Early Pension through injury

Options
2»

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Options
    missile wrote: »
    Your employer had an obligation to find suitable alternate employment. Unfortunately, because it seems you resigned(?) voluntarily, this option may no longer be available to you.

The employer was under no obligation to create a suitable job if one didn't already exist.

It may have been that if OP hadn't retired, he would have been 'dismissed on the grounds of ill health', which doesn't give immediate access to pension rights.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Are you , in fact, able to do alternative work, such as clerical, checkout, call centre, etc?

It doesn't matter whether you have done it before, or whether you would like it, just that you would be able to do it.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What were the conditions of your *voluntary* redundancy? I emphasize the word voluntary because although you indicate you had no choice, the term "voluntary" indicates you made a choice.

Usually, VS terms include you giving up any further recourse, such as applying for, or appealing, early retirement on the basis of ill health.

I recently took early retirement due to the health effects of a major road accident over 2 years ago. I had looked into the guidelines for formally applying for early retirement on health grounds and for various reasons decided against that. I know my VS terms included me stating that my employer had fulfilled all obligations and I would not seek further recourse. I took my VS benefits and simultaneously applied to take my DB retirement benefits (although these two things were essentially separate).
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • martinsurrey
    Options
    Sharpster wrote: »
    I would have happily done desk based work but our council was looking for people to leave not employ them
    Cheers

The fact that the council didn't have a desk job for you doesn't mean you can ill health retire.

You have just said why they were right in their decision.

Keep looking for a desk job, and good luck.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The employer was under no obligation to create a suitable job if one didn't already exist.

It may have been that if OP hadn't retired, he would have been 'dismissed on the grounds of ill health', which doesn't give immediate access to pension rights.

By law, your employer:
    Is not allowed to discriminate against you because you are disabled.
    Must keep your job open for you and can’t pressure you to resign because you’ve become disabled.
    Has to make reasonable adjustments to your place of work, the job you do, or the terms and conditions of your employment.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • martinsurrey
    Options
    missile wrote: »
    By law, your employer:
    Is not allowed to discriminate against you because you are disabled.
    Must keep your job open for you and can’t pressure you to resign because you’ve become disabled.
    Has to make reasonable adjustments to your place of work, the job you do, or the terms and conditions of your employment.

None of which means they must create a job for him, or that they cannot dismiss him on ill health grounds.
  • Silvertabby
    Options
    None of which means they must create a job for him, or that they cannot dismiss him on ill health grounds.

Martin is right. If a 50+ year old man is no longer able to participate in high impact sports it doesn't mean that he is 'disabled'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure