Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free!

Options

Comments

• Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 February 2018 at 5:53AM
    Options
    Forgot to mention- pancake day didnt happen for us- long old day at work on Tuesday and a braces appointment meant I left at 5.30am and got home at 8pm so was pretty wiped out.

Will make some scrummy pancakes on Sunday fingers crossed!

Valentines Day was also a long work day- both in the office for 7.20am and left at 7.30pm (!!!) so we were indecisive about dinner- ended up wandering around local m&s debating a naughty dominos pizza but in the end decided to buy a posh pizza, some loaded spicy fries and apple tarts for desserts. With a nice 50p YS whole meal loaf we ended up spending £9 but had a very decadent supper together.

Also had a splurge at Sainsburys with their 25% off clothes- I got another pair of matching pants to the bra bought on sale a few weeks back (reduced to £2.5 with a further 25% off!), a red rain mac to try on (my old one is 3/4 sleeves which is no good really- will eBay it as it was a next sale buy but its lasted a good 5 years with a fair few wears). Hopefully I can wear this new one in spring showers though as it has long sleeves :D a white knitted top to wear for work meetings with my suit and a floral tee. Need to try it all on and assess whether to keep or return. £44 all in isnt too bad though.

Cant sleep at the moment- Hugo unceremoniously woke me by sitting on my chest at 3am. hoping some light reading will get me dozing back off....fingers crossed!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 16 February 2018 at 5:52AM
    Options
    Thought Id capture the details in one post for ease up to 28/2/18 (not including any small Tilly tidies we may pay in rest of month)

Initial mortgage deal: £170,995 30/9/16
    House value £189,995 LTV 90%

25 years Clydesdale mortgage with initial rate 2.99% for 17 months
    Monthly payments £810.80
    Monthly interest: started at £14.42/day. At £13.26/day 02/18

Total payments: £13,654
    Total interest paid: £6685
    Total overpayments: £3525

Total capital repaid: £10,488
    House value: £202,000
    Mortgage at 28/2/18: £160,508 LTV: 79.5%

New mortgage deal- 3 year fixed rate 1.64% (!!!!). :D :money: :j
    Monthly payment:£690.91
    Monthly interest (estimated): £7.54/ day

:heartpuls:heartpuls:heartpuls:heartpuls:heartpuls:heartpuls:heartpuls:heartpuls:heartpuls:

Overpayment plans for remainder of 2018- just plans at the minute as not sure what other expenses will crop up but I like to have a forecast to play with as the year progresses

My regular saver matures in April so have earmarked a portion to OP (some Will be going into normal savings, some to LISA and rest on mortgage) but will split it over a few months as Clydesdale charge ERCs on lump sum; but wont tell me what this means in £££!

March- £89.80 if mortgage deal doesnt switch over immediately- round up monthly £810 payment to £900

April- £309.09 to round monthly payment to £1k.
    Also £250 from my yearly bonus.
    £200 from my regular saver

May- £309.09, £200 from regular saver
    June- £309.09, £150 from regular saver
    July- £309.09
    August- £109.09- Australia trip in September so will make nominal OP
    Sept- no OP as travelling Australia! :D
    Oct- £109.09 as recovering from Oz trip!
    Nov- £309.09
    Dec- £309.09 (subject to change dependent on Chrimbo)

Grand plans at the minute :)
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • michelle09
    Options
    Aww... maybe you could move pancake day to today? Every year I say I'm going to do pancakes more often and it doesn't happen.

You have some grand plans. Hope they go smoothly!
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Great ops KK well done :T
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 19 February 2018 at 6:22AM
    Options
    Thanks for dropping in and commenting Michelle & New girly!

I just wrote a huge old post to then go & lose it- maybe I should be more succinct

Weekend round-up:
    - 2 tough gym sessions including a hiit treadmill session & a good old weights session targeting my arms/chest & back
    - 2 hot yoga sessions: both had a wonderful impact on my mood
    - a close friends 40th birthday party- we spent the day helping set up which was lovely to be involved
    - an indulgent meal out at a Rhode Island inspired burger restaurant with friends.

Still no pancakes yet though! ;)

Helping brother clean went well- spent a good 5.5 hours cleaning and chattering. He still has loads to do as is quite a hoarder and he hasnt cleaned in honesty in a long long time. However it was well timed as his gf was finally discharged on Friday :) they both seem in a better place at the moment but its going to take some time really for them to be on an even keel again I think.

Plans for today- swimming at 9am: we are both not too sure if we can swim or at least swim well so we are going when it is quiet to find out! We wanted plenty of time before Australia so we can take lessons if required. I also want us to try kayaking at a local centre and think feeling more confident with swimming will help the kayaking experience go smoother!

Then off to town to renew both out passports (how much?!?) then going to have a nice lunch at Zizzis using our vouchers!

Then its gym & yoga again tonight.

89p OP Tilly tidy on Saturday completed. Free postcode lottery checked and size wheel completed. Need to spend some time on prolific and matched betting at some point to generate some funds. Off to check YouGov now actually!
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 20 February 2018 at 10:46AM
    Options
    Today has pretty much gone to plan and had a lovely chilled day- we found out I can swim, a bit, but not very confident and gf cant really swim so will need lessons. The pool we went to (20 mins walk from home) has 55 people on the adult waiting list for swimming lessons, and the only adult classes they do are midweek daytime....doesnt work with working full time mon-fri 8-5 really!

We went to town, took passport pics and sent them off using post office service so £172 down including picture costs. Then onto Zizzis to use our vouchers- we shared a delicious skinny pizza and mushroom tortellini. Yum!

Then used our John Lewis free coffee and cake vouchers for a frothy coffee and shared a cake. Had the other one to take away to give to gfs parents as they like a nice cake :)

We then dropped off a friends birthday present and called in at the swimming pool near there- they do a beginners lesson on a Friday evening after 6pm so she is signing up for that. I have said I will go too but will just swim in the pool and practice- thinking if I keep practicing lengths I should get my swim fitness up hopefully :)

IVe had quite a bit of pain this afternoon my calves- not sure if its from yesterdays elliptical training as I did it on a steep incline for half hour or if its from swimming however Ive cancelled my gym/yoga plans tonight to let them rest. I tore my calf muscle about five years back and was on crutches so I am a bit nervy about any twinges in my calves....tempted to go and have a bath (which NEVER happens :D )

All in all a good day with a few things ticked off the Australian prep list- passports in progress, 1st swim sorted, photos for international driving license sorted (cant order until July/August time), John Lewis cake and coffee freebies used up before they expired again and had a good day just spending time with the gf! :heartpuls
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 20 February 2018 at 11:09AM
    Options
    Morning folks!
    Got up late this morning as the last of my day off- back to the office tomorrow. Boo hiss.

However I did have that lovely bath last night using an ancient bathbomb (from lush- possibly 4 years old?) as I have major DOMs in my calf muscles- struggling to walk again today so no gym/yoga. I will make sure I have a good walk and do lots of stretches prior to silver class this night.

I felt quite frugal yesterday- Ive been on a mission to use up all the old foundations Ive had hanging around. I only use no7 as found that one good for my skin when younger but had around 6 half empty bottles about three years ago. Considering I only wear make up to go out out that was a lot. Ive got down to scraping the last bits out of the tub and yesterday it was nice and quiet in town so I could browse in boots in peace. I did the boots colour match and selected a nice new foundation with light coverage but spf 15 and they had the offer to get a free set if you bought two items.
    As I have lost my favourite Dior sheer pink lippie I selected a nice pink lip crayon and then the lady advised the gift set included a voucher for a free lipstick too- so I got a lovely pinky hue for that too.
    I spent £24 and got the foundation, lip crayon, lipstick, a small eyeshadow (in a colour I wear), a foundation sponge thingy and a cheek highlighter.

IVe thrown out the old foundation and had a little tidy of my makeup and got rid of some old stuff hanging around. With makeup I find it hard to throw it out as I think it has cost a fair bit of £££ but IVe decided to stop being silly. If it is a)too old or b)not ever worn its been put into a pile to get rid of!

Today is a bit of a lazy morning with a cuppa and some australia travel brochures to really start forming up budgets etc! YAY!
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    In Mortgage news- received an email from Clydesdale querying when want new rate to apply from. Replied yesterday confirming ASAP and have called today to make sure they got the email.

The gent has advised that it should apply from 1st March- so the interest rate will drop from then. Feels like such a great reduction in interest. Annoyingly the arrangement fee is £499 so that wipes out the first months savings but in the long run we will be much better off.

:D so chuffed that it will really start coming down now- its giving me more motivation to hammer down the mortgage as soon as we can!
  • penny*pincher_2
    Options
    Hi KK!

I hope you are keeping well. Dropping in to catch up.... lots to read since September! I just read your past week and see you have a wonderful Australia trip to look forward to this year - I cannot wait to hear about those adventures!

Well done on the new mortgage deal and great to see how your overpayments are going, brilliant!

Lets hope for some low spend days for both of us for the next few months :money:

P*P
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,925 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We had a mortgage with Clydesdale for a while. The service was fantastic whenever had a question, wanted to overpay etc.
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback