How big should my pension pot be ?

Options

Comments

• Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You think that won't happen in the next few years or so?

They've already added 7 years to womens' pension age - it's not a huge step to add another three to everyone.
    Well, that takes it to 70. I don't think we'll see a rise to 80 affecting even the youngest working generation at the moment.
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Aegis wrote: »
    Well, that takes it to 70. I don't think we'll see a rise to 80 affecting even the youngest working generation at the moment.

Oops. Braino - I misread it. :o
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • bendix
    bendix Posts: 5,499 Forumite
    Options
    marklv wrote: »
    I reckon the state pension will soon cease to exist as anything except a safety net for the poor. I believe Cameron is already planning to get rid of it.

Yet another reason to vote for the Tories. Encouraging people to look after themselves - a radical concept

By the way, I think you're wrong. Cameron isn't stupid. Such a move would be political suicide, irrespective of my own support of it.
  • marklv
    marklv Posts: 1,768 Forumite
    Options
    bendix wrote: »
    Yet another reason to vote for the Tories. Encouraging people to look after themselves - a radical concept

By the way, I think you're wrong. Cameron isn't stupid. Such a move would be political suicide, irrespective of my own support of it.

No, another reason not to vote Tory - not that Labour is any better, though. This approach does not encourage anything except to force people into poverty.

The best approach, which would save large amounts of money for the taxpayer, is to keep the retirement age at 65 (as only few people would want to work longer) but make the state pension relatively means tested (i.e. reduced gradually for those with private or employer pensions above a certain level). For example, someone with a private pension of £30k a year or more should not receive any state pension - this is a waste of resources and unnecessary. The state pension should be preserved for those with either no other provision or with only a modest private pensions, with the proviso that everyone should retire with a reasonable minimum pension. So, in summary, take the state pension away from the well off who don't need it.

As for Cameron, his IQ has yet to be fully tested and given that the Tories have committed political suicide before, they can certainly do it again.
  • Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For example, someone with a private pension of £30k a year or more should not receive any state pension
    I can see The Daily Mail headlines now....
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • marklv
    edited 28 August 2009 at 12:41PM
    Options
    Aegis wrote: »

I did not mean this to be taken literally - more of a rhetorical comment to point out the absurdity of continuously increasing the pension age.

As I said in my previous post, the best way to reduce government pension obligations is to ensure that the richest pensioners do not receive any state pension, free TV licences or heating payments - they don't need them! These measures alone would save billions. The basic state pension should be kept as a top-up or safety net for the poorest, and made payable at 65, as it is now, not later. Employers do not generally want to employ huge numbers of geriatrics, and most would quite happily get rid of all their over 60s if they could.
  • marklv
    Options
    I can see The Daily Mail headlines now....

And who cares about what the Daily Muck writes?
  • bendix
    bendix Posts: 5,499 Forumite
    Options
    I did not mean this to be taken literally - more of a rhetorical comment to point out the absurdity of continuously increasing the pension age.

As I said in my previous post, the best way to reduce government pension obligations is to ensure that the richest pensioners do not receive any state pension, free TV licences or heating payments - they don't need them! These measures alone would save billions. The basic state pension should be kept as a top-up or safety net for the poorest, and made payable at 65, as it is now, not later. Employers do not generally want to employ huge numbers of geriatrics, and most would quite happily get rid of all their over 60s if they could.

I can't argue with any of that. It's a basic moral principle that if people don't need benefits, they shouldn't receive them.

Sadly, modern Britain is all about "me, me me, it's my right so give it to MEEEEEEEE"

The idea of relatively well-off pensioners scurrying down to the post office to pick up their £250 heating allowance is nauseating.
  • barny_100
    barny_100 Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    bendix wrote: »
    I can't argue with any of that. It's a basic moral principle that if people don't need benefits, they shouldn't receive them.

Sadly, modern Britain is all about "me, me me, it's my right so give it to MEEEEEEEE"

The idea of relatively well-off pensioners scurrying down to the post office to pick up their £250 heating allowance is nauseating.

It's a basic moral principle for me that you don't take out what you haven't put in, quite a few million people are taking and yet have never given!

Indeed the underclass has made it a lifestyle choice to whine about their rights to and demand payment of the many benefits available on the welfare state.

Wasteful and stupid but not nauseating. I'll save that for the behaviour of politicians.
  • Perfect_Choice
    Options

Benefits are different to basic rights even for richer pensioners. I pay my NI to receive a state pension, if you don't pay me a pension, I don't expect to make any NI contributions then!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure