Great 'ways To Cut Back' Hunt

Comments

• Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Don't believe the packets when they tell you to use x quantity of product - trial and error till you get what's right for you - applies to shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, washing powder, dishwasher powder etc

If the oven is on, use it well. Cook multiple meals/cakes and freeze them.

Don't have the heating on and the windows open

Use electricity when it's at it's cheapest (night rate) (if on economy7)

Make sure your economy 7 is working properly!

If purchasing a want to have item - thing about it for a couple of days first.

Use a sponge/ buff puff in the shower, to reduce the amount of shower gel required.

Borrow rather then buy
  • Munki_2
    Munki_2 Posts: 168 Forumite
    Use your local library for internet access. Most (if not all by now) have free internet access. Free email is available through places like Google, Yahoo, Hotmail etc. They are all web accessible, so you can access it from any internet connection as the emails are stored on a server independent of the computer. Ideal for low use users and those who travel lots. Plus it's free.
    Nice to save.
  • When making tea or coffee, only fill the kettle with the amount of water required.
  • Munki_2
    If distance/time is a problem that prevents you from cycling to/from work, consider car sharing. Ask your workplace to set up a car sharing scheme where people who are interested can get involved. Alternatively if this is a problem, perhaps consider getting your CBT and buying a cheap moped/scooter. They are cheap to run, insure and tax and will save hundreds over owning a car.
    Nice to save.
  • Munki_2
    Never buy all your groceries in the same supermarket. You will almost certainly be overspending on certain items. Where possible buy your veg at your local market (or as Martin says, grow it yourself). Buy meats at your local butcher or farmers market. Try shopping late at night, midweek, at various supermarkets to gauge when they have more reduced items.
    Nice to save.
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Stop using credit cards for a while and spend cash. It is a lot harder to spend when you see your cash going over the counter rather than a piece of plastic.

Cut out snacks between meals, crisps/sweets/biscuits etc. You will save, be healthier and lose weight. Encourage kids to drink water instead of fizzy drinks, better for you and saves a fortune.

Check out your library for information on the local toy lending library. You can get toys on loan for two weeks at a time I think. Check out this link for information on the scheme -

http://www.natll.org.uk/

If you have several bank accounts etc, make sure that you are getting the most for your money by re-evaluating your accounts every so often.

For Scots, if you are considering doing any energy saving works on your home, are on certain benefits and/or are sixty or over you may be entitled to a grant of up to £500 towards the cost.

Check out this link for further details -

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/housing/leaflets/wdfs-00.asp

I have never been to one but there are auctions of goods recovered by police that take place all over the country. May be worth checking out for a bargain. Here is a link for one that takes place in Strathclyde, Scotland.

http://www.strathclyde.police.uk/index.asp?locID=789&docID=-1
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    !. Don't spend a fortune on barbers if all that's needed is a simple trim or short back and sides.
    Buy some clippers and sharp scissors and cut your own hair or your family/friends

2. Don't "rinse and repeat" when shampooing your hair. One application is enough.
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Shop at charity shops for your clothes. I have bought some designer clothes from them. They receive clothes that are slightly faulty from top name stores that they can't sell themselves, this also goes for kids clothes. Some things in charity shops are good quality stuff :) and it don't hurt your pocket :)
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I know it sounds silly but...

STOP SPENDING MONEY

Live off your fridge, freezer, and pantry. No shopping - no impulse buys.

Only good for the short term, but a good crash money diet.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    squeaky wrote:
    I know it sounds silly but...

STOP SPENDING MONEY

Live off your fridge, freezer, and pantry. No shopping - no impulse buys.

Only good for the short term, but a good crash money diet.

Thats ok if you know how to do a meal with what left overs you have left :rolleyes:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback