Architect issue with extension drawings

13»

Comments

• kasworld
    kasworld Posts: 16 Forumite
    Furts wrote: »
    There are architectural types who are rogues - one exists not too far from my home! However we only have one side of the story. This person may be fairly genuine and we do not know how the £100 has arisen. However the stance of OP is also puzzling. Here one would say something along the lines of ... "I engaged you in writing, here is the copy, here are the terms I set, here is your confirmation, this is what was agreed..." Then "your invoice is £100 over what was agreed so I am not paying the £100. However if you can provide me with a valid reason for this in writing then I will pay it. However I am making it clear there will be no more unforeseen extra charges payable by me" Simple, job done and move on. So why are we not at this stage?

Going back to the first post OP may have made a typo. But if not then it is clear OP cannot tell a quote from an estimate. I raised this query earlier but OP has not responded to this. This is concerning and it is also a balanced approach - but integrity is also important. The architectural person should have integrity.

Equally I sense OP has not been business like, professional, and logical in their dealings with the matter. I have made observations and also used the word absurd various times.

So neither party comes out of this as squeaky clean.

OP gives no consideration to what work, and costs, the architectural person has incurred. Visits cost money - there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Added to this it is possible OP lives in a smallish community - cancel number one and one might then find the subsequent competitors have weighed up the situation and are either unavailable or now more expensive.

Hi Furt,

Whilst I appreciate some of the points you have stated from a neutral point of view, the majority of assumptions you have made are incorrect and are not relevant to this particular case. I agree with you that an estimate over email is not set in stone nor did I assume it was, hence why I invited this guy to my house to see the works involved and confirm the price. Which he did, twice! The moment he changed the price, he broke the terms of our verbal agreement which has now been confirmed to me as the case. It is really that simple.

I would like to thank everyone on this thread for the advice given, I now have a better understanding of where I stand and will be contacting the architect to come up with some form of agreement. A lesson learned for future projects.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    kasworld wrote: »
    Hi Furt,

Whilst I appreciate some of the points you have stated from a neutral point of view, the majority of assumptions you have made are incorrect and are not relevant to this particular case. I agree with you that an estimate over email is not set in stone nor did I assume it was, hence why I invited this guy to my house to see the works involved and confirm the price. Which he did, twice! The moment he changed the price, he broke the terms of our verbal agreement which has now been confirmed to me as the case. It is really that simple.

I would like to thank everyone on this thread for the advice given, I now have a better understanding of where I stand and will be contacting the architect to come up with some form of agreement. A lesson learned for future projects.

No point arguing but you still have not clarified each conversation and whether the terminology used was estimate or quotation. Add to this regardless of what you believe was said the architectural type may have a different recollection. None of us Forum folks know the reality here.

It seems neither you, nor the architectural type has buttoned things up in writing. Neither does it seem that you have had a polite discussion, negotiation, or whatever over matters in order to clear the air and establish where you stand.

I have simply suggested you act in a business like manner, and my sentences reflect a typical scenario on how you should be dealing with matters. Of course there is more than one way, but you are about to embark on building works so you need to set out your stall even before the word go. If you do not then there could be hassles ahead.
  • DRP
    DRP Posts: 4,273 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Regardless of who's fault the current situation is, if you don't trust him now, then you are unlikely to be happy going forward.

I'd pull the plug now and feed back to him your reasons. A few hundred quid is nothing compared to peace of mind in the grand scheme of things.

(for the record - from your side of the story it sounds like your designer has been pretty sloppy/shoddy)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure