PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    That's not how Pastures thinks and I expect she was "waiting to be asked/told" and assumed it wasnt happening because she hadnt been told.

She'll probably come on and tell you....
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    another grim start but I have washing on because it looks as though there will be sun, at least for a few hours. I also want to grab some time cycling

No money has been taken for my new veg delivery, it looks as though either I have been overlooked or more likely, it is not worth the fuel to deliver here. Ok, so I will leave `local` and go large again but have to wait another week or more if I set my mind to it, via freezer diving. I don`t intend to get more food in so will be relying on my ratatouille, leeks, peas and allotment chard and parsley. I also have oranges, grapefruits, loads of all types of frozen berries, dozens of jars of gooseberries and my apple drawers contain plentiful apples, beautiful tasting and long lasting christmas pippin. I will also soak alfala seeds for sprouting, they will be ready by the weekend

Two meals today are sorted, ratatouille and fish in foil, frozen celery/mushroom pasta sauce which just needs added milk for creaminess.

Breakfast was overnight soaked oats,shelled hemp, milk, prunes and quite a few raspberries and blueberries and a few blackcurrants. Taken from the fridge and just warmed in the microwave. Nice and not difficult to eat.

I have decided to throw the rest of the frozen stollen bits out, will open the bag before I bin, so I don`t get tempted to fish them out. I am not enjoying them and they are a highly calorific mouthful. I was only eating them because I bought them

lol, I went to nightschool to learn macrame, we all had plant hangers
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Crumpets with Marmite and a banana for breakfast. I don't fancy any tea today so I had a big glass of water instead.

I made a chickpea salad yesterday so I will have that on toast for lunch with an avocado.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    I made this last night https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2018/01/05/aubergine-and-kale-satay-30p-vg-v-df-gf/
    The only changes I made were to use fresh chilli and fresh kale which I don't think impacted on the end result.
    I didn't really enjoy it, it was edible but no more than that. I found it lacked texture and taste. IMHO it would have worked better with waxy potatoes or meaty mushrooms rather than aubergines with some sweet peppers added in near the end of cooking for some bite. Taste-wise it was very bland and I ended up adding quite a bit of tabasco and lemon juice to liven it a bit. I did chill the remaining portion with a view to having it for lunch but I think it may well be consigned to the food waste bin:(.

Gloomy, damp and chilly here today so may well liberate some scotch broth from the freezer for lunch. I've a pork steak defrosting for tonight but haven't decided what I'm doing with it yet:)
  • Need2bthrifty
    Options
    Morning All,

Damp and dreich here too, but I need to get out and rack up some miles before the rain comes across the country.

Shame about the new recipe Caronc, I have also found some of her recipes need a bit more spices/herbs added for my taste.

Think I will have soup for lunch too, just not quite decided what kind yet, I'll have some chilli out of the freezer for tea just cant decide yet what to have with it maybe chips, maybe rice, maybe baked potato, anybody's guess - having a very indecisive kinda day ;)
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    MrAPJI wrote: »
    That's it ...spider plants would hang from them and seemed to thrive no matter how they were cared for :)

Morning to all :)

I enjoyed a hearty breakfast ( porridge, toast and marmalade, hot grapefruit, a glass of orange, coffee) before setting off for a swim. The pool was empty which was great :)

The next task on the agenda is clearing out a volume of paperwork which will be heading for the shredder. I will then sort out all the books I've accumulated which will never be read again - why didn't I do it sooner - learnt my lesson and will not let this situation arise again :)

Just as I was typing this, I had a knock on the door. It was a guy with a yorkshire accent asking whether I would buy some dish cloths/cleaning products from him. When I explained that I didn't buy at the door, he became rather annoyed. He stated that he had recently been released from prison :eek: and needed people to buy his goods, after which he slammed my front door and marched off. I've just called Mary, telling her 'not' to open her door this guy. Most odd and I'm now going to report the incident :(.

There have been a few Police warnings about these callers recently.
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/714206/Nottingham-Knockers-scam-police-warning-burglaries-doorstep-duster-sellers
    Slimming World at target
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 January 2018 at 11:58AM
    Options
    I was upstairs on my own and happened to see one of these people walk up the gravel to my house, no way was I going to open the door to him. He tried the bell, I ignored it, pushed the porch door open and knocked on the inner porch door, which I always keep locked. I must say that it shook me, no-one ever knocks on the inner porch door, both outer and inner are solid doors. I do leave the outer door unlocked during the day, delivery people are always very grateful for that but the inner door is as secure as a front door

Also last night, pitch black, I was in a front room with the light so it was obvious I was in. Ring on the doorbell, went into the inner porch and switched outside and inner porch lights on so I could see through the glass panel, thinking it had to be a neighbour. It was a young woman with an RSPCA tabard. I felt so sorry for her but I sent her on her way, nicely. I am shocked that they are sending these chuggers out at night
  • Irenadler
    Options
    Can't be a*sed

Ha, thanks Hollyharvey, that gave me a chuckle!:rotfl:

Here was me thinking it was some fancy cooking phrase.....;)
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • Irenadler
    Options
    Hey all

Crikey, you lot type fast, look away for a day and can hardly catch up.....

Sending out sympathy to those who have post-Xmas blues, but, thank you to everyone and the inspirational/motivational speakers links. Definitely need some of that.

Breakfast (yesterday): nearly naked porridge (the porridge, not me!) Naked as in the diet proscribes it being made with water, no additions to it except a bit of honey.... And almost half the dry measure of oats. I mean, it's hardly hitting the spot, is it?

Lunch: chicken with lots of veg, livened up with a sweet chilli sauce, that's more like it. Diet yogurt.

Tea: low carb sandwich filled with salad. Ok, I confess, that last bit of stuffing somehow crept onto the plate. In my defence, the dog helped me by eating a little bit of that.

Breakfast: same as yesterday. I am not feeling sorry for myself, I am motivated to get rid of what I can only describe as my own (under the skin) self-inflating rubber ring which resides around my middle....
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,225 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Irenadler wrote: »
    Ha, thanks Hollyharvey, that gave me a chuckle!:rotfl:

Here was me thinking it was some fancy cooking phrase.....;)

CBA is cooking phrase or ingredient here on CFO:)

I told you I hated garlic, upset tum now & up at silly o clock, I can still taste the stuff :(. The rest of the nut loaf is headed for the bin

Due to garlic poisoning, no breakfast, and in recliner watching "stuff"
    Shame really, it is a nice sunny day out there but dare not risk being out "just in case"

I think if I fancy lunch it will be the other part baked baguette with cheese salad

Dinner is too far way to think about
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure