Smart Meters

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Ofgem would have a statutory obligation to amend Standard Licence Conditions to reflect all the changes that the Government makes to The Energy Act.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Hengus wrote: »
    Ofgem would have a statutory obligation to amend Standard Licence Conditions to reflect all the changes that the Government makes to The Energy Act.
    Hi

I agree, but that first requires the additional powers provided by clause 5 to be used ....
    This new clause would allow the Secretary of State by order to amend licence conditions so that energy suppliers are required to include the cost to the customer of the Smart Meter Programme in all customer energy bills for the period covered by the energy bill.
    ... but 'allow' suggests that the decision to amend the licence conditions is optional, therefore Ofgem don't necessarily get involved.

Having mentioned this, I see no reasons why the Government are actively seeking the new clause 5 powers if there's no intent to utilise them!

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There is no way this is actually going to be enacted for several years. No government is going to voluntarily walk into this after they have totally messed up already. Surely even the current government aren't stupid enough to walk headlong into this ****storm. I may go away and think about that last sentence.
  • Apologies if this has been raised, but I'm not sure where else to go. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this:
    A while ago I was with Flow. Changed to OVO as better deal came along. Hey presto they installed smart meters for gas and electricity. Loved my smart meters, didn't have to send readings and everything ticking along nicely. When my fix ended, OVO couldn't better new deal from my old company Flow, so I switched back.
    Now Flow have mucked up my readings- they aren't fitting smart meters yet, but have somehow merged my old account with my new one and have come up with a ludicrous charge for my electricity. I can't work out how to read my smart meter 'manually' and neither can any of the customer service people at Flow.
    What is the point of these meters if they are not compatible with a different supplier? It is once again a hassle and not worth switching with all the aggro you get with it- it seems we have gone backwards. Flow are not being very helpful with trying to rectify their mistake. Wish I had never left OVO...
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    If you Google "ovo how to read a smart meter" you will find the Web page that answers your question!
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 19 February 2018 at 12:56PM
    Press button 9 on the keypad. electric meter reading is on first screen, shown as Kw, watch out for the reading on Kvarh, screen 5 I think ,which is nonsense for UK domestic electric meters and should nt be on there. There are 8 digits but only read the first 7 up to the decimal point. The reading which counts is the first 5 , eg 0001453.8 , so electric read is 01453.
    Similar for gas meter reading, button 9. Do not use the In House Display for this reading because it only gives it in gas kwhs. You want it in cubic metres, or M3 showing on the smart meter, but of course the suppliers who have chosen this meter could nt give a damn about the end user
    Most times these meters scroll through pretty quickly so may have to give it a couple of scroll rounds if you miss the reading
  • Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    edited 15 February 2018 at 11:08PM
    Half of households don!!!8217;t want a smart meter

When asked: !!!8220;Would you get a smart meter?!!!8221; Of the 1,552 people who voted, 47% said they don!!!8217;t have a smart meter and don!!!8217;t want one.

https://www.moneywise.co.uk/news/2018-02-15/half-households-dont-want-smart-meter

Top four smart meter problems and how to solve them What to do if your smart meter turns dumb, or you struggle to get an energy meter reading

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/02/top-four-smart-meter-problems-and-how-to-solve-them/ - Which?
  • i was told by EDF today there are no smart meters for economy 7 so don't expect one soon
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
  • roachguard wrote: »
    i was told by EDF today there are no smart meters for economy 7 so don't expect one soon
    One wonders why the mainstream suppliers cannot enable smart Eco 7 when Secure Liberty meter suppliers users can do it ( Ovo ,Utilita etc ) and have been doing this for years.
    BG have proved they can do smart 2 rate weekend free tariff they have up and running for 2 years.
    Its completely baffling why they are hanging back
    . i have my own theories that they are afraid of the mayhem it will create from all the hundreds of thousands of Eco 7 meters who are receiving transposed billings from ancient old analogue timer switches and digital meters with clocks well out of time
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback