phone. Its been lovely:)

Prior to this I did manage

A run
    A walk/ blackberry picking
    Finished work admin from July:o
    Took back yogurt bought yesterday which was off
    Daily cleaning routine but no organising task - must try harder
    Nsd
    Drank 2_litres of water
    Healthy eating (overnight oats and ys raspberries for breakfast, pearl barley, Bulger wheat and beetroot salad with goat's cheese for lunch and tomato and Basil pasta with salad for dinner)

Whilst lounging around I pondered September's goals which will be;

£800 net into pension avc
    £400 into mortgage os fund
    Stick to grocery, fuel and personal spends budgets
    Lose 3_lbs (lost 3lbs in August against a goal of 4lbs)
    3 cardio, 1 yoga and 2 strength activities a week
    2 Litres of water a day
    Keep a nsd diary
    Get 8 hours sleep a night

Off to bed to read. Lights out at 10 pm :D

PP x
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • pinkypig
    Wow. That is all brilliant.
    Well done PP. I especially like the fact you say you don't feel like you've gone without in order to achieve such a massive overpayment. Going to re read your diary to find out how you manage to do your grocery shopping for less than £150 though.

Hiya Wish :wave:

I am absolutely delighted. Its it bit daunting doing this on your own but I'm starting to believe I can:)

It has taken the changing of habits over a long period of time that has got my grocery spend down. The OS board is an invaluable source of info and ideas and the GC is brilliant.

My top tips (for what they're worth:rotfl:) are;
    Meal plan using what you've got in
    Shop with a list and try and avoid top up shops
    Batch cook
    Waste nothing. Leftovers are lunch or freezer ready meals
    Shop at Aldi or similar
    Do a ys run once a week
    Two meat free days (I often do more as we've found we rather !ike veggie food :)).

Hope this helps. My grocery bills a few years ago were in excess of £100 a week and there were too many takeaways so I was poorer and fatter :eek:

PP x
  • pinkypig
    Just a quick post tonight as I'm one weary piggy.

Registered with Shopium and got free cornettos (one very happy ds!) and low sugar granola. Thanks Museumworker :money:
    Went to spin class
    Made lemon cake for lunch boxes (plus two for the freezer)and used up some lemon curd from the freezer. Using my newly cleaned oven was lovely :)
    Daily cleaning routine and organisation task (airing cupboard)
    Drank 2.5 litres of water (which I think I lost in sweat during spin class:eek:)
    Healthy eating (overnight oats and blackberries for breakfast, hm low fat hummus and veggies for lunch, cheats spag carbonara for dinner)
    Would have been a nsd but I needed petrol

Off to beddie byes, I can feel my eyes going!

PP x
  • You will be through this organisation process in no time. I sat on my bottom on the sofa all night tonight pretending I was doing useful stuff! I wasn't really.
  • Looks like you're doing brilliantly! I want to try and knock our monthly grocery spend back down to £100, particularly as we are trying to run down the kitchen before it's redone, but we don't have piglets which I imagine makes things harder.

Will check out shopium, thanks for the tip. No cornettos for me (highly allergic) or granola for that matter, but OH will devour them happily. And will probably eat the granola if I stick it in flapjacks or something.
  • pinkypig
    You will be through this organisation process in no time. I sat on my bottom on the sofa all night tonight pretending I was doing useful stuff! I wasn't really.

Thanks wish but it will all grind to a halt when I go back to work. I'll be sat in my disorganised, filthy house surrounded by unmarked books and pizza boxes :rotfl:
  • pinkypig
    michelle09 wrote: »
    Looks like you're doing brilliantly! I want to try and knock our monthly grocery spend back down to £100, particularly as we are trying to run down the kitchen before it's redone, but we don't have piglets which I imagine makes things harder.

Will check out shopium, thanks for the tip. No cornettos for me (highly allergic) or granola for that matter, but OH will devour them happily. And will probably eat the granola if I stick it in flapjacks or something.
    Hiya Michelle, thank you so much for stopping by.

I'm so pleased to get a good start but I just hope I can keep it up.

Piglets do eat a lot but don't actually cost a lot as they eat pretty much anything. I'm also a miserable mummy that doesn't buy convenience snacks - they've got their own pennies if they are get the urge for junk :). It taken years of tweaking habits to get to where we currently are. I find if I try and do too much too soon I fall on my a**e quite quickly:o
    The best of luck with your £100 target - I bet you'll achieve it:)
    Have you ever done the Grocery Challenge on the OS board? I found that really helpful.
  • pinkypig
    I've had a dad day today which leaves no time for anything else!

Basically;
    No exercise
    Too much coffee not enough water
    No cleaning
    Freezer dive for tea (veggie chilli so at least it was healthy).
    Almost a nsd - just £1.50 on an ice cream for my dear, old dad :)

The evening was spent as a piglet taxi service interspersed with Masterchef on iPlayer.

No real money news except £4.49 from Shopium and £5.25 from TCB is on its way :j. Also managed a 45p Tilly Tidy.

Just as well its a marathon and not a sprint:o

PP x
  • pinkypig wrote: »
    Thanks wish but it will all grind to a halt when I go back to work. I'll be sat in my disorganised, filthy house surrounded by unmarked books and pizza boxes :rotfl:

Urghhhhhh marking books. I do not miss that! How ridiculous is your marking policy?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure