Solar ... In the news

Options

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This article caught my eye, not just because it's about using PV and storage to help with disasters and grid resiliency, but because all such uses and deployments will mean an ever faster and greater rollout of storage, from which we all (me included :)) will benefit in the longer term. Or to be clearer, I'll be able to play with storage sooner as the 'longer term' gets shortened.

New Florida legislation could make solar-plus-storage the go-to for disaster relief and resiliency
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    sheep seem to love their facilities maintenance role in the power generation sector
    I read somewhere that some are growing mushrooms under PV panels. And in India, they're putting panels over rivers & canals to prevent water evaporation.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    It's interesting that yet again you equate fossil fuels with nuclear.
    Perhaps because fossil fuels and nuclear are not renewables and they are highly polluting either during or after generation.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    NigeWick wrote: »
    Perhaps because fossil fuels and nuclear are not renewables and they are highly polluting either during or after generation.

Very true, plus, of course, I was talking about the economics, but according to him, they don't share the same economic laws as each other, or renewables, and he "cannot think of a single scientific or academic group that agrees with you [me] on the subject."

At some point FF supporters and nuclear campaigners have to accept that renewables have won the economic fight. But till then it's still interesting and fun to exchange information.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    The world keeps moving forward.

Tesla says solar roof production has started in Buffalo
    (Reuters) - Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) said on Tuesday it began manufacturing its premium solar roof tiles at the company’s Buffalo, New York factory last month and has started surveying the homes of customers who made a deposit of $1,000 to reserve the product last year.

• Martyn1981
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    On the subject of subsidy free PV farms (and the benefits of PPA's), here's another one, a very big 'nother one!

Second huge solar farm in the works as INRG plots 120MW post-subsidy array

This article gives a bit more detail about the new scheme, but more importantly looks into the difficulties of going subsidy free in the UK. It looks tough, but not impossible, and solar costs keep falling further and further, certainly further than I'd even dreamed they could by this point in time.

INRG in pursuit of ‘perfect answer’ for subsidy-free solar economics

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

Just reading one of the news feeds I usually use for updates & noticed that it had picked up on a tweet from Ofgem a few hours ago ...
    Feed-in Tariff rates will remain current until March 2018. Future tariff rates can be found here: http://!!!!!!/EnpG30hGNNZ
    ... so no change in the tariff applicable for new systems for now ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Hi

Just reading one of the news feeds I usually use for updates & noticed that it had picked up on a tweet from Ofgem a few hours ago ...

... so no change in the tariff applicable for new systems for now ...

HTH
    Z

That's interesting, it's very slightly different to the list I've been using in the FAQ's (by about 0.1p/kWh) every quarter. I'll change the reference to this document instead.

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 January 2018 at 4:34PM
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    That's interesting, it's very slightly different to the list I've been using in the FAQ's (by about 0.1p/kWh) every quarter. I'll change the reference to this document instead.
    :D ... I'd guess that the link Ofgem provided would be the official list! ... :D
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    :D ... I'd guess that the link Ofgem provided would be the official list! ... :D

When it comes to OFGEM you can never be too careful. ;)

FAQ's amended. Thanks again.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback