I've quit everything. Now what ?

Comments

• I fancy a coffee, but don't want to miss them .

I suppose it would be wrong of me to suggest a flask? I think I live very differently to you lol :rotfl:
    Debt Free 🍾 since 6.8.13 £31,997
    Saving for🎄Xmas ☃️ 🎁 2024 £104/£365 28.6%
    6 mth 🆘 fund £6k
    Mortgage offset fund £5.2k/£63.1k
    It turns out the answer to my problems wasn’t at the bottom of this tub of ice-cream, 🍨 but the important thing is that I tried...
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 22 May 2017 at 10:36AM
    Hello.....

Back from my hols. Had a great time, although a few mishaps. Wrenched my knee, don't ask. :rotfl: still hobbling a Bit.

There was a flood in the corridor which seeped to my cabin.....no problem, they sorted it pretty quickly and gave me a bottle of bubbly to say sorry.

Lost a filling the first day so had to cancel the Berlin trip to find a nice German dentist. Alls well that ends well. Better than being stuck in the middle of the Baltic with raging toothache.

Still all in all had a good time, weather was a bit mixed but I expected that.

Need to play catch up now with washing, gardening, etc. Ds2 has painted my bedroom - looks fab. Needs a few nice accessories to finish it off. I can probably "shop" from my stash of art, textiles and bits and bobs.

AC sounds like you are making good progress, although I am very concerned about your spending. Those shutters :eek: i still think you have spent far more than is necessary but hey it's your life,your money.

I know you probably think I'm Maybe a tad too frugal but one thing I never skimp on is tips. If I have received good service then I will tip the individuals involved, as well as writing a short note to the company that employs them, when appropriate.

Cruise lines generally charge a gratuity as part of the package, usually £5 a day. It is voluntary, you can elect not to pay it. I was shocked by how many passengers refused to pay it. I was also shocked at how badly some passengers treat the staff.......like personal slaves.

The staff work long and hard, away from their families for months at a time. Passengers are treated like royalty, nothing is too much trouble.

In addition I also tipped my waiters who looked after me and who indulged my every whim with grace and humour, and my cabin staff who pampered and cossetted me and who served me breakfast in bed with a cheery smile.

I detest meaness and I loathe the kind of people who treat waiters, taxi drivers, cleaners and tradespeople etc as minions and who bark orders and then do nothing but complain and grumble.

There is no need for such shameful behaviour. It doesn't make the perpetrator look big or clever - they merely show themselves up for the ghastly people they are.

Glorious day here. Going to have a nice potter in the garden later.

Hope the carpet fitting goes well.
  • another_casualty
    another_casualty Posts: 6,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 May 2017 at 10:51AM
    Hi harz/ LL:)
    No sign of carpet fitters . I will call, and if they are dragging their heels , it means I can go out for a coffee .
    Glad you had a nice break LL .
    We are very similar to each other regarding tips / treatment of people etc .
    What's wrong with laid back and mellow? ;)

Carpetftters no. Is engaged. It is monday
  • IA slight error has been made . On the system, all my details were correct.
    However, when my phone no was entered manually , the last digit was wrong. This means that someone else has missed phone calls and messages .
    Similar thing happened to me last week. I received a text telling me about a delivery coming to me. It was for somebody else and I received text by mistake
  • anna_1977
    anna_1977 Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    what a pain but these things happen - any update on when they are coming then?
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    AC. That's a nuisance.

Just had a statement from my fathers solicitor. It's wrong..........

Cue more phone calls, emails. Etc

I wouldn't mind but his fee is £3k - not cheap - and he still made an "oversight". :rotfl:

moral of the story is.......if you want a job doing - do it yourself. :D
  • Yes , very much the case ll :)
    He's arrived . Long story . Update later :)
  • another_casualty
    Okay, a long and sluggish day .
    The fitter arrived . He's in his midv'60s . His assistant let him down.
    Also, he had to make a dash home to urgently see his wife who
    has dementia .
    So, he gets here around 11.30 . I had no facilities to offer him anything . I did offer to get him something while I was out getting that long and badly needed coffee.

He finishec at 4.45 . He did a great job all,on his own .
    The carpet in question , is a kind of grey .
    The Lino in the kitchen ..very luminous lime. Even I wasn't sure at first . Definitely a talking point ! More people will loathe it than like it :)

Yes , I did tip him :)
  • another_casualty
    Looking at the photos I have taken, the carpet looks more like hot chocolate . Nice :)
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Okay, a long and sluggish day .
    The fitter arrived . He's in his midv'60s . His assistant let him down.
    Also, he had to make a dash home to urgently see his wife who
    has dementia .
    So, he gets here around 11.30 . I had no facilities to offer him anything . I did offer to get him something while I was out getting that long and badly needed coffee.

He finishec at 4.45 . He did a great job all,on his own .
    The carpet in question , is a kind of grey .
    The Lino in the kitchen ..very luminous lime. Even I wasn't sure at first . Definitely a talking point ! More people will loathe it than like it :)

Yes , I did tip him :)

Are these colours your choice, or did you leave it up to the fitter? Even so, it doesn't matter if other people like it or not - your opinion is the only one that matters.

I'm sort of with you and LL (welcome back by the way) on tipping. I would probably have tipped the delivery guys as they waited for you to turn up, but not sure about tipping tradespeople. I assume they have charged a fair price (to both sides) in the first place but I do tend to offer plenty of tea/coffee/biscuits (you probably should have bought a cheap kettle and a couple of mugs). Again - as long as you are happy then it's nobody elses's business.
    Only a few more days now. If it were me I would be sleeping there as soon as possible and getting my stuff arranged but then I'm a bit more excitable than you I think. I can't wait and it's not even my place. By the way - we expect to see the photos (well, I do anyway).
    Right, political interview is on tv so I had better go and see what they are promising me today.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure