Claimng deferred state pension online

Options

Comments

• pafpcg
    pafpcg Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Alter_ego wrote: »
    Sorry but I have to take issue here. The amount of extra pension is calculated using the "Weekly state pension amount" This includes Serps, GRB. etc etc.

Completely agree! By simplifying the calculation to refer only to the basic pension, I was trying to stress that the rate used was that on the date of claim, NOT the rate at the date of reaching eligibility for State Pension.

To highlight the relevance of this, anyone planning to claim a deferred state pension today should consider delaying making the claim until after the basic rate rises in April - the value of the deferral will automatically be boosted by 3%!

(Until a pension is claimed, most of us won't know the exact amount of the "weekly state pension" that DWP use to make the actual calculation for Extra State Pension. Next year, if CPI is lower than the triple-lock increase to the basic pension rate then the value of the deferral of GRP, SERPS, Class3A "Top-Up", etc will rise by only CPI - that's why I wanted to keep it simple. )
  • MikeM
    MikeM Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Returning to the original posts I too have been trying to claim my deferred pension online.

I have attempted to phone numerous times in the hope of speaking to a human and have been directed from 'pillar to post' and back again by the automated phone system. I have been kept waiting on hold for 40 minutes at a time before abandoning the call and all hope ! I too have been frustrated by the lack of 'invitation' code !

In my particular case I wanted to get an illustration of lump sum amount or increased pension before committing to either.

At some stage I spoke to a guy in 'technical' who informed that the Government Gateway (to which I had previously painfully subscribed) was being closed and a new web site would become available on Monday 19th March. Unfortunately I forgot to ask him for the address and can see no such site !!

In despair I downloaded the online form in order to make a postal application but on a quick read could not see how to get a 'projection' rather than make a commitment.

Does anyone have a working 'help line' phone number I plead ? I cannot believe what a miserable experience this has already been and that the whole process of claiming my pension is so complicated.

Furthermore it seems impossible to accurately calculate what I am entitled to and I have little faith that it will be corerct !
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    Options
    MikeM wrote: »
    In my particular case I wanted to get an illustration of lump sum amount or increased pension before committing to either.
    In despair I downloaded the online form in order to make a postal application but on a quick read could not see how to get a 'projection' rather than make a commitment.
    Furthermore it seems impossible to accurately calculate what I am entitled to and I have little faith that it will be corerct !

There have been a lot of discussions about deferred state pension over the last few years on here - a targeted search may prove fruitful.
    I'm fairly sure that DWP can't / won't give you estimates or projections on your deferral amount - but it's not that difficult to work out. Indeed you must do this anyway, if you want to check their eventual calculation, given your lack of faith in its accuracy!
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Returning to the original posts I too have been trying to claim my deferred pension online.

I have attempted to phone numerous times in the hope of speaking to a human and have been directed from 'pillar to post' and back again by the automated phone system. I have been kept waiting on hold for 40 minutes at a time before abandoning the call and all hope ! I too have been frustrated by the lack of 'invitation' code !

At some stage I spoke to a guy in 'technical' who informed that the Government Gateway (to which I had previously painfully subscribed) was being closed and a new web site would become available on Monday 19th March. Unfortunately I forgot to ask him for the address and can see no such site !!

Does anyone have a working 'help line' phone number I plead ? I cannot believe what a miserable experience this has already been and that the whole process of claiming my pension is so complicated.

As I was the OP, I fully sympathise ! I've also given up with the phone lines - I got far too frustrated with the interminable queues so I decided to leave it until after the start of the new tax year:(
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had a projection by a very friendly guy a few weeks ago. I have a note of the number but I'm just going out and will be home about 9pm so I'll try to find the number and post it tomorrow. All i actually remember was that I ignored the options and waited on the line.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • MikeM
    Options
    BrewerDave

I was in some way pleased to hear of your difficulties !! I thought it was just me being a bit stupid.

I have resolved that today I will tackle this once again. I was inclined as you were to postpone it to the new tax year.

If the previous poster had a number that might help ?
  • pafpcg
    pafpcg Posts: 882 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone have a working 'help line' phone number I plead ?

I have a 2015 letter from the DWP "NCLE Deferral Team/BMD" which gives their telephone number as:
    0800 731 7898 Textphone 0800 731 7339 Fax 0191 613 8185 (The fax number would suggest the team is based in Newcastle.)

I never had any success contacting them by phone through the DWP channels - I resorted to writing a letter in Febuary 2015 explaining what I wanted to know about the impact of my pension deferral would have upon my partner's pension rights and received a five-page letter in reply in April (but answering only a selection of my questions).

Good luck!
  • MikeM
    Options
    10:30 am. Called 0800 731 7898 (State Pensions Claim line)

Selected Option 1 which directed me to:

0800 169 0154 (D of W&P Helpline) that then directed me to:

0800 731 0175 (Online Forecasts)

Selected Option 2 (Existing Claims) and eventually spoke to Vicky who told me that the promised 'new' websites were not working, she could not help me and that I should call:

0800 731 7898 (the number I originally called !) but select Option 2.

Put in queue (again) and waited about 20 mins before speaking to Gemma who said that she could help me and she did !

Gave me a 'forecast' and processed my claim which took about 30 mins. No need to send marriage certificates and generally a tolerable process !! Gemma was knowledgeable, helpful, provided some good advice and answered all my questions.

So a previous poster was right, make a flask of tea and wait, wait, wait.

Was also told that the new websites were just form filler-ins and results were then sent to the claims people.

All in all a bit of a 'shambles'
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Options
    Found my note of the number, I had written 0800 731 7898 and WAIT in caps. So same as Mike. One useful thing I was told was that they calculate projections using the rate of pension when you deferred (I had been drawing it for some years) So the final figure will usually be more.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Options
    The fact that they told you that they refer back to the pension that would have been payable when you originally deferred rather than simply take the current pension as of the date you requested the information makes no sense to me at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure