Get a rebate on your sewerage rates charges

Comments

• Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    Lady_K wrote:
    Crabman I'm with Severn Trent too so please let me know how you get on with them. I looked on thier site to get a form just in case but couldnt find one

Well at the moment I'm nowhere because they insist that "where there's a drain, there's a sewer" :mad:

In theory all I need do is sketch the plan but my stumbling point is, where is the soakaway?! :wall:
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Lady_K wrote:
    Does it make any difference if the guttering pipes dont go into the ground but into a little grate?

That would indicate a soakaway as otherwise you would have an open sewer, with all the smells etc.
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanx I wonder if severn trent will accept that though, all of them are like that. There are 4 pipes to open grates the only closed one is the thick one from the loos.

Where would the water go from my sink and bath etc coz thats open too.

I'll ring them on monday anyway for a form and see what comes of it
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • Lady_K
    Forumite
    pom wrote:
    Apparently, I can produce my own sketch so long as the property is worth less than £1000. Righty ho....

Does anyone have any ideas? I can't beleive that I have to pay for a service I'm not using unless I pay someone to prove I'm not using it :eek:

Pom
    This is rateable value not actual value and its highly unlikely unless your a millionaire that you'd have a rateable value of more than £1000. They actually mean the rateable value in 1990, with severn trent anyway.

http://www.stwater.co.uk/upload/pdf/surface_water_drainage_05_to_06.pdf

What I'm amazed about is how can say that they don't have to refund you the previous years overcharges. They refund bach to the April in the year you apply for the reduction. I'm sure if it was the other way around they would make us pay the money we owed them even if it was thier fault from years back. They do not make it easy for people to realise that they may be paying for a service they don't use so I think they should backdate refunds to when the person moved into the property.

I told the man on the phone that all my guttering pipes went into open grates and he agreed that this means they would not be going into a sewer. On the example plan in the link it does not show any soakaways, maybe you don't really have to know exactly then. I'm going to try anyway. I don't even know where the sewer is really just the what seems to be an inspection area.

My house slopes slightly towards the road although its some feet away maybe 12-14 ft so not sure if they will say mine doesnt count
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • pom_2
    pom_2 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Lady_K wrote:
    Pom
    This is rateable value not actual value and its highly unlikely unless your a millionaire that you'd have a rateable value of more than £1000. They actually mean the rateable value in 1990, with severn trent anyway.

http://www.stwater.co.uk/upload/pdf/surface_water_drainage_05_to_06.pdf
    Oh I see! :o

Doesn't take much to confuse me does it!
  • Hizz
    Hizz Posts: 1,537 Forumite
    As we have a soakaway from our new build house, I have spoken to Yorkshire Water about surface water costs within their sewerage charges, and we will receive the quarterley payment from the start of this financial year, and won't be charged in the future. they can only backdate from the start of the current financial year (even though we have only lived in house since March 2005 - paid 4 quarters for nothing!).

If ou hav a soakaway, notify your provider asap.
    One hundred years from now it won't matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little better because, I was important in the life of a child.
  • We soon realised we had soakaways and only by chance discovered we could get a small reduction...£5.00 a year here....We live on a side of Hill property..front being very downwards and have underground springs that show themselves on our front drive and last of the steps leading to front gate then Lane. We had no drains in the Lane until last summer when a new road was constructed as part of a sweetner 'to the powers that be' from a property developer getting his planning passed. So it would seem reading this thread that we maybe now are not entitled to our £5.00 reduction....likewise our neigbours....
  • Has anyone tried this with northumbrian water yet?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Lady_K wrote:
    Pom

What surprises me is that it is doesn't matter what the RV of your house is with Severn Trent as you pay for surface water drainage(when metered) depending on the type of property.e.g. £23.88/£47.88/£71.76 depending on Tce or flat/semi det/detached.

So a modest 2 bed detached property on a small plot would pay the same as a mansion in several acres.
  • Lady_K
    Forumite
    I have been looking at my property and although I have all the guttering pipes open grated there is a garage with corrugated apex roof that actually has no gutterings at all, it just goes into the surrounding soil. It is build on concrete though. That garage is a meter behind the manhole to the sewer thingy. To the side of that theres a little brick built shed which has a slate roof and gutter. The downpipe for that does go into the ground sealed in concerete but it is directly over the path of the sewer tunnel (found it on a plan). If I have problems with this I'm going to saw off the bottom of the pipe at the floor level fill that in with conrete (carefully block it first so it doesnt fall in) and then guide a new gutter down pipe accross to the side of the garage where that water goes beyond the sewer tunnel.

I think if you really want to try and avoid charges and the water butt idea does not count just change the guttering to go onto a part of the flower bed or something and seal the hole up. It's ckearly not going into the sewer that way
    Thanx

Lady_K
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family