MSE News: Sky to increase prices for some...

Comments

• I don't know about a freephone number, but you can email mysky@sky.uk and they will phone you back if they need to talk to you.

Notice is considered served from the day you send the email.

I've just done so because their cancellations/retentions department was closed tonight

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/remove-a-package-or-cancel-your-subscription
  • editor1
    editor1 Posts: 287 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    I have a few weeks to decide if I'm leaving Sky, who have increased our 17Mbps BB, phone & Anytime calls cost to £23 a month.

I keep checking deals and cash back sites, to date nothing appears at a lower price point.

Have tried the online chat route complaining, utter failure as Retentions chap was India-Call centre based and requested did i desire him to begin Cancellation process.

Where are the decent deals, most seem PAYG now for phone, which is fine if on mobile contracts, not fine if still use landline only, as many pensioners still do.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    editor1 wrote: »
    I have a few weeks to decide if I'm leaving Sky, who have increased our 17Mbps BB, phone & Anytime calls cost to £23 a month.

I keep checking deals and cash back sites, to date nothing appears at a lower price point.

Have tried the online chat route complaining, utter failure as Retentions chap was India-Call centre based and requested did i desire him to begin Cancellation process.

Where are the decent deals, most seem PAYG now for phone, which is fine if on mobile contracts, not fine if still use landline only, as many pensioners still do.

It's £8 a month for Sky AnyTime calls so you're getting the BB/LR for £15 a month which is a good deal nowadays, given cash back sites are never a given I'd be happy with that if the BB's fast enough.
  • editor1
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    It's £8 a month for Sky AnyTime calls so you're getting the BB/LR for £15 a month which is a good deal nowadays, given cash back sites are never a given I'd be happy with that if the BB's fast enough.

Colin,

Just doing a few more searches, best I can come up with, as far as instructing Sky I wish to cancel, is a Now Broadband deal with Anytime calls, cost structure is £26 a month, set-up fee of £9.99 and Quidco cash back of £70, making it £21 a month for a 12 month contract if cash back actually is redeemed/paid out, which is never guaranteed.

However, at least i have a lowest benchmark to go back to Sky - was happy with Sky matching lowest deal possible online in January, namely a monthly fee of £21.99 a month, now increased to £23, so if could get £21 a month with Sky, why bother moving?
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

Have to agree - line rental plus bband and Anytime calls for £23 is very hard to beat and seems a good deal to me :)
  • editor1
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Have to agree - line rental plus bband and Anytime calls for £23 is very hard to beat and seems a good deal to me :)

Lets put it this way, I was happy with £21.99, which as a Retention deal was not brilliant to begin with compared to what others were offered in the January/February time line.

However, even £23 quid a month is cheaper than most of what is currently offered and my mother demands Anytime calls as part of any deal.

Still, if I don't chance my arm, will not get anywhere, but fact is unlikely to move as folks are not technically minded and are unable to set up the router. Mind you, the folks don't even make use of Broadband, basically it just for mine and my daughters use when we visit Granny's.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    editor1 wrote: »
    Still, if I don't chance my arm, will not get anywhere, but fact is unlikely to move as folks are not technically minded and are unable to set up the router. Mind you, the folks don't even make use of Broadband, basically it just for mine and my daughters use when we visit Granny's.

Won't hurt to ask for sure, when the LR went up to £18.99 from £17.40 last year not long after I re-negotiated I got them to put an additional £1.49 discount on the account to offset it.
  • editor1
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Won't hurt to ask for sure, when the LR went up to £18.99 from £17.40 last year not long after I re-negotiated I got them to put an additional £1.49 discount on the account to offset it.

Colin,

Finally managed to get a slot on online chat at Sky after a 2 hour wait, explained that unhappy with price increase and instructed Sky that Now TV broadband promotion means could get BB, phone and Anytime calls for 20 quid - this is a fact. Sky call back with counter offer, namely my expected price of £23 a month has been reduced to £16.99 a month, that's a 6 quid saving, so now on a far better deal than that arranged two months ago.

Last week Sky retentions team not interested, this week a monthly saving of 6 quid offered. Very happy with this and no complaints.

Moral of tale, if get a price increase notification moan, and if at first you don't succeed, do moan again to a different person. It obviously helps to have actual price offers from other ISPs, and ensure you base calculations on all cash backs.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Definitely worth getting in touch with them via the online chat. I was paying £18.99 for Broadband and Line rental. I was only 7 months into a 12 month contract - which I'd got on a great cashback/giftcard deal.

Without too much effort at all they offered me £8.99 a month for 12 months. Great deal - cheaper than a new provider.
  • editor1
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    bagand96 wrote: »
    Definitely worth getting in touch with them via the online chat. I was paying £18.99 for Broadband and Line rental. I was only 7 months into a 12 month contract - which I'd got on a great cashback/giftcard deal.

Without too much effort at all they offered me £8.99 a month for 12 months. Great deal - cheaper than a new provider.

Great saving that, however, my folks like their Anytime calls, so if add £8.00 on to your figure, we come out equal - quite happy as folks paying less than 12 months ago on the SME Sky 12 quid deal, and that had cash back from Sky and TCB, all paid out - we went for the top-end router though, which was not free.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure