Royal Mail lost my tax-return, I've now got a bill for £820 + £XX every day.

2»

Comments

• RockandGrohl
    RockandGrohl Posts: 78
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    The £820 does not relate to the 2 X £100 charge. It relates to the tax you have to pay which is presumably long overdue. Self assessment tax is payable in Jan/Jul ....

Are you absolutely sure? It is a £0 tax return so there should be no payable tax?
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Are you absolutely sure? It is a £0 tax return so there should be no payable tax?

You're right - I was mistaken earlier (as is the other poster, I think).

There's an earlier deadline for postal returns, so you will be in the charge per day period, and that's where the £820 will come from ( 2x£100 plus daily fees).

I'd ring HMRC and see what's going on. Early in the morning is the best time to get them, or just before they're closing. Any time in the middle of the day and you can be on hold for a long time.
  • RockandGrohl
    RockandGrohl Posts: 78
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 22 May 2016 at 10:17PM
    SuperHan wrote: »
    You're right - I was mistaken earlier (as is the other poster, I think).

There's an earlier deadline for postal returns, so you will be in the charge per day period, and that's where the £820 will come from ( 2x£100 plus daily fees).

I'd ring HMRC and see what's going on. Early in the morning is the best time to get them, or just before they're closing. Any time in the middle of the day and you can be on hold for a long time.

Hi, yes if I go to the HMRC website, it just shows a bill of £820, but there's a really well hidden link to a separate HMRC site that shows it being the daily penalty for the Partnership Tax Return being filed late.

So here's the lowdown.

Got 2 notices at the same time, one for SA and one for Partnership, both £100 for late filing of tax return.

I send my explanation for BOTH returns in one envelope to the address given, which is what I was instructed by the HMRC office when I rang them (help with my tax return) This was will before the deadline for accruing additional charges.

They then cancelled the 2X £100 debt. But the £820 still remains.

The £820 is a charge that is only in place should the £100 penalty not be paid.

The £100 does not have to be paid. It has been cancelled. Shouldn't the £820 be cancelled also? Both tax returns were sent in at the same time.

"3 months late – a daily penalty of £10 a day for 82 days. This is for the period from 01 February 2016 (3 months after the paper tax return deadline) to 22 April 2016 (the date we received the Partnership Tax return)."

This is absolute !!!!!!!!, I sent the Tax return in FEBRUARY 2016, how could it only have got there in freaking APRIL?!

Because of this I'm now nearly a thousand pounds in the hole??? WOW.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,034
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    As has been said, paper returns have to be completed and sent by 31st October , so by spring this year you were already into your daily penalty.

A nil tax return is still a tax return for which penalties can be incurred, even if tax is not payable. A tax return is a tax return and even if it shows no income needs to be completed within the HMRC timeframe.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • moremore
    moremore Posts: 518 Forumite
    custardy wrote: »
    RM wont be compensating you for anything bar the loss of the letter.
    For this type of thing (as posted) a certificate of posting does the job.
    Or pay for Special Delivery. It not so much the cost of the service,but the potential fall out costs.
    Is there a postal address for HMRC? I cannot log in on my computer as it keep timing out, broadband not good, and HMRC website does recognise my personal tax reference. I need to reply to for last late assessment and want to do this by letter.
    I phoned them 3 days ago and got email back saying the will respond within 2 days but it has gone over that time now. I feel best option is to post it to them. I am not sure what postal address to put on letter for them to get it.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    moremore wrote: »
    Is there a postal address for HMRC? I cannot log in on my computer as it keep timing out, broadband not good, and HMRC website does recognise my personal tax reference. I need to reply to for last late assessment and want to do this by letter.
    I phoned them 3 days ago and got email back saying the will respond within 2 days but it has gone over that time now. I feel best option is to post it to them. I am not sure what postal address to put on letter for them to get it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/income-tax-enquiries-for-individuals-pensioners-and-employees
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    @ OP.....
    I would seriously consider getting yourself an accountant.
    This would have been sorted weeks ago !!
    HTH
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,014
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    This would have been sorted weeks ago !!
    It probably was, the 10 month old thread got resurrected for no good reason.
  • mt99
    mt99 Posts: 472 Forumite
    I am sure you have seen this:

http://taxaid.org.uk/guides/taxpayers/tax-returns/late-tax-returns

Penalties for late filing

1. You will be charged a penalty, even if you do not owe any tax.
    2. If you miss the filing dates of 31 October following the end of the tax year (for paper returns) or 31 January next following (for on-line submission), you will be charged a penalty of £100, and this will not be refunded, even if no tax is owing. Eg. tax returns for the year to 5 April 2016, should be filed on paper by 31 October 2016, or on-line by 31 January 2017
    3. If you are three months late, you will be charged a daily penalty of £10 per day, up to a maximum of £900
    4. If you are six months late there will be a penalty of £300 (or 5% of the tax owing if this is greater)
    5. If you are 12 months late, you will be charged another £300 (or 5% of the tax owing if this is greater). In exceptional circumstances a higher penalty of up to 100% of the tax due is possible
    If you are in a business partnership the penalties apply both to the late submission of the partnership return and to the individual partner’s returns.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,643
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    mt99 wrote: »
    I am sure you have seen this:

http://taxaid.org.uk/guides/taxpayers/tax-returns/late-tax-returns

Penalties for late filing......

Too late for any new advice re late filing - the thread is a year old.
    Resurrected by someone who wants a postal address for HMRC.
    There's no point in adding any more now.
    Whoops, I just did...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport